Why become a member? ×

What is this bass player playing??

alembic1989

I saw an ad for an Ibanez Affirma and the seller demo's it in a video. I can't say I've ever heard bass playing like it...sounds like a free jazz improv..I don't like the tone...but cannot 'get' what he's up to/ thinking.
Any thoughts gentlemen???
http://rvrb.io/1992-affirma-5wd

Edited by alembic1989

I know exactly what it is. That's what I sound like when I come home steaming drunk and attempt to pick a bass up. Well, apart from he is a bit faster... Or of course it could be a guitarist playing bass! :)

Edited by itsmedunc

[size=4]I don't listen to a lot of free jazz, I do kind of understand what is going on most of the time. The video in the OP doesn't really sound like free jazz to me... it sounds like he's playing clusters of random notes over a random drum machine pattern.

Free jazz drops some of the norms of mainstream jazz, like regular meter and diatonic harmonic structure, but it retains musicality. Listen to Ornette Coleman or Albert Ayler and you can hear that they are accomplished musicians, even if you don't understand what they're doing... you can hear that they are in control of what they're doing. The video in the OP is a long way from that but I guess he's having fun.

Curiosity led me to click through to his YouTube channel, which revealed his name... googling that came up with this:

"[color=#545454][font=arial, sans-serif]Quit playing guitar about 1978, started again in Sept.,2011...never played bass before."[/font][/color][/size]

Edited by dlloyd

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1509100813' post='3396594']
Interesting that I want to hear it again! It does seem random, and there are some actual 'mistakes', but it does have a theme running through it, and it is so willfully 'out'- there is a certain jarring quality which is maintained (mostly) throughout. Whether by accident or design, that is an interesting listen, in it's own way.
[/quote]

[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][i]So Willfully 'Out'... [/i]at least I have a title for my forthcoming autobiography.[/font][/color]

[quote name='itsmedunc' timestamp='1509066060' post='3396446']
I know exactly what it is. That's what I sound like when I come home steaming drunk and attempt to pick a bass up. Well, apart from he is a bit faster... Or of course it could be a guitarist playing bass! :)
[/quote]

This was my exact thought! :lol:

[quote name='GregBass' timestamp='1509109553' post='3396697']
It seems that bass tutorials want us to go this way too. How many have you seen that teach you how to solo? How many tutorials have you seen that show you how to hold down the bottom end in a pop-rock song? And what do most of us actually do in our bands?
[/quote]
Good shout.

[quote name='dazza14' timestamp='1509106702' post='3396667']
You just know that somewhere there is a guitarist nodding his head and saying "now THATS how you play bass!"...

Actually, knowing guitarists like I do they're probably saying "puh, he's not as good as me..."
[/quote]
Soooo true

Edited by alembic1989