Why become a member? ×

Nobody notices the bass player....

Bilbo

This story needs a context.

Many moons ago, I was talking to the keyboard player in a Funk band I was playing with. He told me that, when the band leader had asked him to join, he said there was always plenty of women around after the gigs. He then added that he had never seen any.

I snorted and said that, in 30+ years of gigging, I had never even spoken to a woman after a gig and that, come to think about it, I had rarely even been approached by a bloke or even another bass player.

Last night I did a gig with Aussie saxophonist Brandon Allen in front of about 120 people. At the end of the gig, a bloke came up to me and asked ' are you the bass player'? (a strange question bearing in mind that I had just spent two hours on stage in front of him).

'Yes, I am', I replied.

He then asked 'is it true that you collect fountain pens'?

I know the OP was humorous, but Bilbo, you've got to turn up. . . . and leave all those bloody pens at home.

I had a guy come up in the interval and say, "That bass sounds great. I'm not listening to the rest of them, only that bass." I really like compliments.

Rule of thumb: Do the best you can with the best gear you can afford and make them notice you.

nobody will notice the bass player if they stand at the back staring at their fretboard not moving, feet slightly apart one knee slightly bent, wearing the obligatory scruffy trainers blue jeans and black t shirt with some bands name on it, but it's true singers and to a lesser extent, guitarists get the most attention, I'm ok with that, the singer has to deal with all the slightly pissed punters after the gig, he's good at that, he just talks about himself :lol:

Our last gig I had this middle aged woman come over to me after the bar and said I was a 'F'ing rock god' three or four times. She was half soaked and whilst it was nice to be complimented and I do think we played a good set, it was more than a little of an over exaggeration to say the least. She seemed to ignore both guitarists which was quite funny as one of ours is very animated when playing. Mind you a lot of people avoided our drummer as he had blood sprayed over his face like he had been in a big fight, he had cut his hand during the first song of the second set but just carried on spraying blood everywhere for a while. His kit was right mess when we unloaded it the next morning.

Rebel Rebel is the perfect way to be noticed as a bass player. We play it at every gig. Guitarist starts the song with the recognisable riff and a few heads nod. Drums kick in and a few more heads start to nod. i then do the run down on the bass and belt out the D note and the crowd really react.

It's why I position myself front stage with a mic,right along side of our lead singer/ lead guitarist and the other guitarist and play with a pic.

People think I'm a guitar player. They certainly can't tell the difference.

When I joined 6 years ago, I made it clear I was not a stand in the back by the drummer kind of guy. I'm a poser. Lol

Blue

Edited by blue
  • Like 1

"Nobody sleeps when I'm onstage"

My motto since I first started playing. A bass player called Sid Barrett (different one but still from Cambridge) told me to think like this - and he was an upright player doing mostly big band gigs, but he DID stand out on stage, to his credit.

Edited by ivansc