Why become a member? ×

How to handle a change of musical direction in a band

lownote

How do you handle a situation where a change of band member (and therefore musical tastes ) changes the direction of a band?
We've just changed keyboard players. We used to have a play list I was happy with rooted in early seventies / late sixties stuff rooted in blues and Americana and reasonably interesting to play.
Our new keys man is 10 years older than me and his tastes are taking us back to very early sixties simple pop, and I'm not happy.
OK, I admit I'm John Blunt and my instinct is to say I'm not happy. But the other band members are willing to accommodate his suggestions and I don't want to upset anyone, especially if I'm in the minority.
Should I:
a/ keep quiet and live with it
b/ stamp my pretty little foot, say I don't like his stuff and risk seeming to put myself before the band
c/ talk to the other original band members about it
d/ leave

Or is there a 5th option people more diplomatic and world-wise than me have tried successfully?

Thanks

Edited by lownote12

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1509100995' post='3396596']
I'd try C without doing B at the same time. Then do A. If you don't like that, try B and if no joy, D.

E is A while doing F, which is looking for another band.
[/quote]

Awesome, succinct and perfect advice. Thanks chap!

I'd also agree with Discreet's advice.

I think everyone in the band should have some influence over the songs, but your post makes it sound like the keyboard player is getting quite a bit of influence.

Maybe you should also consider - did things need a freshen up anyway? and is this just a way of getting the new member settled in/feeling at home in the band?

The band was in place before the new singer arrived, so the direction was also in place. Could the guy not play the original set list? If not how did he pass the audition? I presume you all have an input into the material so your vote should carry as much weight as anyone else's. If the rest of the band are adamant they want to change direction to the new material, and you are 100% against it, then you have a choice, suck it up or walk. Simple.

Edited by mikel

I think I would wait and see how well these tunes go down in the venues you play in. If they go down well, then hopefully that will encourage you, if they dont then you could talk to the rest of the band.

I used to play with a drummer who had a real knack in choosing songs that would fill the floor, so i was generally happy to follow his suggestions even if they were not necessarily my choice.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1509104243' post='3396642']
New boy joins an existing outfit = he has to learn the rules. It's not his band.

Sounds like he needs a bit of re-education in general.
[/quote]

I wouldn't join a band with this attitude unless it was a professional band with a set format, a tribute or theatre gig for example, ok I wouldn't join the band even if I passed the audition if I didn't like any of the songs but I'd want to have a vote for or against new material and possibly at least be able to have my opinion listened to on existing stuff regarding a regular wedding, pub, function band. I also wouldn't hire a player of any instrument to be in a band full time that I didn't want to hear suggestions from, I think it's called give and take?

I'd be tempted to roll with it for a while mate, In my experience not everyone is good at picking songs but unless it's a dictatorship (these do seem to work well in my experience) then the new boy should have his opinions listened to otherwise he'll end up feeling like a hired gun not a part of something.

I'm assuming he's joined and you're still doing the majority of the set you like but with some alterations suggested by him ?

If he's wrong it will soon become apparent with your audience and he'll have less sway, if he's right you'll be in a successful band who's material you're not as keen
on. Your options are all still there.

Les

Another thing to consider is your audience. If you've built a reputation on the style of music you play, then people come to see you based on what they've seen on your previous gigs. Bit like going to McD's in a new city. You still know what to expect.

We've taken several years to get our name known and now people come to see us, because they liked us the last time they saw us at a different venue. That may or may not be an important factor for you.

Also, venues think the same way. They know what you do and how many punters you bring with you.

A big change in direction might affect regular bookings. A few new songs are good for any band, but too many and you may lose any following that you have built up over the years.

Our new guitarist (of two gigs) wants to do a few songs that I think maybe too different from our normal style. I'm happy to try out a few, but it has to be a band decision if you change things too much.

As mentioned above, if you're the minority and feel strongly enough, there's only one thing you can do...

If a new guy is good enough he can make new rules. If they are "better" than the old rules go with it. Then again, what do the audiences think of this new direction? Is it working? If it is then my instinct would be to go with it.

IMO it doesn't matter who's calling the shots. . . . as long as they are good shots. This is always going to be the problem facing the "fun" player who wants to play some of their "favourite" tunes with some "mates". You can't leave every band when you run into something that you don't like, cos there's always [i]something[/i] not to like! I never want to play my favourite numbers in bands. That way I'm never upset when they mess them up or fed up when they drop them.

Never mind what it was, is this a good band now, with good players? I'd stick around.

It may be that the rest of the band never considered this new direction, but have gone with it once raised by said new guy and found they quite like it, change being as good as a rest. I do think that the point about if you`ve worked to get an audience it`s something to be concerned about though, audiences can be fickle.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509104696' post='3396649']

I wouldn't join a band with this attitude unless it was a professional band with a set format, a tribute or theatre gig for example, ok I wouldn't join the band even if I passed the audition if I didn't like any of the songs but I'd want to have a vote for or against new material and possibly at least be able to have my opinion listened to on existing stuff regarding a regular wedding, pub, function band. I also wouldn't hire a player of any instrument to be in a band full time that I didn't want to hear suggestions from, I think it's called give and take?
[/quote]

Making suggestions is not the same as changing the entire musical direction of the band.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1509180601' post='3397140']

Never mind what it was, is this a good band now, with good players? I'd stick around.
[/quote]

Yup, I'd go with this.

Is there a limit with the number of bands you can play with? I routinely belong to at least two, sometimes as many as four. That way I never feel 'trapped' in any one band, and some of the more f***ed-up musicians I play with do an excellent job of reminding me when I'm well off with another band ...

:lol:

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1509103705' post='3396627']
The band was in place before the new singer arrived, so the direction was also in place. Could the guy not play the original set list? If not how did he pass the audition? I presume you all have an input into the material so your vote should carry as much weight as anyone else's. If the rest of the band are adamant they want to change direction to the new material, and you are 100% against it, then you have a choice, suck it up or walk. Simple.
[/quote]

Personally i think the new man should be playing your original set i have over many years joined established bands as either Vocalist or Bassist and wouldn't dream of changing set lists....have an imput eventually but not walk in and expect to change things just my opinion

If it is annoying you and you are unhappy about it you certainly should say something about it, without stamping your feet too much, just so everyone knows how they stand.
Ultimately your only real power is staying or leaving, so how much is it a problem?

I joined a band so I am effectively the hired hand, although I have been there for a few years now. I am a lot older then them, and there are musical difference, I don't want to have to spend too much time playing blues or older stuff etc, but I enjoy playing more than I don't and as long as that continues I stay. When it stops I go, there are other groups round.

[quote name='Grangur' timestamp='1509228997' post='3397492']
Is the new music likely to entertain the punters and keep the customer happy?
[/quote]

Thats also another good point - what is important to you in a band? Are you a 'blue' - Doesn't matter as long as you get paid? Or do you only care if you the audience are happy, or do you want it to be something you enjoy doing?

There are things I wouldn't play, just because I don't want to do so and wouldn't enjoy it, and I am lucky enough to not need to. You need to work out if it matters that much to you - we all have our red lines.

if you are young, go for it, it'll be an experience

if you are older, around 56 like me, well, life is too short from here on in to waste even a SECOND playing stuff you don't want to play

a band is a democracy, if the other members want to play this stuff, you have to let them know that you don't . If they don't offer a compromise then it's time to move on

Doesn't a new member in an established band have to learn and play the older material? Once they've mastered that they can start suggestions on things but I wouldn't be too keen for a new person changing the direction. With covers bands you do need a theme and a flow to the set,if the songs fit the overall feel and set them fine, but if it starts to become disjointed maybe point out that it tramples on some of the staples of the existing set that people come to see your band for.

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1509247345' post='3397535']
if you are young, go for it, it'll be an experience
if you are older, around 56 like me, well, life is too short from here on in to waste even a SECOND playing stuff you don't want to play
a band is a democracy, if the other members want to play this stuff, you have to let them know that you don't . If they don't offer a compromise then it's time to move on
[/quote]

Except, I'd say that life is too short to be sitting around trying to find the next band when you just threw your toys out of the pram and quit. Our playing years are limited so make the best use and get gigging. Also Many bands are not democracy's. Almost none of the successful ones are so refusing to compromise (and walking away as a result) is a fault in my book not a strength.

We've all experienced this to some extent, I'm sure. We've just got a new singer on board. After two rehearsals, he said that many of the existing songs were "awful" and he didn't want to sing them. Oh. Righto then. Let's ask everybody else, shall we? In a secret ballot, all 5 band members tagged each existing song as "Keep" or "Ditch". Only 5 out of the 30 songs attracted 4 or 5 "Ditch" ratings. So we scrapped just those.

Edited by solo4652