Why become a member? ×

Wheelboards

Wiggybass

Hi all

Has anyone come up with a simple and effective way of attaching wheel boards to cabs such that they can also be removed easily?

I use a pair of Bergantino cabs and I've made sturdy wheel boards for both, using heavy-duty ply and 3" wheel flightcase castors. They work great in terms of moving the cabs around but they also de-couple the cabs from the floor which (obviously) reduces the low-frequency response significantly - ideally I need to find a way of being able to get the wheels on and off easily so I can stand the cabs on the floor once at the gig but still use them to move the beasts before and after.

I can't find plug-in castors that are big enough (the blue-wheel versions I use now are good even on rough surfaces) and I'd prefer not to drill big holes in the base of the cabs anyway. At present the wheelboards are secured via the holes that originally held the screws for the big rubber feet so they can be returned to original spec if necessary.

Any ideas very welcome!

Wiggybass

Excellent!

I've done that with the 410 and it almost works too well, done it a couple of times on sloping stages where I couldn't leave the cab on its wheels and almost knocked the drummist off stage.

It's a possibility but the other cab is a tall 2 x 12 and it's main advantage is that it puts out a huge racket in a very small footprint, but on its side it would be huge (missus). There's no question that ground proximity has a massive effect on effective frequency response below a certain point and even the size of the footprint makes a difference - my 410 on its side sounds completely different to the same cab on its wheels or even upside down. I also have a Berg' 1 x 12 which I use for small gigs and it's pretty good on its wheels but on its side it'll keep up with our drummer no problem. It's definitely a thing, though it does also depend on what the cab is sitting on.

I can only offer the evidence of ears and those of my band mates - with a flat side of any of the cabs on the deck there is s***loads more bass, on the wheels there is far less, with the same amp settings. I don't know the physics well enough to argue it but it's real...

Anyway, still looking for a solution! The cabs all have covers so a side-mounted 'board isn't really a runner though I haven't ruled it out yet. I have a horrible feeling it's going to wind up being a sack barrow...

There's nothing difficult about acoustic coupling. when the sound bounces off the floor it gets to your ears a fraction of a second later then the sound from the speaker because it's a longer journey. The further from the floor the greater the delay. If the speaker is close to the floor then the difference is very small compared to the wavelength and it doubles the sound you hear. As the frequency increases the wavelength gets smaller so there's a frequency where you get cancellation and there is a suckout instead of reinforcement. The frequency of this first suckout depends only upon the distance from the floor.

There's another sort of coupling which is about anchoring the speaker to the floor. Playing loud on a wooden floor sometimes makes the floor resonate and a bit of decoupling is quite useful. On a soft floor the speaker will move around as you sometimes notice when your pint hits the floor or the speaker starts moving across the stage on it's castors. It is useful sometimes to be able to put the speaker flat on the stage.

The solution is to simply make up a trolley with your castors using a board the size of your biggest speaker. On good surfaces you can simply push it on the trolley, if it's an uneven surface you can simply strap the speaker to the trolley and unstrap it at the other end if you wish. Or buy one of the ones that are designed for moving furniture. Having said that I use a folding sack truck.

Edited by Phil Starr

It's possible to get Quick Release Castor Plates - could be a viable solution..? ;)
[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_hall_38090_castor_plate.htm"]https://www.thomann.de/gb/adam_hall_38090_castor_plate.htm[/url]

Personally, I just use a sack trolley for moving both mine and the guitarists gear...

• 2 weeks later...

Right, here's how I did it, maybe someone else might find this useful:

* Having measured up the cab I got the nice man at my local DIY store to cut me several 60mm wide stripes of 18mm ply for the skids, cut them to length and chamfered the edges with a router. They are mounted to the base of the cab using the bolts that originally held the big rubber feet in place

* On the cabinet side of the skids I mounted a countersunk M8 T-nut then drilled holes in the wheelboard to line up with them

* I then mounted bars on the wheelboard so they locate against the inner sides of the skids, just to take the pressure off the bolts a bit

* I bought a number of 30mm wing bolts from Amazon and these locate into the T-nuts on the skids through the holes in the wheelboard

...eh voila! A proper wheelboard that is very securely fixed to the cab but can be taken off in seconds, plus the cab isn't permanently modified in any way.

Wiggybass

PS - The velcro straps are sewn to the cover and hold it on while in transit...

IMG_1515.JPG

IMG_1516.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

Edited by Wiggybass