Why become a member? ×

Metallica /Trujillo

bigjimmyc

Master Of Puppets on a Jazz Bass....!

God, I fookin’ love Rob Trujillo, the guy is a bass master / Machine, but cool as fook and a bloody nice guy to boot...

What a gig, the live bass solo of Anaesthetia (Pulling Teeth) with the Cliff Burton footage was spectacular...I was loving that...tears in the eye stuff that...!! 😎🍺

Edited by lou24d53

Trujillo's the whole package in my eyes fantastic Bass player and genuinely nice guy....Unfortunately not seen him with Metallica but did see them with both Burton and Newsted in there times....will have to get my tired old wary arse into gear and check them out as he's the best of the 3 in my opinion

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1509028255' post='3396159']
It'd be a real opportunity missed if they ignore it
[/quote]

I dunno, it gives the album it's own "thing" (for better or worse). I'd be like re-recording the snare on St Anger all over. I think it'd take more away from the album than it would add. Fair play to them standing by the decisions they made back then, warts an' all.

Going to the Birmingham date next week, looking forward to it! :)

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1509057747' post='3396423']

What a gig, the live bass solo of Anaesthetia (Pulling Teeth) with the Cliff Burton footage was spectacular...I was loving that...tears in the eye stuff that...!! 😎🍺
[/quote]

Funnily enough, I read the papers the next day and at least two of the gig write ups complained about the 'unnecessary bass solo'. Made me laugh as clearly these journos didn't know jack about Metallica or Cliff.

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1508922724' post='3395308']
Was the heavily relic'd fender jazz his Jaco bass? CME to think of it that got re finished... Trujillo is a monster of a bassist and comes across as a thoroughly decent person. I have watched his bass audition for Metallica on YouTube a few times, not just for the quality of his playing but the genuine child like happiness of being chosen to be their next bass player.
[/quote]

the million dollar signing on bonus might have had a bit to do with that too :)

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1509016963' post='3396028']
And it's always been the case that the best musician in Metallica is the bass player.
[/quote]
+1, and always the most credible.
RT joining a band as naff as they’d become - great commercial move from Lars, and lottery win for a seemingly decent guy and monster player.

[quote name='Monkey Steve' timestamp='1509028255' post='3396159']
I'm intrigued to see whether that's something they'll address if/as and when they get round to a deluxe reissue. ..but it's been a bit of a thing for Justice since it was released. It'd be a real opportunity missed if they ignore it
[/quote]

Alas won’t happen, the original tapes have deteriorated so much. Interesting interview with Rasmussen explaining his frustrations https://youtu.be/lmFgeFh2nlw

[quote name='bazztard' timestamp='1509158594' post='3397075']

the million dollar signing on bonus might have had a bit to do with that too :)
[/quote]

Yes, but if he was in it purely for the cash he'd have said nah, 1.5m, you know I'm the best you can get... Or I would, if purely in it for the cash!! In short, it may have helped but I don't think it was everything to him.

I saw them at Glasgow but was sitting up high and sound was awful. I have seen few bands there and usually sound sh*t. I have been a fan of Metallica since before 90 and really liked RT since ST and IG. Not sure if it works but I think it’s a match that should work. RT was on fire though and nice to see another Warwick player but I remember his days with Tobias.

I never noticed Spector or Zon but what a good taste, the man is brilliant

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1509220313' post='3397436']
I saw them at Glasgow but was sitting up high and sound was awful. I have seen few bands there and usually sound sh*t. I have been a fan of Metallica since before 90 and really liked RT since ST and IG. Not sure if it works but I think it’s a match that should work. RT was on fire though and nice to see another Warwick player but I remember his days with Tobias.

I never noticed Spector or Zon but what a good taste, the man is brilliant
[/quote]

I was standing, right of stage - well, at least where it would have been! The sound for the first few songs, Hardwired, Atlas Rise!, and Seek And Destroy was terrible - could hardly even hear any bass for these three songs, but it was gradually better each song and I’d say was fixed by Harvester Of Sorrow.

Edit: Just edited as that in itself is ironic, Harvester Of Sorrow with audible bass...🤔😆

Edited by lou24d53

I loved the gig and I have been a big fan since 90 and hear one of my favourite songs Harvester of sorrow was a high light. Justice is my favourite album by a mile and dyers eve is one of the best songs I know and the fact that one user has that user name is just beyond cool. I salute you mr

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1509220960' post='3397439']

I was standing, right of stage - well, at least where it would have been! The sound for the first few songs, Hardwired, Atlas Rise!, and Seek And Destroy was terrible - could hardly even hear any bass for these three songs, but it was gradually better each song and I’d say was fixed by Harvester Of Sorrow.

Edit: Just edited as that in itself is ironic, Harvester Of Sorrow with audible bass...🤔😆
[/quote]

Very jealous that they played Harvester od Sorrow at your gig not mine! Ditto Blitzkrieg the other night although we had Last Caress!

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1509264521' post='3397575']
The bass player is the best musician in Metallica?

Er... that's just not true. Hetfield is one of the best singer/songwriters of all time.
[/quote]
Valid point, but I wish he’d drop the smalltalk. I preferred the old Jaymz who was a foul-mouthed drunk to the reborn one who won’t shut up about the Tallica Family!

No doubting his talent as a writer/riffer though. Metal would not be the same without him.

Saw them at the Genting Arena last night. Great show, but sadly I heard precious little of Trujillo as the bass sound was just one massive kick drum induced mush. I honestly could only hear individual notes when he played a solo, and even then there was very little definition.

Now I have to admit that it’s been a fair time since I’ve been to an arena show, and this is the first since I’ve seen the light and started playing (and taking notice of) bass rather than guitar myself, but I’d expected the sound to be better. Guitars and vocals were great, but overpowered by the bass mush. I heard other people around me commenting on the same after the support had finished.

Is this typical of arena shows, and just a fact of life given the acoustic constraints?

My 16 year old son loved it - his first big gig. He was a bit shocked when I told him I’d first seen them 31 years ago!

Love Trujillo - an excellent bass player, but I have a [b]HUGE[/b] 'man-crush' on Jason. His onstage energy was amazing, and he is one of my biggest influences on how I play. I came to the band long after Cliff passed, so JN was always THE MAN.

One thing that Metallica lack now for me is his aggressive backing vocal.

Did anyone notice the complete lack of profanity from James? Not one single swear word between songs at Manchester.

[quote name='Gottastopbuyinggear' timestamp='1509444902' post='3398888']
Is this typical of arena shows, and just a fact of life given the acoustic constraints?
[/quote]

Pretty much, in my experience any show in a large-ish room can be hit or miss in terms of sound. Mostly miss for me at the Genting/NEC in particular though. The only decent mix I've actually been impressed with there was Black Sabbath earlier in the year, both shows sounded pretty much spot on for me! :happy:

[quote name='amnesia' timestamp='1509486926' post='3399418']
Love Trujillo - an excellent bass player, but I have a [b]HUGE[/b] 'man-crush' on Jason. His onstage energy was amazing, and he is one of my biggest influences on how I play. I came to the band long after Cliff passed, so JN was always THE MAN.

One thing that Metallica lack now for me is his aggressive backing vocal.

Did anyone notice the complete lack of profanity from James? Not one single swear word between songs at Manchester.
[/quote]

Yes, Jason was my favourite Metallica bass player. He played on my favourite Metallica records and he was brilliant in a live setting. I know some folk say they liked Cliff's style more or they prefer Rob's style now.

Jason brought in a new power to the old songs. The pre-Jason records lack a punch in the bass, to my ears. When the band played old RTL or MOP tunes live, Jason added a powerful groove that was lacking before. He might not have been as apt to fly around the neck but I thought Metallica sounded better for it. They finally had a bass player with the tone and attack to match that of Dave Ellefson of Megadeth. Jason also always comes across as a super nice guy, apparently still star-struck by his time playing with his heroes and ultimately, becoming part of the Metallica legend. When you consider that he was a fan of the biggest band in metal who ended up playing bass for them, it's heartening to see that he always appreciated his good fortune.