Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2018!! 08/04/2018

scrumpymike

Thanks Mike for another great day. Great see lots from last year and new faces as well. Well done with the builds jez I'm sure that hollow fretless wasn't real it was so light light . Nice to meet Andy and see some of his handiwork, really excellent. Keep up the builds lads. And finally well done Phil the cab sounded pretty good, and thank you to the ladies for the wonderful food. Roll on the next one. Brilliant

Just now, Pea Turgh said:

Just to echo what everyone else said - cheers @scrumpymike and gang.  Oh and I wish I had the dough for your headless Hohner Jack - it fit like a glove!  Hopefully it’ll still be available at the end of the month.

Thanks to @yorks5stringer for the swap - I’m very happy with my new bass!  A mate popped over this evening and used it to work out a couple of riffs/incidental pieces for some short he’s working on - very cool.

Brilliant to talk to the all the builders, too. I still can’t believe my wife was encouraging me to buy one of @Jabba_the_gut‘s marvelous creations (ignoring the lack of funds element).  She’s after something, that one...

Very happy with the Squier you kindly swapped to me, needless to say have changed the pickup covers back to black and given it a brush up and polish too (not that I'm saying it was dirty, just I have so much polish......)

• Like 2

A big THANK YOU to Mike and all his team! It really was a fantastic event! 
Beautiful venue surroundings… Amazing people I got a chance to meet and share some stories with… Lovely food provided… Lots of gear to try (wish I had more time to do it)… Great day! Already looking forward for next year’s bash!! I’ll try to bring more than one bass (that means I need to buy another one then…) :biggrin:

• Like 1

Sorry we couldn't attend. We'll endeavour to be at the next one. :)

On the plus side - our new office and video studio in Bristol is nearly finished, so if you're desperate to try our basses you now have somewhere in the South West to come and do it.

Looking forward to seeing all the photos. 

• Like 1

A big thank you from me too to The Scrumpy’s. Fabulous food great organisation and a lovely venue. 

Thanks for allowing us to use the so called quiet room for the shootout and cab build. Although the shootout did not go quite as planned I think anyone was there st any of the sessions came out with a lot to think about. 

Phil's 42 minute cab build was a relevation  and a big thank you to all that brought cabs for us to try.

Andy and Jabba’s basses were even more beautiful in real life and although I swore I would never by an acoustic bass guitar those Gillard put the G in GAS.

Finally a big thank you to Ashdown who trusted a random bloke with three amps and a cab. I have no affiliation to Ashdown except that I have a MiBass 220. However a few days with the RM500s shows me that they have really got to grips with Class D heads. As for the RM112T cabinet, we all thought we could happily gig it. I understand the EVO 2 cabs will be an improvement on th EVO model we had. I can’t wait to try that.

Other impressions, Barefaced cabs, stupidly light. I can see why people buy them for that alone. 

More in a fuller report later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassBod said:

I forgot to have a proper look at the Peterson amp - who brought that along?  One of the few older amps I always wanted to try out but never found one...

Hello, that’ll be me! I had intended to try selling it, but I arrived too late and I wasn’t really committed to letting it go!

I should pop it in the for sale section here, but haven’t a clue how much for!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

Hello, that’ll be me! I had intended to try selling it, but I arrived too late and I wasn’t really committed to letting it go!

I should pop it in the for sale section here, but haven’t a clue how much for!

Hello...will PM...

14 hours ago, Norm said:

Shame you couldn't make it Rich, you were missed! I never got a go on your WAL last year, so was hoping too this year.

I'll be there next year, for definite! The Wal needs a spot of gentle TLC -- she's an old lady now, y'know xD -- so I've got a year to get her sorted out.

• Like 2

A huge THANK YOU to Mike and his faithful crew. I had a splendid day, played with lots of great gear, chatted with fellow low register addicts and had a tasty lunch as well....all for £10!!

As always, Jabba's builds were top drawer. I fell in love with the fretless. If only it was a five string....There may just be a commission coming his way.

I was also pleasantly surprised that my Genz Benz Focus 12 cab was reviewed very favourably by the guys in the techie room. I won't be selling that in a long while then.

Nice to meet you all. See you next year.

• Like 1

What a great day out! And a great venue in the Somerset countryside. It takes a lot of work to organise an event that ran as smoothly as this one. So, many thanks to Mike for all his hard work and impeccable organisation, and to his wife (and/or daughter :biggrin:) and helpers who prepared such lovely food and served it with a friendly  smile. I can still taste that apple cake.....

For anyone who half-considered coming but didn't, I can say that the atmosphere was very relaxed, and that everyone was really friendly and welcoming. So make sure you make it next year. People were keen for you to try their basses and amps, and there were some fascinating products - old and new - to play with. I tried out some of my fave Ibanez basses, and was surprised at how good an old Mk IV Trace Elliot 150W head was (bloody good!).

I spent most of my time in the techie room, as Graham calls it, auditioning cabs and discussing the finer points of Linkwitz-Reilley crossovers (not really) and collecting opinions on the voicing of the latest incarnation of the Basschat 12 (a project that will no doubt continue as long as there is Basschat). John put in a lot of work for the cab shootout, even though it didn't quite go as planned - but lessons were learned ^_^. And Phil's cab building demonstration was an eye-opener. He built a complete, working cab in 42 minutes. Amazing!

Thanks to all who contributed to making this such a brilliant event!

Edited by stevie
missed a comma.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yorks5stringer said:

Just remembered the Mark Audio PA system sounded 'monster' and it was  just a couple of small cabs and some tweeters on poles ( you can tell I've really read up on the technical terms...)

As that tyoe of PA goes it was superiror to those horrid Bose systems but seemed to lack a bit in the mid range. The bets PA system I have used for years is the UK made Blue Audio M2S http://blue-acoustic.com/m2s-high-power-compact-system/ really sounded like a full range hifi with no effort. 

And here's the Bash' story in pictures:

It's just gone 8am last Sunday morning and, while most decent folk are still asleep in their beds, everyone is already hard at work in the 'engine room' - including Mr Carrot, Jen's tattie brush (more of him later).

DSCF2331.jpg

http://DSCF2282.jpg

• Like 1

On the other side of the serving hatch, preparations are under way in the main hall too: Scrumpymike's friend and neighbour Graham (who's never picked a bass up in his life!!) is laying the mains cabling and Simon is loading the Gillett exhibit on to the stage;

http://DSCF2285.jpg

Scrumpy Janey has also stuck the 'welcome' notice on the glass of the hall entrance door.

http://DSCF2297.jpg

The event is open!  Graham has slipped seemlessly from cable-laying to reception duties and the first guests are arriving - here's John 'chienmortbb' on his way to start setting up the 12" cab shootout.

http://DSCF2315_2.jpg

Back in the kitchen, Scrumpette Mandy is rustling-up breakfast in the shape of her world-famous (well, certainly in Newton Abbot) frittatas...

http://DSCF2283.jpg

...which didn't hang around for long!

http://DSCF2305.jpg

• Like 2

Great job Woody!  As I watched Phil do the build on Sunday, I've only played the first few minutes of the recording but seems like it's come out really well!  I know the 'live' audience enjoyed it (see below) and this video will open it up to a lot more people.

http://DSCF2720.jpg

I thought Phil came across as a natural 'presenter' - and even managed to retain his composure when Mr Murphy (of 'Murphy's Law' fame) managed to supply a faulty lead which stopped Phil demonstrating his completed cab for a few nervous minutes at the end :facepalm: