Why become a member? ×

Amps and cabs for Double bass

beastie

Hi fellow Bass men and ladies
After a bit of help I am looking at replacing my amp and cabs to give me more headroom .
I currently use a EBS TD660 with two 15inch EBS Half cabs running at 2ohms gives me 600watts
I need to keep the overall volume on the amp below 12 o clock on the main volume control so the amp does not start to colour the sound .
I use the rockabilly pro pre amp with my Duke Bass great sound but the cabs and the amp are not powerfull enougth
I notice a lot of the pros are useing Ampeg SVT Heritage with 8x10 cabs Ampeg cabs but they are also going into a massive pa
It seems that 10 inch speakers are the norm with Double bass .
Size is not a proplem so two 4x10 cabs are a single 8x10 is ok but there is not a great deal of Top end amps and cabs with a big wattage out there .i don’t want to go down the slave amp route
The other option is to go into a powered monitor and then into the pa which ours is rated at 4.5k
Has any one got any suggestions I only come up with The TC Blacksmith 1600 Watts the DB 751 900watts the new Vanderkley Amp I think is rated at 1200watts
Speaker wise two Vanderkley 4x10 Bareface 8x10 Donot like the Aquila’s Cabs had them before
The music we are playing is old school jive ,stroll ,Brian Setzer type of vibe in. 6 price Band so there is a lot going on in the mix
Any suggestions and ideas are welcome
Regards
Beastie

Edited by beastie

Wowser, you guys must be loud! I used to have a Duke and play big tents and festivals sometimes and it was a great bass. The rockabilly type pickup system you use gives it loads of thump before feedback but it’s not really the “ your bass only louder” scenario, so I don’t think that the tone colouring of an SVT is too much of a problem. I used an SVT plus 8x10 as a back line once and I was frightened by the power! I used to own a Genz Benz 9.0 but I guess you want even more power so I guess the options you suggest should be awesome. For cabs I’d say get Greenboy (Tricky audio in the U.K.). I had a fearless 15 and it was so good, much louder than the 2x12 it replaced. They also make 2x15s and thet must be a monster. They can make whatever combinations you need probably.
My question is: why not declutter and have the band invest in in-ear monitoring and the kind of system which would suit you all? I’m not at all up to speed on those because I never used one and nowadays I can only put up with low stage volume and small ensembles.
I look forward to learning from the other suggestions you’ll get as it seems an interesting challenge: play at loud volumes and still sound like a DB.

If your band has a 4.5k PA rig then you should let that do all the work.. Stage volumes dont have to be that loud. If you need a rig like you describe onstage then the whole band must be really cranking it out. As an experiment why not get the other guys to turn it down a bit and see how it feels..at lower volumes everything will become clearer on stage so you can let the PA do the work out front.

+1 on the comments above.

If you have a PA that powerful, use it. Get a Fearless or BF BB2 and declutter the stage sonically. If nothing else, your ears will thanks you. ;)

To echo Rabbie, I run a Fearless F112 and it replaced another 3-way 2x12. They kick out some serious sound and are pretty much FRFR depending on your amp. It's hard to believe anyone needs a fridge amp anymore unless you're playing Wembley or want "that sound".

Go for a Fearless F212 by Tricky Audio, if you want headroom, pair it with a power amp, those things eat Watts so a 2k power amp wouldn't be a bad choice.
I hardly use my F212 since I got the smaller F112. This cab paired with my GK RB1001 is enough to hear over a noisy drummer and if the room requires just bleed a little through the FOH PA.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your advice it is much appreciated.
I’am going to get a fearless 2x12 and run it into a Calvin 2000 watt power amp then into My rockabilly pro .
I also have a EBS micro bass preamp which I would like to try but that will mean finding additional pickups any suggestions as it then gives me a back up if needed

Gary