Why become a member? ×

A guitarist is auditioned and can't take a "no thanks"

mcnach

[quote name='leschirons' timestamp='1509041949' post='3396290']
I've met a few people who don't really understand what "audition" means.

Audition means, audition, not job offer
[/quote]

Indeed, just like some bands don't understand it's also a two way process so that even though they might want you at the end of the audition it doesn't necessarily mean you will join.

Once upon a time when I was living in Amsterdam, a drummer friend of mine invited to go and play with him and a guitarist he had met with a view to starting up a new band - the guy could play well enough, but he had this unnerving habit of psychotically staring at me directly in the eyes when he was playing solos.

I dismissed it at first, but after a while it was really starting to freak me out. Afterwards, my drummer pal mentioned that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to play with that guy again as he 'looked like he wanted to kill you!'. :o

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1509094860' post='3396529']
I once turned up to an audition the evening after spending the whole wrestling the gearbox and transfer-box out of a BMW 4x4. I'd done so much damage to myself that I couldn't play a note. People do sometimes have off days.

No, I didn't get the gig. I didn't like the drummer any way :rolleyes:
[/quote]

I believe we very very briefly crossed paths at an audition, perhaps even the one you refer to...because yes, that drummer was a knob and although I was 'lucky' to be given the part advertised, the band less than spectacularly imploded in less than six months having never played a note outside of the rehearsal room, which was largely due to drummers aforementioned knobness!!

Met a guitarist years ago while forming a band with some friends. The guy was really talented and worked as a session-musician by day and even had similar taste to us. We were just a bunch of student dorks who wanted to have a bit of fun covering some of our favourite songs. We made it clear we just wanted to play together, not perform for anyone - guitarist was cool with this.

Once we got into a rehearsal room, guitarist starts going on about potential gigs, acting like a big-shot and doing the whole rock star act. He would play over us while we tried to talk and work things out. All of this on our very first meeting with him. We headed to the nearest pub afterward - a rubbish Wetherspoons - where he starts offering cocaine around and proceeded to get incredibly drunk. So drunk that he didn't understand when we told him he wouldn't be a good fit. He continued to hound us for weeks for another shot, but we never saw him again thankfully.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509093012' post='3396505']
I am no stranger to intoxicating substances myself. I am aware that altered states of mind are a major influence on art in general and especially in music.

In this context however we are talking about doing a job. Employers generally make intoxication during work time a sacking offence. I see little difference here. May I also point out that there is a vast wealth of creative music out there that was created by sober people.

Many of the survivors of the so-called rock and roll lifestyle who have cleaned up their lives say that they wished they'd known earlier that they could still play without help from substances, legal or otherwise.

Peer pressure on musicians to get intoxicated at gigs is not such a problem today either.
[/quote]

I don't disagree, in saying they're was a link I wasn't suggesting the link is healthy

[quote name='matski' timestamp='1509097100' post='3396551']
Once upon a time when I was living in Amsterdam, a drummer friend of mine invited to go and play with him and a guitarist he had met with a view to starting up a new band - the guy could play well enough, but he had this unnerving habit of psychotically staring at me directly in the eyes when he was playing solos.

I dismissed it at first, but after a while it was really starting to freak me out. Afterwards, my drummer pal mentioned that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea to play with that guy again as he 'looked like he wanted to kill you!'. :o
[/quote]

I played in a band with a singer who did that, he would just stare straight into my eyes as if I had really offended him. First time he did it I said "what?" and he just carried on. I didn't stay in that band long either :)

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1509097860' post='3396559']
I believe we very very briefly crossed paths at an audition, perhaps even the one you refer to...because yes, that drummer was a knob and although I was 'lucky' to be given the part advertised, the band less than spectacularly imploded in less than six months having never played a note outside of the rehearsal room, which was largely due to drummers aforementioned knobness!!
[/quote]

It wasn't, it was the next audition that I didn't get. The drummer, would you believe, was even knobier! They were very nice about you as well :)

I like to think I can spot the bands that are never going to make it out of the rehearsal room now. Although I seem to recall those guys talking a very good game.

Edited by thepurpleblob

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1509063062' post='3396435']
oh wait... you mean first name or surname? The surname might just fit! :o Can't be... 5 letter first name, 6 letter surname?
[/quote]

Ah, not quite - the geographical feature was his first name. Was five letters though.

Come to think of it, I'm not sure I ever knew his surname...usually it was enough to mention him by his first name, and other jammers would roll their eyes!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1509004146' post='3395872']
You know the rule - if you haven't met one - it's you!

:D :D :D
[/quote]

Definitely me, I keep noodling in the breaks during rehearsal. Most of the time I remember to turn the volume down or turn my tuner on.

It has happened that I looked up from whatever I was playing at the time to realise everyone was waiting for me to finish mucking about and practice the next song.
On the other hand, random noodling has created two new songs...

Some people dont like to be told they dont fit.
We had the same prob with a drummer for a soul band, he was just a feeless bedroom rock drummer with no dynamics at all, he just jammed over everyone elses hard work could not even do the right beat for higher and higher and i just wanted to get on the kit and show him but did not want too show him up, when like you a nice email was sent because he did not answer his phone on the few times our singer tried.
woooowwww did he kick off, we wasted HIS time even tho it was one practice and he was going to tell everyone what a tool our singer was and we were not all that anyway !, this was not just one email but a week of them, the emails were just horrid, so we just ignored them in the end.

I dont like to use the word audition when someone comes, i think it make people feel on the spot, i would hate it also, but thinking about it, its what it is and maybe should let people clearly know this.
ow well, on and up..

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509082611' post='3396453']
If you come with your own nutmeg grater, sure.

Heeheehee

[size=3](Don't tell them on the [i]Join My Band[/i] topic but I've just re-subscribed to that service and will be recruiting soon)[/size]
[/quote]

ugh... nutmeg...
Hmmm...
would you take black pepper?
I don't do blues or nutmeg... unless the pay is very good, then I do (almost) anything

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1509119660' post='3396827']
ugh... nutmeg...
Hmmm...
would you take black pepper?
I don't do blues or nutmeg... unless the pay is very good, then I do (almost) anything
[/quote]

Okay. But if you start garnishing it with stuff like toasted quinoa or owt like that you're out on your ear.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA

Edited by SpondonBassed

Regardless of how good your chops are, you need to be a fit for the band on a number of levels, many of which are more important than your playing... for some bands!

You meet these ego-driven sorts everywhere you go though. I remember sitting in a guitar shop years ago when someone came in with a fretless bass and plugged in nearby, and sat chatting to the shop owner. I won't say what the bass was as there won't be many in the country. This bloke started playing some absolutely dire fretless bass parts, really all over the place, as he's telling the shop owner he's considering giving up teaching. This went on for a while, before he said "but if I came across someone who I thought was the next Jaco, I would, you know, teach him what I know...".

I had to stifle a laugh at the time.

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1509048270' post='3396342']
I was once stalked on the phone by a middle aged woman from Kilmarnock who wanted to audition as a singer for a band I was trying to get together.

Talking to her on the phone, I could tell she was a nutter and send her a text saying we were really looking for a male vocalist, I should have put this in the ad etc.

She tried to call me 3 times and sent about 5 texts in one day telling me she was the person for our band. In the end I had to block her. Thank god I used my spare mobile for the advert.
[/quote]

We've got a guy like this that plays sax, badly, he's actually ruined one local jam night we ran because he won't stop joining in with people to the point of fisty cuffs, we literally can't stop him so the jam ended, he still messages asking to join our band, if you invite him to a gig he takes that as an invite to play not watch, he's genuinely crazy as in an out patient so what can you do?

[quote name='Chris2112' timestamp='1509122594' post='3396861']
Regardless of how good your chops are, you need to be a fit for the band on a number of levels, many of which are more important than your playing... for some bands!

You meet these ego-driven sorts everywhere you go though. I remember sitting in a guitar shop years ago when someone came in with a fretless bass and plugged in nearby, and sat chatting to the shop owner. I won't say what the bass was as there won't be many in the country. This bloke started playing some absolutely dire fretless bass parts, really all over the place, as he's telling the shop owner he's considering giving up teaching. This went on for a while, before he said "but if I came across someone who I thought was the next Jaco, I would, you know, teach him what I know...".

I had to stifle a laugh at the time.
[/quote]

For some people the reality is that is their gig, the music shop on a Saturday when it's busy with kids that think they are great or slapping a Status at a bass show for hours, I saw the same players doing it every year at the Manchester bass day, helping Bernie on his GB stand was a pleasure, the stand being near the Mark Bass one less so! Lol

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509122078' post='3396854']
Okay. But if you start garnishing it with stuff like toasted quinoa or owt like that you're out on your ear.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBYjZTdrJlA[/media]
[/quote]

You've got a deal then.
What's the set list?

[quote name='blue' timestamp='1509149123' post='3397063']
Some of the most talented Musicians are not the kind of people you would want to be in a band with.

You will hear many pros say;

"We never look for the best musicians, we look for the best people"

Blue
[/quote]

True. Best drummer I ever jammed with was a very arrogant (and confident) guy! He was a jazz drummer and was really very very good, fitting exactly with what we were playing, but adding to the sound mix beautifully. He and our guitarist/songwriter/leader clashed so it was never going to work and he left. Before doing so we had a last jam with me, him and our lead guitarist (the band leader was absent) - we did a session just jamming as a blues trio and it was great - he made us sound great and he suggested we form a blues trio without the other guy. We turned him down but I often wonder what would have happened had we not done so...

[quote name='thepurpleblob' timestamp='1509185863' post='3397183']
It's the same as interviewing people for the day job. My mantra is "never employ assholes". A decent, motivated person will learn the job. An asshole is an asshole - regardless of competencies and all that rubbish.
[/quote]

True, true.

My last boss was not, how shall I put it, a people person. His grasp of social nuance or personality traits was none existent, and considering he was supposed to be a sales manager it beggared belief. He got it right when he interviewed me and offered me the job, obviously :D , but he made some absolute howlers. One guy he took on was so far up his own a**e he may as well have had "Arrogant pr**c" stamped on his forehead. Everyone of the rest of the team agreed "He wont be here a year before he is off to pastures new". Sure enough 9 months later he was off, still bragging about the big contracts he was going to bring in and the important people he knew. We called him "Gunner". As in, I'm going to do this and i'm going to do that, but never did.

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1509126285' post='3396890']
[attachment=256364:SetListOct17.png]

...in no particular order.
[/quote]

You've got "I wish", "Sir Duke", "Roxanne" and "Dancing in the moonlight" (Thin Lizzy's I hope?)... I'm happy.

[quote name='Number6' timestamp='1509308470' post='3397990']
I always start my own bands and thus far have avoided the sack :)
[/quote]

Well.... the previous band I was in was started by me and the drummer. Time passes... We recruited a new singer and inside 6 months he had 'resigned' along with the two guitarists and pinched all our gigs. So you can start a band and still be sacked I'm afraid.

You do get some bedroom boys who think that because they can string together a half decent tune, when playing along with their record collection, and that because they get no complaints from their mum, that they must be pretty hot.

This is not the case. I have auditioned other musicians in the distant past who honestly could not hold a tune in a paper bag and couldn't believe it when told that they didn't get the guitar job.

After getting a few people who damned me to hell for not realising that they are the next big thing and I should be happy to tag along with them, I have learned from my mistake and instead told them they were nearly perfect, but someone came along who has played 99% of the set before and just slotted in.

This saved a degree of angst.