Jump to content
scrumpymike

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2018!! 08/04/2018

Recommended Posts

Yes, I'm planning to be there again - please send me the necessary, and I'll get it sorted, despite the haze of manflu...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chienmortbb said:

Paddy I was a novice last year and was warmly welcomed. Don't tell Scrumpymike e but it's worth more that £10.

:D I'll pretend I didn't see that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Certain I can make it. 

I'll bring:

  • Kert's Camphor Single Cut
  • Pete's EB3 Tribute
  • Pete's Piccolo bass
  • My 6-string electric version of the piccolo (which will be finished by then :)  )

...and of course, @scrumpymike will have his Rascal ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Andyjr1515 said:

Certain I can make it. 

I'll bring:

  • Kert's Camphor Single Cut
  • Pete's EB3 Tribute
  • Pete's Piccolo bass
  • My 6-string electric version of the piccolo (which will be finished by then :)  )

...and of course, @scrumpymike will have his Rascal ;)

That's brilliant Andy - list edited accordingly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, HOW CAN WE IMPROVE ON LAST YEAR?

Don't get me wrong, if this year's bash is no better than 2017, nobody will be going home disappointed.  However, on the basis that there's always room for improvement, I've been doing some thinking.  The only thing I've come up with is something I already considered before the last, inaugural BFS-WBB.  For me, the main point behind the bash is to explore different permutations of bass, amp and cabs and try and translate that into how it would sound in a gig situation.  If we repeat last year's set up, we know there'll be no shortage of instruments and equipment (our own and sponsors'); we'll also have a decent-sized hall with some bodies in it and a stage.  The only thing we won't know is how different stuff/settings will cut through in a live mix - which for many of us is the most important thing to know.

So, here's my idea:  one of my gigs is a two-piece covers band, where me and my buddy play (bass and guitar) and sing live to recorded backing tracks.  If we set our kit up in a small space on stage, we can provide the missing mix.  Anyone could choose a number they'd like to play along to using kit selected from what's available (i.e. their own and that of willing donors). Another option (rather than a free-for-all) but be to establish from the bashers what their most popular amp/cab combinations are and just demo those.

If done properly, I think this could work really well and provide us with the 'missing link'.  (It might also reduce the amount random, gratuitous noodling :D)  The trick would be to manage it (so it doesn't get too intrusive and tiresome for those who don't gig) by restricting sessions to certain times during the 10am-4pm core period AND/OR continuing for an hour or so afterwards for those who wanted to.  We also need to think carefully about how to make it informative - and even entertaining! - for the 'audience'.  I (and I'm guessing Rich) would be happy to 'MC-lite' this part of the bash to keep it all under control.

I'd welcome your views on this suggestion together with any others (especially from those who attended last year).

Thanks,

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike,

Do you have any plans to use that second smaller room again? Last year it was a bit of a quiet room and was good to take any kit away from the noise of the main hall to try out.

Cheers

Jez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scrumpymike said:

So, HOW CAN WE IMPROVE ON LAST YEAR?

I'd welcome your views on this suggestion together with any others (especially from those who attended last year).

Thanks,

Mike

What about a band made up of nothing but bass players using different gear??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Hi Mike,

Do you have any plans to use that second smaller room again? Last year it was a bit of a quiet room and was good to take any kit away from the noise of the main hall to try out.

Cheers

Jez

Yes, like last year I've hired the whole of the hall for the day and I think that arrangement worked well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Pinball said:

What about a band made up of nothing but bass players using different gear??

 

Perfect! :crazy:

Edited by scrumpymike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

Sadly I'm not a regular here but was told about the bash by a fellow member, I only live down the road from the hall so will do my best to make sure I get there, be good to see what others have got going on!

Cheers

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, fordbass said:

Hi all,

Sadly I'm not a regular here but was told about the bash by a fellow member, I only live down the road from the hall so will do my best to make sure I get there, be good to see what others have got going on!

Cheers

Steve

Greetings Steve - a bass-playing neighbour no less!  I've added your name to the list so you'll have to come now :D.  Let us know in due course what (if anything) you might be bringing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/13/2018 at 12:49, scrumpymike said:

So, HOW CAN WE IMPROVE ON LAST YEAR?

Don't get me wrong, if this year's bash is no better than 2017, nobody will be going home disappointed.  However, on the basis that there's always room for improvement, I've been doing some thinking.  The only thing I've come up with is something I already considered before the last, inaugural BFS-WBB.  For me, the main point behind the bash is to explore different permutations of bass, amp and cabs and try and translate that into how it would sound in a gig situation.  If we repeat last year's set up, we know there'll be no shortage of instruments and equipment (our own and sponsors'); we'll also have a decent-sized hall with some bodies in it and a stage.  The only thing we won't know is how different stuff/settings will cut through in a live mix - which for many of us is the most important thing to know.

So, here's my idea:  one of my gigs is a two-piece covers band, where me and my buddy play (bass and guitar) and sing live to recorded backing tracks.  If we set our kit up in a small space on stage, we can provide the missing mix.  Anyone could choose a number they'd like to play along to using kit selected from what's available (i.e. their own and that of willing donors). Another option (rather than a free-for-all) but be to establish from the bashers what their most popular amp/cab combinations are and just demo those.

If done properly, I think this could work really well and provide us with the 'missing link'.  (It might also reduce the amount random, gratuitous noodling :D)  The trick would be to manage it (so it doesn't get too intrusive and tiresome for those who don't gig) by restricting sessions to certain times during the 10am-4pm core period AND/OR continuing for an hour or so afterwards for those who wanted to.  We also need to think carefully about how to make it informative - and even entertaining! - for the 'audience'.  I (and I'm guessing Rich) would be happy to 'MC-lite' this part of the bash to keep it all under control.

I'd welcome your views on this suggestion together with any others (especially from those who attended last year).

Thanks,

Mike

Re suggestions, I'm not that bothered about  gear demos with backing tracks as I'd rather do my own thing and what may sound great played by 'X' may sound rubbish when I play that combination! But it's an interesting idea, maybe in the quiet room?

However, being an inquisitive soul, I was a little bit disappointed we didn't get any of the short talks scheduled from any of the Luthiers/retailers present last year. I don't know if  Gillet/Chowny/Retrovibe will be coming along again, but if so, it would be nice to hear a bit about their products from them and do a Q&A. 

A few years ago I got Ben from Crimson Guitars along and he gave an interesting talk and got enough interest about set-ups to run a short bass set-up course  from those who attended the Bash. So that kind of thing 'floats my boat' but I could be in a minority of 1 on this....!

Also I know it's easier for those at the SE Bash to encourage a 'celeb' along but I look on with envy at the caliber of the pro Bassists they manage to attract ( Herbie Flowers, John Bentley, Dave Swift etc etc) We did have an ex- Sabbath Bassist (Jo Burt) at one of our Bashes a few years ago and it was fun hearing his tales of the road..... know of anyone else from your neck of the woods?

Having said all this, if you just replicate last year, I won't be disappointed! It was a great event.

Edited by yorks5stringer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for that y5s - very helpful.  Re gear demo's, my idea is that the people requesting a demo of specific equipment will be the ones playing the bass line of their chosen song.  As for celeb's, I'd really discounted that on the grounds that it would be a distraction from the main aim of meeting bass buddies and evaluating gear.  I do agree about getting our sponsors to give a short presentation though; that was planned last time but somehow got forgotten about on the day (I think partly because 2 of our 3 sponsors were fairly absorbed in discussing the business deal that they announced shortly afterwards).

Edited by scrumpymike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was great last year, although I am not sure why you need to play the bass of a chosen song, because I thought that happened anyone, you would go up to someone, say 'ooh thats nice, can I have a go' and ply the bass line of the song you were thinking!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm auditioning for a few bands at the moment so can't be certain what if anything I'll be doing but I'd love to come along. Don't think I own anything anyone would be particularly excited to see or play but I could demo my homemade shoulder saver system which might prolong a few careers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Woodinblack said:

I thought it was great last year, although I am not sure why you need to play the bass of a chosen song, because I thought that happened anyone, you would go up to someone, say 'ooh thats nice, can I have a go' and ply the bass line of the song you were thinking!

 

This refers to the 'bass karaoke' set-up I mentioned earlier. The idea is that people can evaluate the kit they're interested in over one of the pre-recorded backing tracks that me and my buddy gig with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'm auditioning for a few bands at the moment so can't be certain what if anything I'll be doing but I'd love to come along. Don't think I own anything anyone would be particularly excited to see or play but I could demo my homemade shoulder saver system which might prolong a few careers.

I bet there'll be some interest in that.  I've added your name to the provisional list - no worries if you can't make it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

This refers to the 'bass karaoke' set-up I mentioned earlier. The idea is that people can evaluate the kit they're interested in over one of the pre-recorded backing tracks that me and my buddy gig with.

Yes, that is what I understood. Not the sort of thing I would be interested in but the more options the better, sure it will be good anyway!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Mike 

Put me on the list again. I'll bring along my rig and basses as per last year. Barefaced BTII etc.

Good idea re the jam along, quite happy for people to use my rig or bits of it. Remember to bring extra leads this year as we had a few connection issues last year. See you there 🎸🔊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Charliebass212 said:

Hi Mike 

Put me on the list again. I'll bring along my rig and basses as per last year. Barefaced BTII etc.

Good idea re the jam along, quite happy for people to use my rig or bits of it. Remember to bring extra leads this year as we had a few connection issues last year. See you there 🎸🔊

Thanks Charliebass - you're in!  Good point re leads.  I'll try and bring more and put a call out nearer the time for people to bring their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×