Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2018!! 08/04/2018

scrumpymike

Big thumbs up from me as well, all credit to Mike ,The Scrumpettes & everyone else involved in running this event, I'm still traumatised that I had to leave just before lunch, sincerely hope this becomes an annual event ( that way I might get a double portion at next years lunch ) . Spent a great couple of hours there & as for Jabba, I'm still left speechless by his wares, Mike B.

I can only echo the sentiments expressed above - a fantastic effort by all the Scrumpies and Scrumpettes. Great food was much appreciated, special mention to the frittata which was amazing!

My GAS hasn't diminished, unsurprisingly - my want list has a few new additions after today. Big thanks to all who allowed me to try some of their really quite excellent bass guitars. It was great to meet you all :)

Wonderful day today. Nothing but respect for the organisers, lovely to meet so many splendid people. I learned much, got to play plenty of fine instruments, only came home with two more basses in the car than I left with this morning and ate and drank in joyous and delicious abundance.

Thanks to everyone who made it all possible.

++1 to previous comments. What an amazingly well organised event - well done to all involved!

Bass 'wants' from this year, in no particular order:

Bassbod's white jazz

Jabba's fretless (there's a queue for this)

Woody's 8 string.

And maybe a Barefaced 2x12, just to try for a bit...

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

Wonderful day today. Nothing but respect for the organisers, lovely to meet so many splendid people. I learned much, got to play plenty of fine instruments, only came home with two more basses in the car than I left with this morning and ate and drank in joyous and delicious abundance.

Thanks to everyone who made it all possible.

Many thanks to Mike and his family and friends who did all the hard work. I hope they enjoyed it because for the rest of us it was so much fun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheRev said:

Bassbod's white jazz

Jabba's fretless (there's a queue for this)

Woody's 8 string.

Have to agree with you there, Bassbod's has made me think about switching to roundwounds on my 4-string fretless 

+1's to all of the above!

Cracking afternoon, great company, great food & lots of great gear.

Bassbod's fretless jazz, Woody's 8 str Dean, Yorks5str's 72 Telecaster, Jabba's new fretless. GAS is a coming & she aint going away 😉

Just back :)

Great, great bash. 

Many thanks to Mrs Scrumpymike and the amazing catering team for their endless energy, cheerfulness and wonderful food & drinks, many thanks to Scumpymike for the organisation and thanks to all the attendees for the warm welcome, the interesting chats and the sublime basses and equipment on show!

Andy

• Like 1

Just wanted to say thanks to Mike and the Scrumpy crew for another great bash - really appreciated the organisation of this and the lovely food. I'm looking forward to next year already!! It was great to meet up with people I met last year and to put some faces to names of others I have seen on the forum.

Day went far too quickly for me and I didn't get to try half the things I would have liked to! The 1x12 shoot out was very interesting but I missed the 1x12" build as I was too busy chatting. As usual, there was lots of different and interesting kit. It was great to chat to Michael Gillett again - really interesting chap and lovely basses. And some cracking Markbass gear too - Marcus Miller heads and 1x12 cabinet took my fancy. I carried someone's (Norm's?) 2x15 Barefaced cab in  - one handed carry - ridiculously light.

I have to say thanks for all the positive comments I got on the basses I took, especially on the fretless one; I'm glad folk liked them. To hear what the fretless one actually sounds like in the hands of people than can actually play fretless was really rewarding for me. I need to practice (a lot!!!).

For anyone that has thought about going but hasn't, you really should no matter what your ability or kit. This is such a friendly event in a lovely location.

Thanks again to everyone for a really enjoyable day.

Jez

And I won a cracking strap in the raffle - really chuffed with that!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jabba_the_gut said:

Just wanted to say thanks to Mike and the Scrumpy crew for another great bash - really appreciated the organisation of this and the lovely food. I'm looking forward to next year already!! It was great to meet up with people I met last year and to put some faces to names of others I have seen on the forum.

Day went far too quickly for me and I didn't get to try half the things I would have liked to! The 1x12 shoot out was very interesting but I missed the 1x12" build as I was too busy chatting. As usual, there was lots of different and interesting kit. It was great to chat to Michael Gillett again - really interesting chap and lovely basses. And some cracking Markbass gear too - Marcus Miller heads and 1x12 cabinet took my fancy. I carried someone's (Norm's?) 2x15 Barefaced cab in  - one handed carry - ridiculously light.

I have to say thanks for all the positive comments I got on the basses I took, especially on the fretless one; I'm glad folk liked them. To hear what the fretless one actually sounds like in the hands of people than can actually play fretless was really rewarding for me. I need to practice (a lot!!!).

For anyone that has thought about going but hasn't, you really should no matter what your ability or kit. This is such a friendly event in a lovely location.

Thanks again to everyone for a really enjoyable day.

Jez

And I won a cracking strap in the raffle - really chuffed with that!

Yarp, was my Barefaced Vintage you carried for me, 21 kg iirc. Tbf you could've tilted & wheeled :) 

Was a great day, again, too much ace gear but it's nice to try it all out.

Your latest fretless was sweet!

2 hours ago, Rich said:

Sounds like everyone had an utterly dreadful day, as I suspected you would. I'm really glad I had to work and miss the whole f%$&*ing thing. :angry2: 

Shame you couldn't make it Rich, you were missed! I never got a go on your WAL last year, so was hoping too this year.

Thanks for the positive feedback - we really enjoyed it again and it was nice to greet existing Bash buddies and meet some new ones.  The 12" cab self-build demo and shootout sessions were a worthwhile addition this year and it was great to see Jabba's and AndyJr's wonderful work on display in the same room!  I'll start posting pic's tomorrow but it'll take a while to sort through them as Scrumpy Janey took around 500 this time!!

Could the winner of the Bath Place Music set-up voucher in the raffle please remind me who you are (sorry, it's an age thing :D) and pm me your address for posting.  Also, Norm owes someone a pedal of some kind.

Just now, scrumpymike said:

Thanks for the positive feedback - we really enjoyed it again and it was nice to greet existing Bash buddies and meet some new ones.  The 12" cab self-build demo and shootout sessions were a worthwhile addition this year and it was great to see Jabba's and AndyJr's wonderful work on display in the same room!  I'll start posting pic's tomorrow but it'll take a while to sort through them as Scrumpy Janey took around 500 this time!!

Could the winner of the Bath Place Music set-up voucher in the raffle please remind me who you are (sorry, it's an age thing :D) and pm me your address for posting.  Also, Norm owes someone a pedal of some kind.

Was a cracking day, thanks to team Scrump!

Woodinblack is the lucky winner of the missing pedal. Arrangements have already been made for delivery!

15 minutes ago, Norm said:

Woodinblack is the lucky winner of the missing pedal. Arrangements have already been made for delivery!

Well done Norm - that just leaves my pink torpedo-up to sort then :facepalm:

Blimey, we're well chuffed that everybody seems to have had such a good time -  I'll book the hall for next year's Bash tomorrow!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, scrumpymike said:

Well done Norm - that just leaves my pink torpedo-up to sort then :facepalm:

Blimey, we're well chuffed that everybody seems to have had such a good time -  I'll book the hall for next year's Bash tomorrow!!

Seriously mate, it was a really lovely day

• Like 1

Just to echo what everyone else said - cheers @scrumpymike and gang.  Oh and I wish I had the dough for your headless Hohner Jack - it fit like a glove!  Hopefully it’ll still be available at the end of the month.

Thanks to @yorks5stringer for the swap - I’m very happy with my new bass!  A mate popped over this evening and used it to work out a couple of riffs/incidental pieces for some short he’s working on - very cool.

Brilliant to talk to the all the builders, too. I still can’t believe my wife was encouraging me to buy one of @Jabba_the_gut‘s marvelous creations (ignoring the lack of funds element).  She’s after something, that one...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1