Why become a member? ×

Stunning girl, instrument, playing and composition!!!

dyerseve

[quote name='Machines' timestamp='1509375192' post='3398414']
This is a logical fallacy.
[/quote]

Perhaps (debatable...), but that doesn't answer the question '[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]One is allowed to compliment an object on its appearance, but not a person..?'[/font][/color]. :mellow:

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509374101' post='3398396']
I did FFS! She IS talented and she IS beautiful! I will not be made to try and feel bad for saying so and nor should I. Paying a woman a compliment on her appearance is in no way derogatory, sexist or mysogynistic. Does your wife, partner, girlfriend etc. look at you like a piece of sh*t when you tell ehr how beautiful she is? No, thought not!

Btw, I would say the same damn thing if it was a handsome bloke playing the piece.

WTF is wrong with people these day???

Really are some over sensitive snowflakes round here trying to get offended for absolutely no reason whatsoever!
[/quote]

Whether you feel bad for saying so is up to you, but I don't think it's appropriate to praise somebody's appearance in the same breath as their skills, irrespective of gender. Women in particular are too often evaluated on the basis of what they look like, not what they can do, so it's best not to conflate the two.

btw, If I tell my wife whe's beautiful she thanks me, but if I were to say that she was a 'beautiful Senior Business Analyst' she'd most likely tell me that she's a Senior Business Analyst whose husband found beautiful :)

Edited by ahpook

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1509320166' post='3398113']
Just to cancel out the appalling patriarchal misogyny of the thread title, may I observe that I [i]don't[/i] find the performer at all physically attractive.

That's the [i]opposite[/i] of sexism, y'see ;)
[/quote]

I think the politically correct term you are searching for is, "in my opinion she's a three pinter"?

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1509380761' post='3398462']

Whether you feel bad for saying so is up to you, but I don't think it's appropriate to praise somebody's appearance in the same breath as their skills, irrespective of gender. Women in particular are too often evaluated on the basis of what they look like, not what they can do, so it's best not to conflate the two.

btw, If I tell my wife whe's beautiful she thanks me, but if I were to say that she was a 'beautiful Senior Business Analyst' she'd most likely tell me that she's a Senior Business Analyst whose husband found beautiful :)
[/quote]

I did not say she was a stunning guitar player. I said she was stunning, as is her playing, her composition and the instrument.

If people are going to choose to get offended or label me as sexist or misogynistic based on the grammatical structure of a thread title that only is only complimentary to a female guitar player then I worry for these people and the state of the world.

What ever happened with giving people the benefit of the doubt...

Maybe it's just much easier jumping to conclusions...

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1509320166' post='3398113']
Just to cancel out the appalling patriarchal misogyny of the thread title, may I observe that I [i]don't[/i] find the performer at all physically attractive.

That's the [i]opposite[/i] of sexism, y'see ;)
[/quote]
[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509361846' post='3398261']
excuse me? WTF is wrong with me saying that I find a girl attractive? How dare you accuse me of being sexist and mysoginistic simply for paying the girl a compliment on her physical appearance as well as her musical talent!

You guys should buy yourselves a dictionary before you go slinging insults at people you have never met!
[/quote]

I knew [i]someone[/i] would fall into my punji trap of irony. Just didn't think it would be the OP.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509382465' post='3398484']
I think the politically correct term you are searching for is, "in my opinion she's a three pinter"?
[/quote]

Not at all. I don't find the performer at all physically attractive yet neither do I find her physically [i]unattractive[/i]. I am position neutral on the visual scrumptiousness or otherwise of the individual

Indeed the young lady's 'stunningness' is entirely subordinate to the far more entertaining narrative of a member failing to appreciate that in the wake of Weinstein and amidst a blazing public debate about institutionalised harassment (including but not limited to bodies such as the UK Parliament, Holyrood and the European Commision) it is the case that any comment which bears however lightly upon feminine pulchritudinousness is likely to excite disapprobation among those whose abhorrence of non-21st Century attitudes is so lively that they will apply their sledgehammer of justice to a peanut of offence.

In other words, they're all as bad as each other afaic. Apart from Douglas, of course. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509383016' post='3398492']
I did not say she was a stunning guitar player. I said she was stunning, as is her playing, her composition and the instrument.

If people are going to choose to get offended or label me as sexist or misogynistic based on the grammatical structure of a thread title that only is only complimentary to a female guitar player then I worry for these people and the state of the world.

What ever happened with giving people the benefit of the doubt...

Maybe it's just much easier jumping to conclusions...
[/quote]

I'm not offended, just trying to offer you some advice.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1509385758' post='3398526']

I'm not offended, just trying to offer you some advice.
[/quote]

I don't need your advice mate cause I know I've done nothing wrong. I would advise you to reserve your judgement and criticism of others unless you are sure their intention is not honourable.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509386030' post='3398531']
I don't need your advice mate cause I know I've done nothing wrong. I would advise you to reserve your judgement and criticism of others unless you are sure their intention is not honourable.
[/quote]

I'll take your advice if you take mine...how does that grab you ?

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1509386264' post='3398533']
This is a thread which begs for a Hamster intervention.
[/quote]

A collection of misunderstandings and people talking at cross purposes?

Must be the internet.

Did you see what happened to the German Autobahn thread?

http://youtu.be/uio1J2PKzLI

Edited by Cato

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509268464' post='3397617']
Absolutely! Did you listen to the whole thing? The start is a bit slow but as mentioned above it really kicks off after the 1:20 mark.

But sure I understand it won't be for everyone.
[/quote]

Are you sure about that?

[attachment=256633:Johnny_Vegas_by_Karl_j_Kaul (1).jpg]

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1509387692' post='3398547']
Did you see what happened to the German Autobahn thread?
[/quote]

I did. A credit to Off Topic.

I even searched for a clip from the Brothers McGregor (ITV) where they explain Einstein's theory of relativity by using the example of a bag of chips thrown from a moving car while overtaking a cyclist. To the occupants of the car the chips appear to be going backwards yet they hit the cyclist in the rear of his head, thus proving the chips are moving forwards.

Edited by skankdelvar

That Guitarist has a ladder in the knee of the left leg of her tights/stockings. :gas:

Edit: Sorry, nearly forgot and got carried away. The Guitarist plays very well and tone wise, reminds me of early Stanley Jordan stuff.
The composition has some decent moments, but a little bit too repetitive for me.

Edited by lowdown