Why become a member? ×

cioks DC5

lee650

Hi everyone
ive just recieved a new Cioks DC5 today as I'm still getting noise from my (brand new) 1 spot, I wanted to power my Cali76 CB using the 18 volt outlet, however Ive just read that its 103 ma at 18v and the outlet only has 100ma, does anyone have any idea if this will be ok? I was hoping to power my Wonderlove at 18v from it too, but ill have to leave it at 9v.

cheers :)

Ahh thanks Dan
i was hoping it would be ok! I'm waiting on a few new patch cables to arrive , hopefully tomorrow and I'll rewire my board with the Cioks, I've a Boss Ls2 to integrate as well. My board is well and truly full, but I'm determined not to get another bigger board :)

Lee.
Is have a DC5

I got the correct cable to summate the mA (not voltage) to run my Two Notes at 500mA.
I also run my Cali76G at 18v flicking the switch on one output, and with or without a bit of daisy chain I run an MXR bass chorus deluxe, TC polytune and Hartke VXL Preamp with no sweat, all at correct voltage and mAs ratings

It’s a great power brick, I know Dannybuoy said you can run things at a lower current draw, which is fine but you should be able to run things at their prescribed level easily.
You should be able to use a stack voltage cable also and summate the mAs to daisy chain

Edited by Cuzzie

Both sides will have tolerances and error margins in their mA quotes. E.g. the 300mA sockets can probably dish out an extra 20% than the label says, and the pedal might need 20% less than what the manual says. Add to that that the pedal will only be drawing max current with the gain/EQ/volume maxed out, so at typical usage levels will be using a lot less than their maximum.

Thanks for the replies Gents!!
Going to wire my board back up today, with the Cioks and the boss Ls2 ive just procured :)

I'm still having to daisy chain a couple of outputs, so in now wondering if I should have paid the extra £40 for the DC 8 ;)

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1509271568' post='3397658']
Thanks for the replies Gents!!
Going to wire my board back up today, with the Cioks and the boss Ls2 ive just procured :)

I'm still having to daisy chain a couple of outputs, so in now wondering if I should have paid the extra £40 for the DC 8 ;)
[/quote]

Haha - well I could trade your DC 5 (for use on my proposed mini board) for my mint DC 8 plus some cash and then get me a DC 10 (for my main board) at the same time :) If that doesn't sound daft, PM me before I get a Ciocks DC5 for myself.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1509274445' post='3397681']

Haha - well I could trade your DC 5 (for use on my proposed mini board) for my mint DC 8 plus some cash and then get me a DC 10 (for my main board) at the same time :) If that doesn't sound daft, PM me before I get a Ciocks DC5 for myself.
[/quote]

HI Al
I thought you'd sold that DC8 otherwise I would have contacted you,rather than pay full whack for a brand new cioks DC5 :) I'll pass on the trade thanks,ive just got it and it'll work fine, even though it would have been nice to be able to power the Wonderlove at 18v too. I do have a diago voltage doubler I could use,but i suspect it may be partially responsible for my noise issue.

I have got another niggle (apart from needing more longer pancake patch leads) I really don't want to go down the drilling route (I also don't have a drill) so ive used extra strong velcro to attach the DC5 underneath my Metro 20. As a result the whole thing wobbles as the supply is a tiny bit longer than the feet aarrggh!!! I know the obvious answer is to drill,but has anyone found a work around and if the DC5 is always testing on the floor will it be ok (micro switches etc)?

:)

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' timestamp='1509352616' post='3398177']
I have got another niggle (apart from needing more longer pancake patch leads) I really don't want to go down the drilling route (I also don't have a drill) so ive used extra strong velcro to attach the DC5 underneath my Metro 20. As a result the whole thing wobbles as the supply is a tiny bit longer than the feet aarrggh!!! I know the obvious answer is to drill,but has anyone found a work around and if the DC5 is always testing on the floor will it be ok (micro switches etc)? :)
[/quote]

Morning Lee! I'm kinda with you on not wanting to drill into the board - it does mean you are stuck with your power supply in one fixed place and also potentially significantly reducing the resale value of our Pedaltrains. On the other hand if it makes the boards more usable for live use well that's I guess what they are there for, so swings and roundabouts!

My DC8 is fine / happy on my board - it does mean I need to use an additional dedicated PSU for one of my power hungry pedals but that is no biggie - a DC10 would get rid of the need for that but take up more space (and would need to go underneath).

If you don't want to drill then I think a combination of velcro and cable ties is the answer. Hopefully Cuzzie or dannybuoy will be along in a minute with a definitive solution and reassurance about the DC5 resting on the floor (I think Cuzzie has a Metro 16 or 20 himself with a DC5 underneath).

Edited by Al Krow

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1509358797' post='3398226']
Double sided tape should do the trick. I'd investigate to see if there's any industrial strength stuff out there though rather than the bog standard.
[/quote]

what are you currently doing with yours Dan? Is it drilled?

Been watching the youtube vid on mounting these and i really don't want to go that route as my Metro 20 doesn't have any room left at all (although I'm moving on my mid sized red ripper fuzz fir a 3 leaf doom which is smaller) and i wouldn't be able to put pedals on top of the screws (if they stick out a bit). The guy on youtube must have been using normal velcro as he states it's exactly level with the feet,while mine is a teeny bit longer (the strong velcro Ive used is thicker). I'm going to look at the double sided tape as that may work! Has anyone replaced the feet on a metro? And if so where do you source deeper ones?

Mine's drilled and I haven't had a problem putting pedals on top of the screws.

Sourcing new feet is easy enough (old school rubber door stops from a hardware store would work) but the hard part is that they are riveted on. Not sure but you might have to drill out / destroy the existing fixing then mount the new ones with a screw or glue!

Maybe double sided Gorilla Glue tape?

[url="https://www.amazon.co.uk/GORILLA-GLUE-3044101-Double-Mounting/dp/B01CIQILCC"]https://www.amazon.c...g/dp/B01CIQILCC[/url]

That stuff looks a little thick though, but search for double sided tape and there's plenty of options.

Edited by dannybuoy

Yeah ripping out the feet sounds more hassle than drilling! The supply is on the floor and the front feet are slightly off! I think the double sided tape sounds like a plan! I'm off to homebase :)

Edited by lee650

Well I've just bought some Gorilla double sided tape ! I've looked online and the consensus is to drill holes,but i don't have immediate access to a drill and i need my board tomorrow night. The hard part will be removing the extra strong velcro I put on :) could do with the Hulk for a hand.
my brother in law has a drill so I may end up drilling it next week when I will be rearranging the board again :)

I'll post how the tape works for future reference!

Gorilla tape to get you by for a gig, but drilling is no issue at a later date, it’s super easy.

The holes are drilled, the power source secured, you then run the velco strip along the rail over the screws and no one knows or sees it and it does not affect the pedals in any way

2 small holes does not affect the integrity of the board or its strength, and if you were selling it second hand I can’t see how someone would suggest knocking a massive amount off compared to one in equally as good condition less the holes, esp if covered by velcro.

I have done it also with bigger pedaltrains for a bracket.

IMHO it’s a non issue, I can see how pristine gear shows someone looked after their stuff, but it’s almost like saying the feet on the board should be perfect, it will just get a bit of use/abuse

Oh and drill through the tape!

Edited by Cuzzie

Thanks everyone!
It's not about resale value or anything, it's just I don trust myself with a drill :) and need to borrow one.
Daft question I know!! what size drillbit do you use (I really don't do DIY)

Edited by lee650

Pics please - I potentially need to do the same on my DC8 / incoming DC5 for my mini board!

Btw was all the gear you needed (well obviously apart from the drill!) 'in the box' with the Ciocks or did you need to get any additional bits and pieces?

PS can you check / confirm that putting your power supply underneath (especially your dirt pedals) doesn't result in noticeable extra pedal hum?

Edited by Al Krow

For some reason it sent my Diamond Compressor up the wall in terms of noise just by placing it anywhere on the pedaltrain. Take it off and place in the floor, no noise. Very weird indeed. I noticed a tiny amount of hum from a TC Corona but only when placed directly on top, but you had to t listen for it with headphones to pick it out.

My signal chain is virtually silent right now. From bass, through the board, M900 amp to PJB Bighead, not an ounce of hiss or hum since I ditched the EBS flat patch cables!

Hey Lee - hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread a bit (now you're completely sorted!) but before I hit the shops for a CIOCKS DC5 for my mini board which has just arrived courtesy Gear4Music (who btw seem to charging literally about HALF the P&P of Andertons!);

What [b]alternatives to the CIOCKS DC5 [/b]should I be thinking about?

[u]The DC5 has:[/u]
5 isolated outputs with 9/12/18 volt options (and higher with stacking)
900mA+ total draw
Compact 13 cm x 9cm x 3cm
£135 new (and impossible to get second hand 'cos no one who's ever bought a CIOCKS seems to want to sell them, which I think says something about just how good they are?)

Anything comparable or better that folk are using?