Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

5 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

The LB30 is a phenomenal head - I'm far from being an Ashdown fanboy (as you may have seen from my B- Social comments - and I hated the CTM-15 too ! ) but  a friend was selling one and I couldn't resist it.

I've got it teamed up with an Ashdown VS115 and every bass you put through it sounds amazing - not many bass purchases are keepers but the LB30 definitely is. I couldn't recommend it more highly as a home amp.

Here it is with some acoustic loveliness :

20181231_135206.thumb.jpg.ca52af02ccf33ea6daae5582a6937fef.jpg

Said friend still misses this amp greatly. It's pure ear candy. In terms of tone it's easily the best amp I've ever had.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, edstraker123 said:

I did wonder about pairing it with a more expensive cab - but so far have managed to resist the temptation !

Nah, don't do it. It's a great pairing with that 1x15 cab. Although if you were gigging  I would see the sense in that - the cab is heavy.

1 minute ago, edstraker123 said:

Yes I'm not sure how much better (if any) it could be especially at neighbour friendly volume.

Well I have an awesome Barefaced Super 12 and it's a stonkingly good cab, but I wouldn't go out and buy an upgrade cab for the LB. It might end up sounding better but it's great as is and I don't believe any improvement would justify the spends.

• 4 weeks later...

In early January I bought an almost 10 year old ABM 500. Used it on a gig and it was as good as I remembered. Get to it`s second gig and at soundcheck it started making a very bad noise. I mailed the guys on here and they said send it down. A couple of days later, I got a call to ask if I would be at home on Thursday so TNT could deliver my amp all fixed and ready to go. And all this was done for free! They wouldn`t even take payment for the courier.

Ashdown didn`t have any obligation to repair the amp: I bought an old ABM from a shop down south that looked newish but could have been abused to within an inch of it`s life. These things don`t come with logbooks, mores the pity. And DPD didn`t handle it with kid gloves on the way down to Essex either!

So a big thanks and thumbs up for Ashdown.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1