Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

1 minute ago, Quilly said:

Yes 30w is 30w at the end of the day . It might sound as loud as a 100w class d amp . From experience 100w is probably the entry level for a useful amp for valves 

That's kinda where I was landing. If 100W is entry level for tubes, for me the equivalent would be a 250W for D class ie I really wouldn't want anything less. I'm guessing that 1:2.5 ratio is a reasonable yardstick / rule of thumb for tube watts vs d class watts?

2 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

That's kinda where I was landing. If 100W is entry level for tubes, for me the equivalent would be a 250W for D class ie I really wouldn't want anything less. I'm guessing that 1:2.5 ratio is a reasonable yardstick / rule of thumb for tube watts vs d class watts?

I play with a ctm100 and it’s loud ‘enough ‘ but not earth shatteringly loud . It doesn’t have tons of headroom either. I have a 500w AB MOSFET trace Elliot and it would eat it for breakfast 

5 minutes ago, Quilly said:

I play with a ctm100 and it’s loud ‘enough ‘ but not earth shatteringly loud . It doesn’t have tons of headroom either. I have a 500w AB MOSFET trace Elliot and it would eat it for breakfast 

"It" and "it" being? Just want to make sure I'm not going to get indigestion 😄 

3 minutes ago, Quilly said:

The ctm 100, if you want real power go for an SVT

Sorry I'm being slow - does the ctm eat the TE for brekky or (as I'd be expecting) the other way around?

Yeh I saw a 500w SVT get traded the other day. And there have been two Mesa 4:88s up for sale too, both at good prices. 

Sorry I'm being slow - does the ctm eat the TE for brekky or (as I'd be expecting) the other way around?

Yeh I saw a 500w SVT get traded the other day. And there have been two Mesa 4:88s up for sale too, both at good prices. 

The trace is far more potent that the ctm 100, well it is 500w. I saw an Ashdown 427 small block for sake in reverb...they are beasts 

But don't you find it frustrating having to connect so many amps up in series just to get some "proper TE watts" coming out the other end? 😀

🤓

The ABM delivers “proper Trace Watts” all by itself, it’s a beast :) Tell you what actually, my NYE gig was a loud rock band and I had to switch the RM out for the ABM. I didn’t have PA support and the RM was loud enough but had nothing left for peaks. The ABM just destroyed the room in comparison 🤣

• Like 1

Just now, Al Krow said:

Was that an 800W RM?

Nope 500W. I’ve had the 800 in the past (the original one) and it was amazing. Wish I’d never sold it (a recurring theme for me on this thread!) and so I went for the 500 Evo ii when it was released because of the headphone socket too. Part of me is tempted to shop it for the 800 again but there’s no point, the ABM takes care of that volume :)

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

I have a CTM100 and yes, it is loud enough but only just. I was looking at the full meter on fridays gig as it was at eye level and it was happily bouncing past the 40w section.

the irony is, playing it at home is great, it is controllable and sounds nice quiet too

Yes playing a 300w valve monster at low levels is no fun . 

I don't think you read what I said. My CTM 100 at low levels, ie, not above talking volume is great - it is my goto practicing bass rig in my room, even late at night when I have it very quiet.

A valve amp only needs to be pushed if you want to distort the power amp section, if you don't need to do that, it is fine from silent to loud.

15 hours ago, Al Krow said:

15 hours ago, Quilly said:

Just to add another can of worms to the pan: I think it depends on the tone you want. I've done small indoor gigs with a Little Bastard 30, and I've done outdoor gigs with a CTM-100 where the rest of the band have suggested I might want to turn down a bit! No PA support in either case, but they were being run into a well-voiced 2x12.

That said, the tone I go for is all about the mids, and I'm more than happy to let the amp break up. If I were after a cleaner sound and/or thick, chest-rattling low frequencies, I suspect I might need a higher wattage...and/or more speakers.

• Like 1