Why become a member? ×

Adam Clayton, Michael Anthony etc. Are they Vic Woottens on the quiet?

Barking Spiders

I've been wondering about a number of bass players who aren't known for being virtuosos but who maybe can really cut it when given a chance but it's just that the music their bands play doesn't allow them to. I'm talking about folk like Adam Clayton, Michael Anthony and the players in The Cult, AC/DC, Status Quo etc. Just wondering if any of you peeps have seen them in side projects or doing bass clinics and left you thinking' yikes, he really can actually play'.

No, but as they are in famous, money making, stadium filling bands, who could probably have any bass player they want, I presume they are better than most. Drum forums have had the same threads about Ringo and Charlie Watts etc. Top chop drummers have all come out and told the doubters "If you don't get Ringo, Charlie etc, you really have no idea".

Whilst not virtuoso stuff, I think that there are some interesting bass lines from each of the players you mention. The bass lines on the Cult's first album are far busier than on Love or Electric, so I suppose it may come down to 'serving the song'.

I would also say that they execute what they do very well (ever heard of a bad AC/DC or Quo gig?), and it is also harder than you think to get the 'feel' right on Quo numbers.

Would love to see a Michael Anthony or Cliff Williams bass clinic though.

I think it’s down to the twin streams of bass playing. The vic Wooten / Jaco school Of flashiness leaves me cold, I’m afraid. The former quorum serve the song whatever their own private level of virtuosity, it’s just not needed.

If you listen to “Love comes tumbling” there is a degree of talent there not normally seen in u2 so
I wouldn’t say that AC, Mike Anthony etc can’t step up just because they normally don’t record it.

I’m sure I remember Joe Satriani alluding to this about Michael Anthony after playing with him in Chickenfoot, that there had been no demonstration on the Van Halen records of his actual level of playing ability, and that he, Satriani, had been surprised at how good he was.

I thought that watching the live Chickenfoot DVD that it contained some pretty cool bass runs from the man.

Mike Anthony is a rock solid groove machine. He kept Van Halen locked down in a pretty impressive sense. Funnily enough, Eddie Van Halen tried to get Jeff Berlin to join at one point but Jeff refused because the band were in to some things that he wasn't (though he has never elucidated on that statement). That would have been a wild set up.

Adam Clayton on the other hand has always struck me as a talentless sort. His lines could literally be ghost recorded by any pub-band bassist going and you'd never know. The fact that U2 have made themselves multi-millionaires on the back of their tuneless stadium rock is nothing to do with their unskilled musicianship, rather an indication of the general public's appetite for anodyne rubbish.

Earlier U2 basslines seem more complicated than current ones, so unless AC has regressed i`d say he`s wisely spotted that being too intricate would be at the detriment of The Edges guitar work. A case of taking one for the team, maybe?

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1509116524' post='3396791']
I think over the years AC has produced some brilliant basslines. They may not be hard to play, but they're certainly either melodic or make a good groove.
[/quote]

I'll agree with that. I'm not a huge fan of U2 but songs like New Years Day have a nice simple catchy bassline and for me that's what the band are about.
You don't need to put intricate basslines in every song we ever hear.

For me Mike Anthony is one of the great classic rock bassists and one of the other reasons he was selected for the band was his backing vocals. He's just a rock solid bassist that allows the guitarist and the vocalist with VH to wander off and do their thing.
Cliff Wiliams again another solid bassist with good backing vocals.

Is that not what being in a band is all about. He plays what's required whether that's dictated by the other band members or songwriters doesn't really matter. It works for them and the band and they've been hugely sucesful with it.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

[quote name='Burns-bass' timestamp='1509131327' post='3396951']
Victor Wootoon would struggle to sell 100 seats where I live, Adam Clayton and U2 might struggle to keep it under 100,000.

Technical ability and musicality are very different things.
[/quote]

/\ This. Musicality and creativity trump chops every time. :)

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1509108746' post='3396685']
Mike Anthony is a rock solid groove machine. He kept Van Halen locked down in a pretty impressive sense. Funnily enough, Eddie Van Halen tried to get Jeff Berlin to join at one point but Jeff refused because the band were in to some things that he wasn't (though he has never elucidated on that statement). That would have been a wild set up.

Adam Clayton on the other hand has always struck me as a talentless sort. His lines could literally be ghost recorded by any pub-band bassist going and you'd never know. The fact that U2 have made themselves multi-millionaires on the back of their tuneless stadium rock is nothing to do with their unskilled musicianship, rather an indication of the general public's appetite for anodyne rubbish.
[/quote]

....no, can't be bothered....

There was a conversation on here recently comparing the playing styles of Jerry Barnes and Bernard Edwards. Both are / were extremely talented players but the general feeling seemed to be that Bernard's style suited the songs better because he kept it simple, choosing to use slaps, pops, etc sparingly and above all, tastefully. Just because you've got a 200mph supercar doesn't mean that you have to drive at that speed all the time.

Edited by darkandrew

I don't know about Alan Lancaster but as far as Rhino Edwards in Quo is concerned you only have to hear his work with Judy Tzuke to tell he's a more than competent bass player. Some very strong players in Chickenfoot but M Anthony seems to hold his own.

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1509108746' post='3396685']

[/quote]

I'm firmly in the 'record sales don't lie' camp.

Doesn't matter if it's Coldplay or One Direction or any other band I don't personally get, if they're shifting millions of units then they must be doing something musically 'right'.

[quote name='darkandrew' timestamp='1509134471' post='3396988']
There was a conversation on here recently comparing the playing styles of Jerry Barnes and Bernard Edwards. Both are / were extremely talented players but the general feeling seemed to be that Bernard's style suited the songs better because he kept it simple, choosing to use slaps, pops, etc sparingly and above all, tastefully. Just because you've got a 200mph supercar doesn't mean that you have to drive at that speed all the time.
[/quote]

Yet the stage is filled with appreciative fans when Nile invites them to the onstage Chic party at the end of the gig.

I happen to like both bassists. Why do we tend to have a marmite attitude when our heroes have competition?

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1509134929' post='3396991']
I don't know about Alan Lancaster but as far as Rhino Edwards in Quo is concerned you only have to hear his work with Judy Tzuke to tell he's a more than competent bass player. Some very strong players in Chickenfoot but M Anthony seems to hold his own.
[/quote]Alan Lancaster was one of the reasons I took up Bass, nothing over complicated but just seemed to nail the Quo groove along with John Coghlan , they were never the same after they sacked them

For many ‘big name band’ bassists, their love of bass comes first - and quite likely has included discovering funk, jazz, Jaco etc. Then one day their next audition turns into a massive success, and a band playing fairly anodyne music has a great bassist barely out of first gear.
Listened to the SBL podcast with the bassist from The Coors of all things, that was his story. Also Sandy Beales in 1D ..