Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The new 'Ashdown Doom Metro'

"...and the part which adds a good chunk of the added cost is the three isolated slave outputs, these each have their own small transformer for true isolation. So add to the cost an extra three transformers, all of which are handwired by one guy 10 miles down the road..."

So my little grenade if I may: @Ashdown Engineering definitely not sure when folk are going to have call for three isolated outputs? Not really heard anyone (including from my fellow BC Ashdown lovers on this thread) say that this is the killer feature they've been waiting for? You'll know if this was widely market tested, or just felt like a good idea at the time!

What possibility of offering a slimmed down, lighter version of the Doom with the same power, steel housing and UK build and with its excellent design (and still providing that extra VU meter, of course! :)) but without the additional slave outputs - which for many of us simply represent additional redundancy, weight and cost? 

What do you think? Maybe be a winner?

That gets my vote!

13 hours ago, Al Krow said:

The new 'Ashdown Doom Metro'

"...and the part which adds a good chunk of the added cost is the three isolated slave outputs, these each have their own small transformer for true isolation. So add to the cost an extra three transformers, all of which are handwired by one guy 10 miles down the road..."

So my little grenade if I may: @Ashdown Engineering definitely not sure when folk are going to have call for three isolated outputs? Not really heard anyone (including from my fellow BC Ashdown lovers on this thread) say that this is the killer feature they've been waiting for? You'll know if this was widely market tested, or just felt like a good idea at the time!

What possibility of offering a slimmed down, lighter version of the Doom with the same power, steel housing and UK build and with its excellent design (and still providing that extra VU meter, of course! :)) but without the additional slave outputs - which for many of us simply represent additional redundancy, weight and cost? 

What do you think? Maybe be a winner?

Cheers Al. Totally hear what you are saying, however this is a signature amp built for Geezer Butler.... Built precisely to what Geezer and his tech required with some input from us of course and the Slave Outputs were/are important to what they want. Nothing about the amp was specified down to 'felt like a good idea at the time' I promise. This was never a project to just stick an artists name on a load of existing amps and just take peoples money like one of our competitors in particular may have just done.... with that I guess they have to make the money back they are paying him somehow... ;-)

Main point is that anyone buying a Head Of Doom is getting exactly the same amp as Geezer is using built by one of the same two people who built Geezers not a watered down version with his name on.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

Cheers Al. Totally hear what you are saying, however this is a signature amp built for Geezer Butler.... Built precisely to what Geezer and his tech required with some input from us of course and the Slave Outputs were/are important to what they want. Nothing about the amp was specified down to 'felt like a good idea at the time' I promise. This was never a project to just stick an artists name on a load of existing amps and just take peoples money like one of our competitors in particular may have just done.... with that I guess they have to make the money back they are paying him somehow... ;-)

Main point is that anyone buying a Head Of Doom is getting exactly the same amp as Geezer is using built by one of the same two people who built Geezers not a watered down version with his name on.

Gotcha! 

Let's be honest there are few decent self-respecting bass players who are going to buy an amp just 'cos some superstar has one. They're going to buy an amp because it's a great amp. You're as likely to get 'Geezer who?' from anyone who didn't grow up in the 1970s AND was a Black Sabbath fan, these days.

I just sense there is an opportunity for Ashdown, having got the basic design and production already sorted, in that there would be quite a significant market for a Doom 'Liberty' version with no Slaves. I'd be happy to wager (I'll let you come up with the sum) that the Doom Liberty (with appropriate reduction in price to reflect the lack of Slaves) would outsell the 'Geezer' Doom by 3 to 1. If you put a HPF / LPF on it, make that 5 to 1! I'll leave you guys to ponder the economics.

I love the look of the Geezer Doom. But I hate the thought of carting around an unnecessary extra [10?] lbs and dislike even more spending an extra £250+ for transformers and isolated outputs I'm never going to use (and still not hearing a real case from any of my more expert BCers for having them). So yup I'll never be tempted to buy a Geezer Doom. A Doom 'Liberty' / 'Lite' / 'Metro' or whatever you want to call it on the other hand, with the same great looks (and maybe a HPF / LPF to boot) - now that would be an altogether different prospect.

Cheers, Al

Edited by Al Krow

Just a thought.  I’d never buy a Geezer amp, but having gigged for 30 odd years, I completely understand why his tech would want transformer isolated outputs..it’s the only way to really avoid noise problems when linking gear (and options are always good).  I use Sansamps etc most of the time, but always carry a good passive transformer DI for those venues where the noises are persistent.  So, I’d happily pay a few quid more on any amp if it had a good transformer DI and not an “electrically balanced” one.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/31/2017 at 15:22, Merton said:

It is the best bass amp I’ve ever used. One day I’ll own another when I can afford it :)

Hi Merton, can you tell me what cabinet you're using. While I'm loving the sound of the amp I think I'm just not getting enough clean headroom. I think my cabinet (a 300W 2*10 Genz Benz focus LT) isnt efficient or 'big' enough for this head. I think I need a 4 * 10.

On 01/02/2018 at 08:25, Quilly said:

Hi Merton, can you tell me what cabinet you're using. While I'm loving the sound of the amp I think I'm just not getting enough clean headroom. I think my cabinet (a 300W 2*10 Genz Benz focus LT) isnt efficient or 'big' enough for this head. I think I need a 4 * 10.

Sorry for the delay in replying, been manic!

When I had the CTM100 I gigged it with either one or two Barefaced Super Compact cabs or an Ashdown VS212. All these cabs are quite efficient, but I never had a completely clean tone (nor was I aiming for one). Two Super Compacts was the best though in terms of volume and clarity and I would dearly love to have that rig again. One day maybe...

Edited by Merton

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Sorry for the delay in replying, been manic!

When I had the CTM100 I hugged it with either one or two Barefaced Super Compact cabs or an Ashdown VS212. All these cabs are quite efficient, but I never had a completely clean tone (nor was I aiming for one). Two Super Compacts was the best though in terms of volume and clarity and I would dearly love to have that rig again. One day maybe...

I just want to chip in and say I used to run my CTM100 with a Barefaced SC, I completely agree with Merton on his experiences. 

7 minutes ago, Fisheth said:

I just want to chip in and say I used to run my CTM100 with a Barefaced SC, I completely agree with Merton on his experiences. 

Especially the bit about hugging I hope. 😂

(now edited my original post, boring)

Edited by Merton

46 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

I had an Evo II Mag 300 once. Tried over three years and various cabs to get a good sound. Wasn't in there anywhere. Put me off for life. Love to try an ABM with the sliders though. Watching the sale ads for a decent price.

The Evo II Mag 300s (or beat up versions thereof!) has also been my (disappointing) experience of Ashdowns, but it sounds like the ABMs are a step up from  what our fellow BCers have said on this thread.

Edited by Al Krow

Now going head to head! 

Would appear that the CTM has (possibly?) the better EQ and tone shaping controls and, of course, that all important trademark VU meter :) 

The Handbox is 3kg lighter and has a 'drive' button.

CTM is £999 from PMT online. The Handbox is likely to be available for around £850 delivered (best guess based on Euros 950 being the WoT reported list price).

@Merton I've got a sneaky suspicion that you're going to be one of the first to try both on this forum? If so, looking forward to your review!

Image result for ashdown ctm 100

P2080010.jpg

Edited by Al Krow

Just now, Merton said:

Quite possibly @Al Krow - I will happily share my thoughts if that’s the case. I’ve said it a few times on this thread alread that the CTM100 is my favourite bass amp ever so the Handbox will have a lot to live up to :)

What cab are you pairing your CTM with?

18 minutes ago, Merton said:

I don’t actually have a CTM100 at the moment (cash flow issues forced me to sell) but it’s been paired with a Barefaced Super Compact, 2 BF SCs or an Ashdown VS212 in the past. Bloody glorious with all of them.

Sorry to hear. So you've let go your favourite amp head of all time, which btw is amazingly high praise and does make me want to try out a CTM100! When are we all making this fabled trip to the Ashdown factory? (And I will see if I can persuade them to take out the redundancy of multiple transformers for isolated outputs no one is going to use on the Geezer head and make it more affordable and more compact and lightweight at the same! :) )

So what you now got to fill the CTM's shoes?  

Currently using an ABM500, which I picked up for very very little off eBay as it was advertised as an Ash Down :D Made the pain of losing the CTM easier. One day I’ll have a CTM100 again, at the moment quite looking forward to getting my mitts on the CTM30 Little Stubby though 😇

• Like 1

Given the size and nature of Ashdown, adopting the 'big corporate' tone of voice would be inappropriate.  However, they must ensure that the factual info they publish is accurate and unambiguous.  On this thread, they've accepted that and apologised for failing to do so with the CTM15.  That's good enough for me and I applaud them for their readiness to come out in to the open, engage with us - and take the praise (usually) and criticism (occasionally).

• 3 weeks later...