Why become a member? ×

Trace Elliot - talk to me

Funky Dunky

I've kept my SMX 15" combo from new. Still love it with its matching 15" extension. I played some big old places + outdoors and never - ever ran out of headroom. Lots of cone moving lots of air, big toroidal transformers and big power caps - no transient issues there.

Its heavy and I don't gig it now but it never let me down once in the years I have had it. Good enough for Bernard Edwards - good enough for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I own an RAH600SMX and the somewhat newer AH300-12. Both have the pre-shape, 12band, hybrid valve/ss pre and dualband compression but that last series, built under Gibson flag does not sound as good by any means. The compressor cuts treble, the valve does not warm up the tone at all. The SMX is clearly the winner here. Too bad mine blew itself up and sits around my attic for historic value only, I won't repair it.

But yes I agree with the others. SMX or SMC is the most logical way to go (I believe the SMC has dualband compression going on but only one comression level control knob). Hybrid pre, awesome compression, very powerful tone.

If you want even more of the good stuff, have a look at Quattra or Hexa valve heads. My Hexa makes all my basses sound better then any of my other (Mesa, Darkglass, Tech21) amps, I am humbled by its powerful and warm-yet-articulate tone. Wow just wow...

Edited by DiMarco

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1509002725' post='3395859']
I played a gig,through one of these a while ago. It sounded epc with my Precision and they are cheap as chips secondhand. I didn't attempt to pick it up but I suspect it's very heavy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqBXH8pWct4[/media]
[/quote]

One of these, coupled with a 2x10 ext cab (not trace) has been my gigging rig for years. I expect a 2x10 Trace combo with a 1x15 ext cab would sound much the same though. I injured my back at work years ago but still manage to haul the combo in and out of the car to gigs. Consider it character building :D Actually the 2x10 SWR ext cab isn't a lot lighter than the Trace combo.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1510350960' post='3405924']

One of these, coupled with a 2x10 ext cab (not trace) has been my gigging rig for years. I expect a 2x10 Trace combo with a 1x15 ext cab would sound much the same though. I injured my back at work years ago but still manage to haul the combo in and out of the car to gigs. Consider it character building :D Actually the 2x10 SWR ext cab isn't a lot lighter than the Trace combo.
[/quote]
Mine is very similar, but a GP11 250w combo and the cab. I have never had it over 4 on the output, heaven knows how big a room we would need to play to get it it up towards 10. I get loads of compliments on the sound, it cost me less than £200 total.