Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton, Michael Anthony etc. Are they Vic Woottens on the quiet?

Barking Spiders

Vic Wooten doesn't spend his whole life showing his ass, just that most of the you-tubery that you see of him is either lessons, masterclasses or aimed at wannabe bass players with more money than sense.
Mark King openly admitted that his bass style evolved because playing that way was the only way he could easily keep time and sing at the same time.

So maybe there are two sides to this particular coin....

I take the attitude that anyone who has kept his gig in a major act has kept it for a reason - generally that thy can play well listen well and are sensitive to what is required.

If you want an example of a totally insensitive, over the top bassist, let talk Randy Coven.

Or not.... (shudder)

:lol:

I find some comments on these sort of topics bizarre. To measure a bass players worth on their supposed technical ability is very narrow minded. A good bass player plays to suit the genre and style the band wants to achieve. There are so many factors that make up a 'Good' bass player, even including how they look and perform on stage.

Although I'm not a huge fan, to suggest that U2 are talentless is ridiculous.

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1509199535' post='3397280']
Oh, and most people who belittle [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]The Cult, AC/DC, Status Quo and so on's efforts have never tried to cover their work, properly. All playing is simple if you don't have to do it ;-)[/font][/color]
[/quote]
The cult must up there as one of the most under rated bands of all time. Most bands would kill for a back catalogue like theirs.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1509179574' post='3397125']
Alan Lancaster was one of the reasons I took up Bass, nothing over complicated but just seemed to nail the Quo groove along with John Coghlan , they were never the same after they sacked them
[/quote]

Absolutely, I meant that I hadn't heard him playing outside of Quo to make a comparison with.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1509188960' post='3397213']
I find some comments on these sort of topics bizarre. To measure a bass players worth on their supposed technical ability is very narrow minded.
[/quote]

Indeed, and that narrow minded pigeonholing is something that players like Victor Wooten will always have to contend with. For all his musical efforts over the years, his critics tend to lack the faculty to adequately critique his playing so tend to revert to leaning on the cliches such as 'he plays a million notes a second' or 'he's really fast'.

I will quite happily admit that whilst there are some Wooten records I love, there are others I'm not keen on but I always base that decision on the music. Once you're over the 'wow' factor of technique, only the music remains, served by the technique in question.

When it comes to bass playing, guys like Victor Wooten are part of a select few who I would say, if they can dream it, they can do it. Very few bassists will ever attain that level of excellence, but then I suppose that's not required to knock out three chord 8th note bangers whilst you preach to the poor folk about how they should be giving more money to charity.

Michael Anthony was without doubt Van Halen's secret weapon. Impeccable timing, great backing vocals, a sixteenth note pulse that would kill lesser bassists and a thoroughly decent chap to boot. The only proof of his ability you'll ever need is the Live:Right Here, Right Now concert film.

Michael Anthony is a badass.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1509135044' post='3396994']

I'm firmly in the 'record sales don't lie' camp.

Doesn't matter if it's Coldplay or One Direction or any other band I don't personally get, if they're shifting millions of units then they must be doing something musically 'right'.
[/quote]

Not really. It's more likely to be the marketing department of the label they are on are doing 'something right' - i.e. spending cash on media saturation.

Crazy Frog charted globally and the ringtone alone made over half a billion dollars, I'm fairly sure that doesn't make it a great piece of music. It's just marketing.

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1509232025' post='3397505']
Not really. It's more likely to be the marketing department of the label they are on are doing 'something right' - i.e. spending cash on media saturation.

Crazy Frog charted globally and the ringtone alone made over half a billion dollars, I'm fairly sure that doesn't make it a great piece of music. It's just marketing.
[/quote]

Was that before or after he was emasculated? He used to be the frog's b0ll0x 'till he suffered the unkindest cut of all.

[attachment=256461:EntireCrazyFrog.jpg]

Historically, the role of bass was support. Like drums and piano, it was part of the rhythm section. Without rhythm, the whole thing falls apart. I just heard Sting's "Fields of Gold" on the radio. I had never anylised it before. It's voice, some airy-fairy keys and the BASS! The bass is the melodic/rhythmic instrument holding the song together. It's not vituosic, but it's perfect for the song. What more do we need?

If a motorcyclist can get where he's going without an accident, does it matter if he doesn't jump the Grand Canyon like Evil Knieval?

[quote name='Yank' timestamp='1509267125' post='3397601']
Historically, the role of bass was support. Like drums and piano, it was part of the rhythm section. Without rhythm, the whole thing falls apart. I just heard Sting's "Fields of Gold" on the radio. I had never anylised it before. It's voice, some airy-fairy keys and the BASS! The bass is the melodic/rhythmic instrument holding the song together. It's not vituosic, but it's perfect for the song. What more do we need?

If a motorcyclist can get where he's going without an accident, does it matter if he doesn't jump the Grand Canyon like Evil Knieval?
[/quote]

Does it matter if he can?

[quote name='project_c' timestamp='1509232025' post='3397505']

[/quote]
I am with you on this, Stock Aitken and Waterman were the perfect example of this. They knew how to market someone singing a tune with copied/ existing hooks but 'popped' up knowing that kids of a certain age would buy it in their droves. Doesn't make it good music but it does make them good at making money in the music business.

I have wondered what Martin Kemp's bass playing ability is really like. In his autobiography he is quite self deprecating and says that his brother Gary had to show him what to play, yet over the years I've seen Spandau Ballet play a few times and he's never played a note out of place.

Edited by darkandrew

Going slightly off topic, but....

A few years ago, I heard a fascinating radio documentary about the history of Jethro Tull, presented by Ian Anderson. In the early-mid seventies, members of other bands routinely asked the guys in JT if they wanted to "jam". Every time, the Tullsters would refuse. Not because they thought they were above the other musicians, or were too cool, or just couldn't be bothered - the real reason was they literally couldn't "jam". The only material they knew was the Jethro Tull set and nothing else. Does that alter the quality of those classic era Tull albums, or those live shows? No. When Boz Burrell joined King Crimson, Robert Fripp had to teach him how to play the bass. He did OK, I'm sure you'll agree.

I'm a huge Beatles fan and a staunch defender of Ringo. When people trot out the rather dreary "Ringo was crap, wasn't he?" line. I'll ask for a specific example of a "bad" Ringo drum part. I've yet to get a decent response. You could do the same with Adam Clayton, Alan Lancaster or Cliff Williams. They make the band sound better by providing a solid foundation for the guitarists and vocalists.

Is Vic Wootten a better bass player than Adam Clayton? I think so. Adam Clayton would probably agree. Would Vic Wootten be a good fit in U2? I'm not so sure.

Edited by rushbo

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1509298260' post='3397883']
I have wondered what Martin Kemp's bass playing ability is really like. In his autobiography he is quite self deprecating and says that his brother Gary had to show him what to play, yet over the years I've seen Spandau Ballet play a few times and he's never played a note out of place.
[/quote]

He seems solid to me live , I think he came across quite rightly very humble because his opposite number in the day was John Taylor

[quote name='vantagepointrocks' timestamp='1509099550' post='3396577']
Did a quick search and here it is.

[url="http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/joe-satriani-says-michael-anthony-was-underutilized-in-van-halen/"]http://www.blabbermo...d-in-van-halen/[/url]
[/quote]
Only the early VH records he does more than just pedal roots. There are a few tasty lines, fills etc

[quote name='rushbo' timestamp='1509300514' post='3397897']
A few years ago, I heard a fascinating radio documentary about the history of Jethro Tull, presented by Ian Anderson. In the early-mid seventies, members of other bands routinely asked the guys in JT if they wanted to "jam". Every time, the Tullsters would refuse. Not because they thought they were above the other musicians, or were too cool, or just couldn't be bothered - the real reason was they literally couldn't "jam". The only material they knew was the Jethro Tull set and nothing else. Does that alter the quality of those classic era Tull albums, or those live shows? No. When Boz Burrell joined King Crimson, Robert Fripp had to teach him how to play the bass. He did OK, I'm sure you'll agree.

[/quote]

Ha! I'm glad it's not just me then. "Jamming?". Get thee behind me satan :lol:

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1509306494' post='3397967']
Ha! I'm glad it's not just me then. "Jamming?". Get thee behind me satan :lol:
[/quote]

One of my favourite bands of all time - Big Star - never ever jammed. Not because they couldn't, they just associated it with the Blues based, corporate, "big" rock and roll sound that they were trying to get away from.