Why become a member? ×

Nobody notices the bass player....

Bilbo

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1509696793' post='3400877']
I can't stand that song. Possibly jaded from playing the damn thing in covers bands for years :P
[/quote]

Me neither and I like the Undertones but it's one of their weaker songs and one I always skip Anyone recall That Petrol Emotion which was formed by ex-Undertones? A fine and underrated band who were much better than the Undertones IMO.

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1509702071' post='3400930']
Me neither and I like the Undertones but it's one of their weaker songs and one I always skip Anyone recall That Petrol Emotion which was formed by ex-Undertones? A fine and underrated band who were much better than the Undertones IMO.
[/quote]the Undertones first album is one of my favourites, my vinyl copy doesn't have Teenage Kicks on it :) We play it most gigs so I don't really want to hear the Undertones do it, going a bit off thread here

[quote name='Barking Spiders' timestamp='1509702071' post='3400930']
[/quote]

I never really "got" the Undertones either. My first encounter with them was "Teenage Kicks" on TotP, and my initial impression of both the band and their music was that it was some clue-free A&R Man's idea of how a pop-punk band should look and sound.

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1509805406' post='3401774']
To me, there seems to be something inherently wrong about a band who are in their 40's and older, knocking out a version of "Teenage Kicks".
[/quote]
Dunno, it takes on a certain ironic quality...!

[quote name='Skybone' timestamp='1509805406' post='3401774']
To me, there seems to be something inherently wrong about a band who are in their 40's and older, knocking out a version of "Teenage Kicks".
[/quote]

Having been in a few bands 40s and older knocking out versions of Teenage kicks, it seemed wrong too, but only because I would rather have not done!

At least it is not as stupid as a group of 40+ people doing My Generation :D

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1509812179' post='3401830']
Having been in a few bands 40s and older knocking out versions of Teenage kicks, it seemed wrong too, but only because I would rather have not done!

At least it is not as stupid as a group of 40+ people doing My Generation :D
[/quote]

Oh, I dont know. Both songs are relevant to me. I know exactly what teenage kicks are, and what the song is about. My Generation was written for my generation, so I can sing it with conviction. This generation? all they want to do is go to college and get a good job, how lacking in any sort of rebellion is that?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509828588' post='3401999']
Played the first verse of "Thrill Is Gone" in a different key than the rest of the band last weekend.

That'll get you noticed.

Blue

Blue
[/quote]

I'll try that next gig, I reckon a semitone shift would ensure maximum attention!

I did suggest we call it "Old age kicks".

I often get people recognising me and talking to me at half-time or afterwards (and don't get any abuse, for some reason). Wearing a T-shirt with "Bassist" on it helps. Edited by tauzero

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1509909788' post='3402549']
Being the only girl in the band helps. Though not always, tbh. Sometimes the punters just want to do man bonding with lead guitarist :-)
[/quote]

Or in my band the woman bonding the lead guitar and singing lead vocals.

Blue