Why become a member? ×

Teacher wanted in Cambridge

curlysam

I'm looking for a bass teacher in the Cambridge area.
Technically I feel i'm relatively solid and (given enough time) can play some fairly complex pieces - I have two things I'd specifically like to work on:
- Building up my own bass lines. I've never really written any bass lines myself that I'm proud of. Recently been playing some jazz and am working my way through the classics. My (hopefully achievable) end goal is to be able to go to some local jazz open mic nights and just jam with the other musicians there. Unfortunately at the moment I don't feel I'm in a position to be able to do this.
- My other issue is that I've shot myself in the foot big time by only ever learning pieces from tab. Never by ear, never from standard notation. Rectifying this in my own time now, currently working through "The improvisor's bass method" by Chuck Sher which only has standard notation.

I think that the first of these two issues is the one I'd like to pay most attention to if I end up getting lessons as the tab issue seems fixable by just knuckling down and practicing.

Would ideally want lessons in the city centre as i don't have access to a car - I can however offer my flat as the classroom if that helps!

Anyway - didn't plan on writing as much as I have but there we have it!

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1509226248' post='3397477']
If you don't have any joy here, you could ask in Miller's in the town.
[/quote]

Ah are you local to Cambridge then? Haven't lived here long and was wondering if there's a "best" music shop in the town, the two big ones seemed to be Miller's and PMT - couldn't work out if either of them were big chains or not though.

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1509225427' post='3397472']
Nick Smith (Doctor of the Bass) is in Peterborough which isn't too far and he will come to you if required.
[/quote]

He'd be willing to come all the way to Cambridge from Peterborough :o .
I've just found his website, I'll give him an email - thanks for the heads up!

(Also just seen his ridiculous bass collection!!)

[quote name='curlysam' timestamp='1509226434' post='3397480']
Ah are you local to Cambridge then? Haven't lived here long and was wondering if there's a "best" music shop in the town, the two big ones seemed to be Miller's and PMT - couldn't work out if either of them were big chains or not though.
[/quote]

I live south of Cambridge, in Bishops Stortford. I know Cambridge pretty well.

PMT is a national chain that sells gear for more contemporary music. I'd forgotten about them.

Miller's is in th town centre and is more geared towards classical music.

For details of teachers you could ask in both.