Why become a member? ×

Necks - Advice on Allparts/MM/NW Guitars

AndyTravis

So, I sold a p/j bitsa I made to find a bass I thought I needed when I didn't.

I did it on a budget. The entire thing owed me £300 ish.

I scored a used limelight neck, which was ace.

I've decided that I want to do the same again but broaden the budget a little without going over £500-£600.

I have a pair of P/J bodies in Candy Apple Red to choose from (I may have some parts for sale as a point...)

I'll be doing a subtle aging job on the body. The basses are ex school instruments and as such are dinged and pranged as it is so I'm not doing the belt sander job on them. Just taking the shine off and sharp edges of prangs.

I want a neck.

Ideally a jazz width, but not opposed to P.

Maple board.

My options are

Allparts (expensive but great reputation)
Mighty Mite (hard to find in UK?!)
Northwest Guitars (well priced and local to me)
Stratosphere (Roadworn 50's neck, actually pretty expensive)

Limelight quoted £360 which means I wouldn't be able to buy other bits, a shame as their necks are lovely.

The plan is a replica of the Fender Duck Dunn, but as a P/J and with EMG pickups.

Had anyone got experience of the Northwest Guitars necks?

Has anyone got experience on finishing necks, I was thinking I'd finish the headstock and leave the fingerboard and neck unfinished so they dirty up quickly.

The bass will be used as a gigging/rehearsing bass for venues where I don't feel my CS jazz should go.

Any stories/advice welcomed.

Hi Andy,
There's a fella on ebay called bluebass320, (real name Dave) He usually has Mighty Mite necks (P's & J's) just send him a message,
I've bought a few off of him over the years, I'm sure if you ask him he'll finish them as you wish.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1509024570' post='3396118']
Hi Andy,
There's a fella on ebay called bluebass320, (real name Dave) He usually has Mighty Mite necks (P's & J's) just send him a message,
I've bought a few off of him over the years, I'm sure if you ask him he'll finish them as you wish.
[/quote]

Cool thanks I'll investigate

Andy

I’ve used a Northwest Guitars p bass neck in a parts build, but I also used one of their bodies. The reason I mention that is that the heel width is 63mm, which i think is pretty narrow compared to most, and certainly narrower than both my MIM P and J basses.

It’s a slightly more chunky neck than my 2015 MIM P, but overall a very similar C profile.

In terms of quality it seems fine. Truss rod works okay, frets could do with a polish but are pretty level, and I set up with the action as low as both my other basses - to the Fender standard spec of just under 2.5mm and 2mm at the 17th fret on the E and G respectively.

[quote name='pst62' timestamp='1509024570' post='3396118']
Hi Andy,
[/quote]

How weird is this...

I found him on eBay, but couldn’t message him as he didn’t have items for sale.

An hour later, he bought some pickups from me on eBay.

Very odd.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1509122381' post='3396858']
I found him on eBay, but couldn't message him as he didn't have items for sale.
[/quote]

It was obviously meant to be... *makes silly theremin noises* Wooo-eee-oooo!!

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1509122381' post='3396858']
How weird is this...

I found him on eBay, but couldn't message him as he didn't have items for sale.

Very odd. [/quote]

So did you get in contact now then? If so is he still doing the Mighty Mite necks?

I dunno, I think of AllParts as second only to Fender. If you can find what you want in stock, of course. Not always easy...

I'm thinking of ordering a Musikraft neck, you really can specify multiple parameters... all too often aftermarket necks aren't to the spec I want.

[quote name='AndyTravis' timestamp='1510333659' post='3405717']
Bought a vintage tint gloss model from NW guitars. Seems really well done, on a par with MIJ reissue stuff and reasonable price. Think the gloss was only £10 more and it's nicely finished. Hardware purchased today to fit it on. But it looks the part.
[/quote]

They do seem to be nice accurate necks by all accounts and £10 extra for a tint is a no-brainer when you consider how long it takes to convincingly tint a neck - and more to the point, how long you have to wait for bloody nitro lacquer to cure!

• 2 weeks later...