Why become a member? ×

The Big Fat South-West Bass Bash 2018!! 08/04/2018

scrumpymike

On 2/25/2018 at 17:01, scrumpymike said:

BASH UPDATE!!

CHOWNY BASS  Regrettably it's not going to be possible for Stephen Chown to attend this year's bash but I'm going to see if we can find a way of displaying examples of his newer stuff such as the top-of-the-range SWB-1 (which I would very much like to try).  So, it looks like our self-build 12" cab team will be sharing the stage area with the Gillett Guitars exhibit plus (hopefully) a few Chowny basses on the side.

RAFFLE  If you have anything that would make a decent raffle prize, please put it to one side and bring it on the day.  I've got a new Maruszczyk premium-quality wide leather strap, some new Maru strings and a few other odds & sods.

CALL FOR MUGS (?!)  Our otherwise perfect community hall only has piddly little cups so, although we'll be bringing some from home, it will be helpful if you bring your own - or (better still) buy one of the bass-bash mugs we'll be selling at a fiver apiece.

http://TBFS_WBB_mug_front.jpg

http://TBFS_WBB_mug_back.jpg

T-SHIRTS  will only be available on a pre-ordered/pre-paid basis this year - 'no takers, no T-shirts'.  So, if you want one, please order and pay your £12 before Monday 12th March to avoid disappointment.

http://DSCF1875.jpg

(Sorry about the models but it was a low-budget event)

Not long now :D

Just a reminder about the above and, especially, a LAST CALL FOR T-SHIRT ORDERS!!  If you want one and haven't yet ordered (they're £12 each), please pm me your order with your size BY THIS THURSDAY 15th LATEST and I'll reply with payment details.

CALL FOR RAFFLE PRIZES!!

OK, this should get the ball rolling: A whopping-great 1.5l 'optic'-style bottle of Black Bottle scotch!  The Whisky Exchange describes this unique blend as follows:  "The island of Islay is renowned all over the world for its intensely powerful and charismatic Scotch whiskies. Black Bottle is totally unique in being created from whiskies from all seven of the famous distilleries on Islay.  Its spiritual home is the Bunnahabhain distillery in the north-east of the Island."  This was bottled before the brand re-launch in 2013, which reduced the Islay content.  My Scottish pal, who really knows his stuff, rates this original blend alongside the best of the single malts.  This and a lovely top-of-the-range leather strap from Adrian Maruszczyk have to be contenders for this year's 'Best in Raffle' prize.  There's also a bottle of Gordon's gin up for grabs (take that home to the wife and all will be forgiven :D) plus a couple of Bash T-shirts and mugs.

What can you guys and (hopefully) gals bring to the party?

PLUS: " Line 6 Otto filter auto wah thingy" (thanks Norm!)

Edited by scrumpymike

LAST CALL FOR T-SHIRTS!!

I have to confirm order with my supplier first thing Monday morning so I need any more orders tomorrow latest and £12 payments (pm me for details) soon afterwards please (sizes are below pic's).

http://T_shirts_2018.jpg

Available sizes are:

Size: S M L XL XXL 3XL
Chest (to fit): 34/36 38 40/42 44/46 48/50 52
Edited by scrumpymike

I can bring a set of electro/acoustic bass strings for the raffle if that's any use?

I'm planning on bringing a selection of my bass guitars too, just the interesting ones and probably my little Marshall practice amp as the sound of the fan in my Hartke will probably cause offence! :)

I was thinking of bringing my Fender MIJ Jazz Bass Special (which isn't really a Jazz!) my Allen Eden Jazz (which is) a Hutchins Thunderbolt Tele, Hohner B bass IV and my BC Rich Zombie so anyone that wants to can experience the horror! 

The 12" cab shootout is taking shape. The plan is to have 3/4 cabs with the ability to replace the 4th cab with anyone's cab upon request. The three staples will be a boutique cab, a BC 1x12 and a commercial 1x12.

The boutique cab will be one of Scrumpemike's Barefaced Compact Gen 3. The BC 1x12 will be the latest version with a compression driver and proper crossover, the commercial cab is an Ashdown RM112. A big thank you to Ashdown who have promised us the RM112 as well as four amps. Hopefully we will also have one of Greenboy's classic designs. 

The bass signals will be recorded to take out the variences of different performances. In between Shootout sessions the amps/cabs will be available for people to try out with their basses or for Jabba or Andy to dem their builds in relative silence.

As it is a blind test,  all the cabs will be hidden during the tests and we will ask people to grade them. I genuinely want to know if the extra money for a boutique cab or the work for the diy cab is worth it. The test should take about 15 mins and I would be happy to do up to 4 during the day. 

Full details of the test setup and an explanation of the test methods will be available on the day. We hope to record the sessions and post them on here later.

If  have a 1x12 you would like to compare please let me know..

• Like 1

On 3/24/2018 at 13:33, Chienmortbb said:

The 12" cab shootout is taking shape. The plan is to have 3/4 cabs with the ability to replace the 4th cab with anyone's cab upon request. The three staples will be a boutique cab, a BC 1x12 and a commercial 1x12.

The boutique cab will be one of Scrumpemike's Barefaced Compact Gen 3. The BC 1x12 will be the latest version with a compression driver and proper crossover, the commercial cab is an Ashdown RM112. A big thank you to Ashdown who have promised us the RM112 as well as four amps. Hopefully we will also have one of Greenboy's classic designs. 

The bass signals will be recorded to take out the variences of different performances. In between Shootout sessions the amps/cabs will be available for people to try out with their basses or for Jabba or Andy to dem their builds in relative silence.

As it is a blind test,  all the cabs will be hidden during the tests and we will ask people to grade them. I genuinely want to know if the extra money for a boutique cab or the work for the diy cab is worth it. The test should take about 15 mins and I would be happy to do up to 4 during the day. 

Full details of the test setup and an explanation of the test methods will be available on the day. We hope to record the sessions and post them on here later.

If  have a 1x12 you would like to compare please let me know..

Looking good!

On 3/24/2018 at 14:28, BassBod said:

I could bring a TKS 112, if it would be of interest?   

23 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I can bring a TC RS112 if you dont have one of those, in fact i was bringing one anyway

Seems to me the more cab's the better - we want single 12-inchers in the main  hall as well.

I can bring my old & battered SWR Bass Monitor 12 wedge... although how much use it'd be, I don't know xD

Will see if I can look out a raffle prize or two. I've got a new set of D'Addarios lurking somewhere for starters.

Edited by Rich

6 hours ago, Rich said:

I can bring my old & battered SWR Bass Monitor 12 wedge... although how much use it'd be, I don't know xD

Will see if I can look out a raffle prize or two. I've got a new set of D'Addarios lurking somewhere for starters.

If it's a wedge, we can always use it to keep the door open :D  (If it turns out to be the best cab, there really will be some questions asked.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1