Why become a member? ×

Why did I miss them out?

karlfer

1st band I was in was mainly church when I was just approaching 16. School & church mates just learning. I was dreadful, the rest were erm, learning.
Except Dave. He was just exceptional, even though a year younger than the rest of us.
Couple of years later Dave was in another, different band, that I was also in.
Unexpectedly at a gig, he just went into his solo (keys). He played The Nice's (Emerson) version of America. The whole night club just watched & listened in awe.
This was a quiet, unassuming, humble young man who just floored the place.

40 years on I met up with him again, this June.
Last night I went to see him, playing with The Stawbs. Incredible.
Amongst his many achievements are being in Jack Bruce & Carl Palmer live projects. Oh, & his Celestial Fire & 20 odd years with his own band Iona, plus, well, just so much.

Dave was immensely talented as a kid but his hard work, determination & dedication have made him a world class musician.

The gig? Well, The Strawbs passed me by when I was listening/ going to Camel, Alan Parson's Project, Greenslade etc as well as the more obvious prog bands.

No more. THE STRAWBS WERE BLOODY FANTASTIC LAST NIGHT. Go & see them asap.
A couple of hours of smile inducing, head bobbing, foot tapping melodic prog, from the genius of Hero & Heroine to the blues rock feel of 10 Commandments.

Great guitar work from Dave (Lambert), you could hear every note, beautiful phrasing in particular, no meaningless shred nonsense.
Rhythm section of Chas & Tony were immense from staccato to sustain. Some absolutely divine arpeggios and melodic fills. And groove. Oh yes, groove.
Mr. Cousins? Just immense. A beautiful strong voice, theatrically taking the audience through every number, a master craftsman.
And Dave Bainbridge. Just astonishing. In 10 Commandments, couple of times I was sure Jon Lord was in the building.
A tear came to my eye when Dave (Bainbridge) did a guitar duel with Dave (Lambert). It took me back to Elim Pentecostal Church, Darlington, 1974 with Dave playing a Rapier 33 like it was part of him.

The night was just a wondrous, joyous occasion. I got into The Stawbs 40 years too late. But fortunately not TOO late.
If you like prog, get The Ferryman's Curse as well as Hero & Heroine (no 44 Rolling Stone greatest prog rock album of all times). Go from there.

And thank you Dave Bainbridge, an inspiration. Nice guys CAN win!

Edited by karlfer

I've heard of the Strawbs but have to admit i've never listened to them. In my mind i had always thought they were more a pop style band for some weird reason.
I'm a big Prog fan so will need to have a listen to those albums Karl.
Thanks for the heads up on that one.

Dave

Great to see this post. Dave Bainbridge is an amazing musician whether on keys or guitar or strange multi stringed instrument. First saw him playing with Adrian Snell back in about 1988 and then have been a huge fan of Iona since one of their very first gigs at Greenbelt when I sat on the grass gobsmacked at the sounds they were making. The fact I was sitting right in front of Nick Beggs as he played Chapman Stick didn’t hurt either! Definitely credit where credit’s due. And a top bloke on the occasions I’ve met him face to face.

And yes, Lay Down is a fantastic pop/rock/prog tune!