Why become a member? ×

Taking it to the bridge

roceci

I've played Jazzes for probably 90% of my 20+ years playing & until recently have always plucked between the neck pup & the neck itself. Over the last month or so however my right hand has moved itself steadily back & I find myself playing mainly over the bridge pup now. I'm loving the clear tone I'm getting as well as increased control on fast runs & less clack & clang generally.

The only downside I'm experiencing at the moment is I'm finding that notes played on my D, G & high C strings are not coming thru as powerfully as those played on the bottom two. This wasn't a problem in the old plucking position. The tension feels much higher on the top strings now compared to the E & A, & I'm having to dig hard to get the volumes anywhere near equal.

Anyone else made the switch & had this issue? What worked for you? Wondering if it's a matter of strengthening my fingers thru practice, lowering the action on the top strings, trying a lighter string gauge or something else I've not considered.

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1509056183' post='3396411']...or something else I've not considered.
[/quote]

Have you tried lowering the bass side of the bridge p/u a little..? (or raising slightly the treble side, but that can cause other issues if raised too far...).
Count the turns of the screw to be able to get back to current position if need be. Easy enough to try..? :)

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1509056183' post='3396411']
I've played Jazzes for probably 90% of my 20+ years playing & until recently have always plucked between the neck pup & the neck itself. Over the last month or so however my right hand has moved itself steadily back & I find myself playing mainly over the bridge pup now. I'm loving the clear tone I'm getting as well as increased control on fast runs & less clack & clang generally.

The only downside I'm experiencing at the moment is I'm finding that notes played on my D, G & high C strings are not coming thru as powerfully as those played on the bottom two. This wasn't a problem in the old plucking position. The tension feels much higher on the top strings now compared to the E & A, & I'm having to dig hard to get the volumes anywhere near equal.

Anyone else made the switch & had this issue? What worked for you? Wondering if it's a matter of strengthening my fingers thru practice, lowering the action on the top strings, trying a lighter string gauge or something else I've not considered.
[/quote]

I'd leave the saddles unless you have changed strings for a different gauge. If there is room, adjust the pick-ups so they are slightly closer to the strings at the high C. If they are close enough to the strings already increase the distance from the E string instead and compensate on your gain.

Edit: Like Dad sez.

Edited by SpondonBassed

As well as physical changes to the bass you should also look to experiment and change your amp settings a little.

When I was in a touring band and moved from Precision’s to Jazz basses I used to use a SansAmp Bass Driver which is a nice piece of kit. In the end, the EBS amp and can setup I had was able to provide the extra boost.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509106353' post='3396664']
I'd say it's fairly normal, the higher tension nearer the bridge requires a bit more clout
[/quote]

Yeah, I think finger strength is a factor here. We did Proud Mary at a show earlier in the week & I really felt the burn after gunning those eighth notes off the back pup...bit of toughening up wouldn't do any harm.

[quote name='Sammers' timestamp='1509112151' post='3396725']
Why not float your hand towards the old position when hitting those notes?
[/quote]

Hmmm thanks for the suggestion but I'd be losing efficiency moving back & fore, plus I'd be missing out on that sweet tone I'm enjoying atm.

I play mostly over the back pickup and favour it over the front. My action is fairly low too as that makes it a lot easier to dig in. My pickups are angled with the E string side low and the G string high. You have to muck about with this in rehearsals and between sets at gigs to get it where you are happy with though. Once you find the right balance its very much leave it alone from there. At very low volumes and on its own, the G string can sound overly loud but in the band context its just right.
The compromise however is you might have to adjust your touch when playing over the front or between pickups but I think it becomes obvious and natural over time as to what you need to do.
You still have the option of dialing in the front so if anything this is another string to your bow. String gauge is a matter of personal choice. I've bounced to and from 40-100 to 45-105 depending on my mood. If any of that helps..

Edited by bassjim

[quote name='bassjim' timestamp='1509454929' post='3399021']
I play mostly over the back pickup and favour it over the front. My action is fairly low too as that makes it a lot easier to dig in. My pickups are angled with the E string side low and the G string high. You have to muck about with this in rehearsals and between sets at gigs to get it where you are happy with though. Once you find the right balance its very much leave it alone from there. At very low volumes and on its own, the G string can sound overly loud but in the band context its just right.
The compromise however is you might have to adjust your touch when playing over the front or between pickups but I think it becomes obvious and natural over time as to what you need to do.
You still have the option of dialing in the front so if anything this is another string to your bow. String gauge is a matter of personal choice. I've bounced to and from 40-100 to 45-105 depending on my mood. If any of that helps..
[/quote]

Really helpful ta. I since raised my pups at the treble side and it's helped a lot. Your point about adjusting my attack when moving back towards the neck is spot on...there lies the next challenge :P

[quote name='roceci' timestamp='1509056183' post='3396411']

[/quote]

I recently took time out playing Bass i just wasn't enjoying playing i haven't gigged for over 3 years and just got totally bored of meaningless practice....but i have picked up playing again about a fortnight ago and have noticed that i am playing more over the bridge pup....always in the past liked the tone of the neck pup but whether it's a comfort thing my arm seems to rest further back hence the bridge position must admit the clarity is better and i take your point about the tension of the strings but a work in progress i tend to use a foam mute anyway as I like my motown sound lol....good luck with the playing

[quote name='jacko' timestamp='1509114892' post='3396768']
The space between the bridge saddle and the end of the fingerboard is your playground. Use it all.
[/quote]

I am often plucking over the fretboard too. A soft run of the open E string and it's a wonderful far cushion for the guuraist to lay on.