Why become a member? ×

Strap button screw loosening off ?

dmccombe7

Anyone else have a problem with their strap button screw coming loose quite often. ?
It tightens up again ok but eventually loosens off again after a few months.
I'm using the schaller strap lock system.

Don't think its the same problem as the screw not retightening so just wondered if anyone has a simple solution

Dave

I did, but a cool tip is that B&Q do some decent steel screws that have the small heads you need for Schallers, but they are longer than the daft ones you get in the Schaller set. Change to those and everything seemed to stay put. Failing that, a little bit of Loctite or a slither from a cocktail stick in the hole before driving the screw back in again should do the trick :)

Cocktail sticks work better than matchsticks as they are made from harder wood.

IME the problem with the Schaller screws isn't the length, which always seems plenty long enough where you consider that the screw goes deeper into the strap button on a Straplock and consequently more of it goes into the wood; but the fact that the screws tend to be thinner than those used for normal stop buttons. Which is why the cocktail stick method works so well.

Cheers guys.
I used the schallers mainly because my Thumb bass had them fitted but they have a proper imbedded bolt screw rather than a wood screw attachment and thought i would keep them all the same. I think i have some Dunlop ones so might change my 2 Fenders to them. I use the same strap for both Fenders but my Thumb bass strap is shorter in length due to the top horn button being higher up.

Dave

• 2 months later...

I periodically spray Teflon lube into the cup bit of my Schaller straplocks to try and prevent any torqueing action they might have on the strap buttons.  I've no idea if it actually helps, as I've never had any problems with mine, but belt and braces and all that.

11 hours ago, Deedee said:

Cocktail sticks have always worked for me.  Pop them in, snap Off and screw in.  I’ve never found the need to use glue.

this. I use toothpicks

for once the need for more profit worked in my favour, the toothpicks are about half as thick as they used to be, perfect for filling in screw holes. I never have to use glue either

This is a perennial problem with Schallers. This has been posted since the start of BC. How are they still getting away with selling these things with their undersized screws?

Dunlops never have this problem.

Matchsticks are just as good as toothpicks. You don't need hard wood because the pressure of the screw and the thread in the now greatly reduced hole size is enough to keep everything locked down.

I don't hold the kind of parties that serve little cubes of cheese and pickled onions so I've never owned a cocktail stick but I always have superglue. :biggrin:

To avoid getting it on the bass I coat the threads of the screws and I've never had one come out but they are still easy to remove if you ever sell the bass on.

Oddly enough I bought a pair of Schaller buttons last week for a new bass, lo and behold they came with 2 sets of screws, their original long fine threaded jobs and a set of coarser threaded slightly shorter screws like most normal buttons are fitted with.

The problem I have with Schallers is the the actual straplock holder rotating so the weight of the bass isn't held as the catch has rotated 90 degrees, and eventually, one sad sad evening, the bass drops on the floor. Tightening it with an adjustable spanner every so often seems to prevent this but it's another thing to keep an eye out for.

On 10/01/2018 at 21:47, Deedee said:

Cocktail sticks have always worked for me.  Pop them in, snap Off and screw in.  I’ve never found the need to use glue.

Same here - had to do this on one of my basses recently and it worked a treat! @Powertripper raises a good point about the straplock holder washer coming loose every so often, the only downside to Schallers.

13 minutes ago, Powertripper said:

The problem I have with Schallers is the the actual straplock holder rotating so the weight of the bass isn't held as the catch has rotated 90 degrees, and eventually, one sad sad evening, the bass drops on the floor. Tightening it with an adjustable spanner every so often seems to prevent this but it's another thing to keep an eye out for.

Yea, you need to use threadlock,, and you need to crank the nut down very tightly so that the straplock grips the strap well.  I hear a small dab of superglue is a suitable alternative to threadlock, but it's not something I've tried personally.

They are fine straplocks if you've got all the bits and pieces to hand that you need: a decent quality spanner;  grips, or some other way of holding the strap cup secure while you tighten the nut;  threadlock;  cocktail/matchsticks as described earlier, if your original screws won't go through the buttons;  a leather punch or something else to widen the holes on thick leather straps.

We could do with writing a Schaller fitting guide on this forum, these things come up so often, and Schaller don't acknowledge all of the issues in their instructions.  And Schaller could do with redesigning their straplocks a little bit.

On 11/01/2018 at 17:15, Delberthot said:

I don't hold the kind of parties that serve little cubes of cheese and pickled onions so I've never owned a cocktail stick but I always have superglue. :biggrin:

To avoid getting it on the bass I coat the threads of the screws and I've never had one come out but they are still easy to remove if you ever sell the bass on.

Be careful - I used to do this, then one day I tried to remove a screw and ended up snapping the head off!

On 1/15/2018 at 10:21, Powertripper said:

As I have posted on other threads; don't use Schaller straplocks as per the instructions. This results in metal grinding against metal and the strap buttons will eventually shear off. Instead, attach the strap to the bass as normal (without straplocks attached), then clip the straplocks onto the buttons, which will stop the strap coming off.

17 hours ago, arthurhenry said:

As I have posted on other threads; don't use Schaller straplocks as per the instructions. This results in metal grinding against metal and the strap buttons will eventually shear off. Instead, attach the strap to the bass as normal (without straplocks attached), then clip the straplocks onto the buttons, which will stop the strap coming off.

Seems like a good idea that I guess would allow you to change straps between basses as how and you please without having to unscrew the straplocks, might give this a try

On 1/10/2018 at 21:47, Deedee said:

same here, although I prefer to add wood glue if I have it handy... however, when in a hurry, without glue will work too... it may not be as durable but I'm now talking years without needing retightening or anything.

Schaller screws are noticeably thinner than most strap button screws, so I always needed a little extra help or replacement screws.

Eventually I gave up on the Schallers and turned to using tough rubber washers and/or strap buttons with oversized T-shape heads. 

• 3 weeks later...