Why become a member? ×

Metallica /Trujillo

bigjimmyc

I was very fortunate to grab a ticket to the O2 last night. Having seen Metallica a few times before I thought they might have lost a few paces, but I was wrong!

I’m massively impressed with this venue. My standing ticket left me well under 20 feet from the microphone, and yet I had fantastic sound quality.

With a huge back catalogue, there was too much stuff off the current album, and not enough variety for my taste. However, you could see the youthful crowd might not be familiar with all of it. I felt like an OAP.

Anyway, this is still a great band with a great performance by all members (no-one expects Lars to become a great drummer so I’ll let that go). Robert Trujillo absolutely nailed it, underpinning the vibe in a massive muscular way. For me he’s the ultimate metal bass player, precise, fast, and with a great live sound both in the solos and the anthems. Big respect.

I’ll try to post some of the photos I took. Trujillo switched from Spector to Warwick to a heavily reliced Fender Jazz, but my favourite was the transparent blue Warwick 5er. Obviously not an off-the shelf item, it had just one knob and possibly a badass bridge. Gorgeous kit.

Bottom line: this was a great rock show, sceptics beware because Metallica still kick serious arse!

I don't get out to big arena shows these days, but from what footage I'd seen from a couple years ago it looked like they'd lost interest and were going through the motions, so it's nice to hea that they've found that energy and love of playing again.

Trujillo is a monster and absolutely the right choice for Metallica today, he seems to be able to bring together the guitars and drums by weaving a real groove between them.

Was the heavily relic'd fender jazz his Jaco bass? CME to think of it that got re finished... Trujillo is a monster of a bassist and comes across as a thoroughly decent person. I have watched his bass audition for Metallica on YouTube a few times, not just for the quality of his playing but the genuine child like happiness of being chosen to be their next bass player.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1508918198' post='3395257']
I'll try to post some of the photos I took. Trujillo switched from Spector to Warwick to a heavily reliced Fender Jazz
[/quote]

Any photos of the Spector?

Trujillo is so much more than just a metal bassist.

He's a fully rounded musician who can ans has played the full gamut of styles from Jazz the full blown funk.

To be honest I've always thought his talents are a little bit wasted in Metallica, although I'm sure Trujillo himself, and his paycheck, would disagree with me on that one.

[quote name='lou24d53' timestamp='1508922769' post='3395309']
Can't wait for tomorrow night, heading to the Hydro in Glasgow...and only just realised that it is a single day off 25 years to the day from first seeing them live on the Wherever We May Roam tour (Black Album)coincidentally...
[/quote]

At the SECC? I was there!

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1508942341' post='3395518']
Trujillo is so much more than just a metal bassist.

He's a fully rounded musician who can ans has played the full gamut of styles from Jazz the full blown funk.

To be honest I've always thought his talents are a little bit wasted in Metallica, although I'm sure Trujillo himself, and his paycheck, would disagree with me on that one.
[/quote] Agree 100% on this, not knocking the quality of Mettalica's output it just seems that they mix the bass so low on their albums, their music would sound amazing if they brought Robert Trujillo's bass up louder in the mix, he is such a great bass player

[quote name='uk_lefty' timestamp='1508922724' post='3395308']
Was the heavily relic'd fender jazz his Jaco bass? CME to think of it that got re finished... Trujillo is a monster of a bassist and comes across as a thoroughly decent person. I have watched his bass audition for Metallica on YouTube a few times, not just for the quality of his playing but the genuine child like happiness of being chosen to be their next bass player.
[/quote]
Re Fender that same thought occured to me, but that was a fretless wasn’t it? Anyway it sounded amazing. He used it for One which was doubly surprising - I am cetain Jason Newstead preferred a 5-string for that.

[quote name='bigjimmyc' timestamp='1508953840' post='3395621']

Re Fender that same thought occured to me, but that was a fretless wasn’t it? Anyway it sounded amazing. He used it for One which was doubly surprising - I am cetain Jason Newstead preferred a 5-string for that.
[/quote]

Guessing it was this one? If so he's had it a while and not the Jaco bass

[quote name='Graham' timestamp='1508954690' post='3395628']
Guessing it was this one? If so he's had it a while and not the Jaco bass
[/quote]

It's a Nash "Flamethrower" bass apparently.

"[color=#545454]I like Bill Nash’s basses too. Nash makes great retro-style basses. [/color][color=#545454]One of my favorite basses is the “Flame Thrower.” This bass was actually in a fire and, I kid you not, it practically melted in that blaze! It’s so punk! And it pretty much play’s itself. [i]Totally thrashed! [/i]It’s one of my favorites!"[/color]

While I don't rate much that Metallica have released after the first three albums (but I still religiously buy them in the hope that one day they'll improve) I've never seen them do a bad show. Tends to be festivals these days (mostly Download of late...no doubt they'll be back there next year, or if not, the year after) rather than tours, and my favourite gig since the Burton days was when they did Reading in 2008. Just before Death Magnetic came out but rather than treat it like an album promo slot, they completely got that it was a festival crowd who might only have a passing knowledge of their stuff and played an extended best of set and only one new song. As i recall there were only four or five tracks that weren't off the first four albums (and gave me a new appreciation of how good And Justice is...admittedly in comparison with what came later) - like they knew i was coming and put the set together with me in mind.

First saw Trujillo with Infections Grooves back in the '90's and while Suicidal Tendencies were pretty thrashy in their day, I never quite got why he joined Metallica. Then the penny dropped, or rather, the massive pile of dollars dropped...all makes perfect sense.

And it's always been the case that the best musician in Metallica is the bass player.

Justice is a stunning album. It's just got a terrible mix.

There are versions on youtube with fixed bass. Some better than others, but all an improvement.
As for the best musician in Metallica - I think that does Hetfield a disservice. He is a machine.

I'm a bit torn about set lists. On one hand I want to hear the classics. But on the other I don't want a simple greatest hits show either.
I like Iron Maiden's approach - play the new album with some added favourites. They've done that forever and built the set (and Eddie) around the latest album.

It's like seeing a sequel to the last show rather than just a re-release.

I often prefer live versions to studio anyway. Even the St Anger stuff is great live, and without the sh*tty recorded snare sound.

[attachment=256293:IMG_3198.jpg][attachment=256294:IMG_3220.jpg][attachment=256295:IMG_3222.jpg]

Still amazed at my good fortune to get this close. For those going tonight, you're going to love it. Give the latest album a good listen beforehand though!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1509017663' post='3396041']
Justice is a stunning album. It's just got a terrible mix.
[/quote]

I'm intrigued to see whether that's something they'll address if/as and when they get round to a deluxe reissue. The original mix wasn't an issue on the previous albums (and the Master Of Puppets box set arrives next month, but the only sound issue on the original release was the clarity on the original 1 x 33.3 vinyl pressing that was fixed when they re-pressed it on 2 x 45's a few months later) but it's been a bit of a thing for Justice since it was released. It'd be a real opportunity missed if they ignore it