Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

I have a ABM1000 & a JJB600    I would say that the JJ head  for me has a more clinical sound & I like it more for Foxton ,JJ , Chris Squire & even slap type stuff .  With the graphic & huge amount of power I don't cut any middle I  boost certain bass & treble frequencies that gets a sound I like & it cuts through live . You can not get these amps to sound like each other ,close but not the same , 

They’re definitely not to be avoided!! Serious gear and great guys @Ashdown Engineering .

My ABM 900 eventually got swapped out for a MAG 300 for a ‘fatter’ sound believe it or not. They have different versions of for example 1x15 cabs -  different voicings (and sizes, etc). I chose 4 early Klystron 15” cabs because the ABM 15”s were bit middly in comparison. Well worth trying Ashdown gear out. 👍🏻

http://ashdownmusic.com/artists/113/J-Capachino-Carter/

74B0277C-51B9-4B55-9545-BD8E3249C70F.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

There was a head of doom in PMT when I went there the other day. Would have liked to try it but there was noone in the bass area, so I didn't get to. Nice looking thing though!

It's a monster, I must admit to not being greatly impressed by any of the Ashdown cabs I've used, but my Head of Doom is going nowhere, it's a keeper.

20171217_191513.jpg

47 minutes ago, doomed said:

It's a monster, I must admit to not being greatly impressed by any of the Ashdown cabs I've used, but my Head of Doom is going nowhere, it's a keeper.

20171217_191513.jpg

Would it have been too much for them to put the graphic along the bottom so you could make a face with those meters!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Would it have been too much for them to put the graphic along the bottom so you could make a face with those meters!

You don't need to make a face with the meters, you make a face struggling to prevent voiding yourself when you hit the brown note... 😂

On 12/31/2017 at 18:18, doomed said:

20171217_191513.jpg

So what's it like in a band situation. Loving the look of it in all black.

50 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

So what's it like in a band situation. Loving the look of it in all black.

You're not going to have any trouble being heard in any band going through one of these. There's any tone you could want in it regardless of what they call it.

6 minutes ago, doomed said:

You're not going to have any trouble being heard in any band going through one of these. There's any tone you could want in it regardless of what they call it.

Out of curiosity what kind of band are you in. Any sound clips of your band using this rig. ?

What bass you using with it.

Dave

Metal, doomy/stoner type stuff drop b tuned, nothing recorded with it yet, I've got quite a few basses but only used it with my Tokai Hardpuncher so far, i cant see any bass being a problem with it, there's a lot of variation in eq built into it.

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2018 at 18:12, edstraker123 said:

Waited in all day for the courier which Ashdown were meant to have arranged to collect my defective B - Social . Didn't turn up and no response to my messages . Dreadful customer service ! It will definitely be the last Ashdown product I ever buy.

Hi Ed, apologies but sounds like there is some mis communication here. We were closed over Christmas and re opened on Tuesday so this week has been hectic catching up. Couriers can be a nightmare on occasion but generally speaking if you were promised a collection then it should have happened. Please can you email the details of your situation to [email protected] and I will get to the bottom of it for you. Apologies again but we will get you sorted. 

• Like 1

As I bought the amp via your ebay store I submitted a claim through Ebay as the item was defective - you did accept the return request so they've provided me with a returns postage label and I sent the amp back to you myself today. It should be with you tomorrow at which point I should receive my refund.

You had agreed to arrange a Jan 3rd collection before your Christmas closedown.

It's great that Ashdown post on here. I'd like hear their comments on the hit and miss QC concerning the B Social, as outlined in the linked thread. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/316070-ashdown-b-social-75w-version-new-b-stock-in-italy-£200/

Don't want to have a dig as I really like Ashdown stuff, but this is genuine feedback on what I found when I opened my amp up.