Why become a member? ×

Current MIM P bass neck

Phil_T

I'm fairly new to bass so I'm still learning about all the different basses and their individual quirks, never mind actually learning to play. One of the things that I'm still somewhat in the dark about is neck sizes - p and j and all that - and having just bought a 2017 MIM precision I'd be interested to know where it sits in the overall range in terms of width and thickness. It feels pretty good to me and not what I'd describe as 'clubby' so I suspect it's probably reasonably slim by vintage p bass standards. Is that right?

Edited by Phil_T

OK. That was the short answer! :lol:

The modern Mex neck is narrower at the nut (width), narrower in depth and has a different profile (shape of the back of the neck) than the old ones. But they have changed quite a bit over the 65 odd year history of the P bass. Still wider than a Jazz neck though so some folk would find it too wide if that is their preference. I wish more reasonably priced Ps had bigger necks. I played a CS '59 with the 1.75" nut, big fat soft V profile and it was lovely.

Edited by fftc

Regarding neck width, measured across the nut -

A Fender Jazz Bass typically has a 38mm nut. Also called 'A' width by Fender.
Your 2017 MIM Precision will have a 42mm nut. Also called 'B' width by Fender.
Vintage Fender Precisions have a 45mm nut. Also called 'C' width by Fender.

I'm not sure when the majority of USA Fender P's became 'B' width, it could well be after the CBS takeover of Fender in 1965. Someone with more in depth knowledge of Fender history than me could be more precise (sic).

Fender currently make various models of P Basses with varying neck/nut widths.

Hope this helps!

Thanks both. I'm not sure I'm that bothered by nut width that much but I definately prefer a shallower profile. When I started a few months ago I first bought a Yamaha TRBX174 that, in retrospect, had a very chubby neck but that had to be returned due to some sort of grounding fault. I replaced that with a TRBX504 that had very shallow neck, really nice to play. The P bass I feel is somewhere between the two but feels good.

Which one? I've had three since I started in July :D

The 174 had a great sound, but like I mentioned above, the neck was pretty chunky although I didn't really know any different at the time.
The 504 is a great bass and plays really nicely but it doesn't quite have same sound as the 174 which I subsequently realised is a P bass type tone. So....
I bought a MIM P bass and that sounds fantastic alhough pretty badly shielded (probably not all in fact, haven't checked yet) so I'm waiting on a shielding kit to to take care of the problem.

I`ve not got a current MIM, but the 2012s - 2015s, of which I`ve had a few (and currently have a 2015), have had a chunkier neck than prior to that. It`s why I prefer that range, they`re more inkeeping with the US Standards, whereas before the necks were much different.

I own a 2011 MIM P and a 2008. The older is slightly chunkier but it actually feels better to me; nut width is the very same. I find it very "in the middle", as I find jazz measures too thin, and Classic 50s (44mm) too much.
I think what makes MIM necks great comfort is the C shape. My Gibson's neck is 42mm but D shaped and it feels much bigger than what it is actually.