Why become a member? ×

Cleaning the manky crap from basses

arabassist

Ello,

I've been inspecting the fretboard and strings and noticed it's quite dirty. I took a camera shot with flash on and compared it with an older one and realised it's so much dirtier. The fretboard has bits of dust, sweat and other bits of manky animal crap. What's the most effective way to clean the mess? Scrub it with a wet cloth?

Cheers

Edited by arabassist

The best way to clean your fret board is with a lint free cloth and lemon oil You can get it at most guitar shops. As for the strings, you can get Ernie ball string wipes. Expensive but they work!! Also you can boil them for a few minutes, which gives them a bit longer life.

I use a lemon oil product. Used sparingly and only a couple of times a year. I've heard luthiers argue that the oil is actually bad for the fretboard and dries it out, but the wenge fretboard of my Warwick doesn't seem to have suffered.

[quote name='yorick' post='325736' date='Nov 10 2008, 10:12 AM']Plus i wouldn't advise using lighter fuel.... The wood will absorb some and as it's flammable........[/quote]

In my opinion lighter fluid (naptha) evaporates too quickly to be absorbed in any meaningful way. I have no qualms about its use in this context, save for the usual safety considerations whilst actually handling/dispensing the stuff out of the tin.

I use a type of lemon oil that I was put on to when investigating oils for darkening a rosewood fretborad - here's the link [url="http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm"]http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm[/url] Has to come from the US (took about a week) but does the job really well

[quote name='Clarky' post='325783' date='Nov 10 2008, 11:11 AM']I use a type of lemon oil that I was put on to when investigating oils for darkening a rosewood fretborad - here's the link [url="http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm"]http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm[/url] Has to come from the US (took about a week) but does the job really well[/quote]
It's good innit?! I am quite pleased with the results I've had so far - my SG in particular must be so dry that it's absorbed a dozen or so coats so far, but it's getting darker all the time.
I recently used it on my Crafter acoustic and it took so much muck off

1. Leave the gunge alone. James Jamerson did for 20 years, and he played his bass far more than most of us will ever do.
2. Use Pledge or similar. Bernie Goodfellow does, I do and so do a lot of players. I did read that polish sprays containing silicone are not good for some finishes, though.
3. Use proper guitar cleaner; eg Fastfret or Dunlop DR polishes.

All of the above are good.

[quote name='dlloyd' post='325821' date='Nov 10 2008, 11:52 AM']If it's caked with a lot of fingerpoo, I scrape the worst of it off with an old credit card, wipe off the rest with a rag soaked in ethanol, then oil with lemon oil. Comes up a treat.[/quote]

I've got the sweatiest hands ever and wreck strings in no time and my MM maple fretboard gets discustingly dirty. You will probably cringe here, but I use washing up liquid (diluted slightly with water) and a new sponge/scouring pad combination thingy (from under the sink). I do it really quickly so it doesnt get soaked. Probly a couple of minutes to do the whole neck then wipe it quickly with a towel. By the time its re-strung its dry and like new.

Lemon oil wouldnt do it for me!

[quote name='neepheid' post='325611' date='Nov 10 2008, 12:05 AM']I used lighter fluid to clean up the manky fingerboard of the old Hagstrom:

Left: before, right: after[/quote]
My old guitarist's gibson explorer is about twice as bad as that and about half the age!

Also if you really want to get the dirt out of the pores of the wood, give it a good old scrub with some lemon oil and a bit of scotchbrite. took me about half an hour to do and the frets needed polishing after but it looked good. It didn't last long though so i probably wont bother again.

I think i've only ever cleaned my bass once, well it was more of a got-splashed-by-flying-beer-at-a-bike-rally moment really, although I did use my sleve to wipe a bit off after the song. Do you people never wash your hands? my main bass (4 years old) hasn't been cleaned ever (except by beer), and apart for a bit of dust at the pickups there's no crud at all. Played for at least an hour every day, plus gigs.

Meths , Meths and more Meths or denatured alcohol as it is also known.
I also use it with fine wet and dry when finishing as being a solvent it does not soak into wood as water will.
Using water on a rosewood board will harm it as it opens up the pores of the wood.

As it is a solvent care should be taken and if using on a finished surface test first.
Also it burns with a clear flame so you cannot see it even if it is alight.

If it wasn't for the toxins put in it and the coloring it would also make a nice aperitif :)