Why become a member? ×

Please tell me why I should avoid Ashdown amps? (aka why Ashdown are just great!)

Al Krow

On 1/5/2018 at 13:00, Maude said:

It's great that Ashdown post on here. I'd like hear their comments on the hit and miss QC concerning the B Social, as outlined in the linked thread. 

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/316070-ashdown-b-social-75w-version-new-b-stock-in-italy-£200/

Don't want to have a dig as I really like Ashdown stuff, but this is genuine feedback on what I found when I opened my amp up. 

Yes it is good, but they tend to dip in and out of basschat without having a regular presence and only seem to pursue the problems that suit them.

6 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Yes it is good, but they tend to dip in and out of basschat without having a regular presence and only seem to pursue the problems that suit them.

I think it's more of a case of having time , I run my own business & the odd email gets missed ..mainly due to plusnet having a crap email service .

On 1/8/2018 at 21:18, Kevin Dean said:

I think it's more of a case of having time , I run my own business & the odd email gets missed ..mainly due to plusnet having a crap email service .

That might be OK if you are a "one-man-band", although IMO these days it's not acceptable for any business venture that wants to take itself seriously no matter how small.

However Ashdown aren't a one man band. They are a reasonably big company with a global presence. Their marketing department should be regularly checking all on-line mentions of the brand especially sites like Basschat which can be very influential when it comes to making or breaking a brand/product. TBH it would probably be better for their reputation if Ashdown didn't have any presence here, as dipping into threads weeks apart and only dealing with the easy questions that superficially make them look good is probably more damaging in the long term.

10 hours ago, BigRedX said:

That might be OK if you are a "one-man-band", although IMO these days it's not acceptable for any business venture that wants to take itself seriously no matter how small.

However Ashdown aren't a one man band. They are a reasonably big company with a global presence. Their marketing department should be regularly checking all on-line mentions of the brand especially sites like Basschat which can be very influential when it comes to making or breaking a brand/product. TBH it would probably be better for their reputation if Ashdown didn't have any presence here, as dipping into threads weeks apart and only dealing with the easy questions that superficially make them look good is probably more damaging in the long term.

Sorry to disappoint Big Red but sadly the last week or few has been a bit hectic, we have 2 members of staff at the CES show this week and last moment preparations for that meant despite long days last week we fell behind on some bits and then you are forever playing catch up.

We are also finishing off the final aspects of the new 2018 products which launch in 2 weeks at the NAMM show. Also today we launched our new website which for the first time we have done totally in house so this has also been a huge drain on us. Then new Ashdown 2018 brochure to complete and get to the printers before Friday or it won’t make the show.

Take in that this is on top of the regular day to day running of the company of which we deal with 68 countries, January is always a more hectic month that most mainly down to the NAMM/CES shows and the deadlines that launching products there imposes. Lastly whatever your view/impresssion of us we are but we are a small family company consisting of 10 people from top to bottom.

We generally always try to keep on top of answering everything that comes our way but when these days that consists of Emails, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Basschat and more most of which are dealt with by only 1 or two people it can sometimes mean our replies/interventions take a few more days than normal at certain times of year. 

Hope that helps to explain the delay, we never knowingly ignore an issue as should be seconded by many of the members here. I’ll hopefully get chance to respond to the more specific b social issues tomorrow. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/12/2017 at 15:43, Merton said:

Well they were designed by Dave Green, and I suspect they do little more than final assembly being the size they are. I would think all the amp manufacture is sub contracted out, it certainly was by Trace Elliot back in the late 90s / early 00s :)

All our valve amps 100w and upwards are 100% built by us on site at HQ in Essex, Always have been and all being well Always will be. Happy for anyone to come and visit and watch one being built(BUILT not ASSEMBLED) from start to finish 

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Merton said:

Happy to be corrected! I was completely ambiguously referring to the ABM series when I said about final assembly, I know your (bloody lovely) valve amps are all hand built in Essex still 👍🏻

No problem, a lot of others such as ABM 1200, Head Of Doom plus Funk Face and OriginAL DI are 100% uk built as well. All built by 2 people as sadly they are the only two we trust these days 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

No problem, a lot of others such as ABM 1200, Head Of Doom plus Funk Face and OriginAL DI are 100% uk built as well. All built by 2 people as sadly they are the only two we trust these days 

You've dropped the JJ head :( ...I hope you realise this is against the law  & does JJ know  ;) .

11 hours ago, Ashdown Engineering said:

All our valve amps 100w and upwards are 100% built by us on site at HQ in Essex, Always have been and all being well Always will be. Happy for anyone to come and visit and watch one being built(BUILT not ASSEMBLED) from start to finish 

@ped fancy a documentary style roadtrip? :D

• Like 1

This thread really has taken the lid off a big can of worms!  As someone who spent many happy years gigging the 'proper' TE stuff, it's not surprising that I have warm feelings towards their true 'spiritual' successor, Ashdown.  My recent acquisition of the (IMHO) excellent ex-Lozz RM 500 EVO together with Ashdown's unsolicited offer via this forum to replace the fan FOC has only reinforced my positive feelings.  Having said that, a few of the posts on here prove that there are others who have had negative experiences.  On balance, I really do believe that Ashdown are an honest bunch of people doing a decent job given all the circumstances - as outlined in their frank explanation of the pressures/challenges typically faced by a small design and manufacturing company trying to offer quality products at affordable prices in a niche market.

1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

This thread really has taken the lid off a big can of worms!  As someone who spent many happy years gigging the 'proper' TE stuff, it's not surprising that I have warm feelings towards their true 'spiritual' successor, Ashdown.  My recent acquisition of the (IMHO) excellent ex-Lozz RM 500 EVO together with Ashdown's unsolicited offer via this forum to replace the fan FOC has only reinforced my positive feelings.  Having said that, a few of the posts on here prove that there are others who have had negative experiences.  On balance, I really do believe that Ashdown are an honest bunch of people doing a decent job given all the circumstances - as outlined in their frank explanation of the pressures/challenges typically faced by a small design and manufacturing company trying to offer quality products at affordable prices in a niche market.

I've updated the title to better reflect the content / sentiment of this thread.

2 hours ago, charic said:

@ped fancy a documentary style roadtrip? :D

I'd happily join you both accompanied with my trusty video cam :) 

15 hours ago, Kevin Dean said:

You've dropped the JJ head :( ...I hope you realise this is against the law  & does JJ know  ;) .

O.o

I hadn't noticed that had happened.

I love my JJB-500, it's one of the ones with out the rat and signature.

• Like 1

I completely disagree with the change in title - the response from Ashdown  tries to explain why their admin has been so poor over the last few weeks resulting in a horrible customer experience, but it does not address the main issue of the dreadful build quality and none existent quality control in relation to the B- Social  as uncovered by Maude resulting in several of us returning the units for a refund.  ( what response can possibly excuse this - hopefully we'll see tomorrow?)

I'd never touch another Ashdown product.

Edited by edstraker123

But the thread was started to to prompt discussion both ways. Not just a slagging off thread...

On 10/30/2017 at 10:26, Al Krow said:

Guys,

But a bunch of you already currently own and love your Ashdown amps and others will have owned and moved them on. I'd be really interested to get your thoughts on why they are a great amp or if you disagree and don't feel they stack up against your current amp head?
Cheers! AK

• Like 2

ALL companies have the off products. Look at the original versions of the Ampeg PF-500s. What a sack of crap they were. Yet very few people would rip into Ampeg with the same vitriol as some are doing with Ashdown.

Edited by bartelby

1 hour ago, bartelby said:

ALL companies have the off products. Look at the original versions of the Ampeg PF-500s. What a sack of crap they were. Yet very few people would rip into Ampeg with the same vitriol as some are doing with Ashdown.

Yup true, even though Ampeg had much further to fall: they were, after all, once king of the pile right? (aka - king of the pile :D)

Although, if you're after strongly held views just say the magic words "Trace Elliot" or even "Darkglass"...