Why become a member? ×

PMT opening in central London.

dave_bass5

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1509448551' post='3398940']
PMT, PMS whatever you call it, is an acknowledged medical condition that only affects women, and can reveal itself as mood swings.
I don't see any problem with making a comment based on the shop having the same initials.

I don't object to people calling other people a 'dickhead' just because only men have dicks.
[/quote]

At the risk of re-igniting things, may I suggest you re-read the comment on #17? Whilst the PMT thing reeks of stereotyping by smirky boys( actually do all women have mood swings?), 'the blood will be spilt' comment is an example of a man putting a negative spin on something that is out of the woman's control, yet essential to us all. I just don't feel cos woman have periods it should be used against them in cheap [s]jokes[/s] comments......

All it does IMHO is reinforce that this is a Boys Club and we that should be a lot more inclusive than we currently are.

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1509484759' post='3399386']
At the risk of re-igniting things, may I suggest you re-read the comment on #17? Whilst the PMT thing reeks of stereotyping by smirky boys( actually do all women have mood swings?), 'the blood will be spilt' comment is an example of a man putting a negative spin on something that is out of the woman's control, yet essential to us all. I just don't feel cos woman have periods it should be used against them in cheap [s]jokes[/s] comments......

All it does IMHO is reinforce that this is a Boys Club and we that should be a lot more inclusive than we currently are.
[/quote]

Well yes that one is less tasteful, but surely it's still just a tie up between the initials and a fairly common expression. Personally I don't see that as making fun of women, or making a joke at their expense.

Does this mean we can't make 'Erection' jokes anymore?

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1509495198' post='3399488']
Well yes that one is less tasteful, but surely it's still just a tie up between the initials and a fairly common expression. Personally I don't see that as making fun of women, or making a joke at their expense.

Does this mean we can't make 'Erection' jokes anymore?
[/quote]

I presume you're being ironic...but if you really want to post 'erection jokes'( and I'm struggling to find a link between bass playing and erections), maybe in Off Topic and in the Bad Jokes lounge?

Here's a thing: in my nearest small town is a very good co-ed school called 'Sexeys'. Everyone in the area says 'I work at Sexeys', 'I'm off to Sexeys' or 'I live near Sexeys'. No-one makes smirky references to girls ( or boys ) being 'Sexy'. Maybe we could do the same with PMT, after all it's just a set of initials.....

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1509528679' post='3399593']
...we could do the same with PMT, after all it's just a set of initials.....
[/quote]
Indeed. Having visited the website numerous times and two of their branches, I never saw the connection until posted here. I guess it is time for my pearly milk tea break. [url="https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMT"]ClicketyClick[/url]

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1508855018' post='3394886']
Is this really the first PMT in London? Maybe I read the OP wrong, but if it is then that's one of the more surprising facts I've learned recently.
[/quote]

There was the Romford branch that was relabelled as PMT East London, as it just fell within the London boundary. :lol: Since the decision to open the PMT London store, East London has gone back to being PMT Romford!!! If you're not confused, I am, and I work for them..... :yarr:

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1509525459' post='3399565']
I agree with Yorks5stringer, there's so much casual sexism on this forum and people refusing to believe they're being offensive even when told to their faces. You'll be telling us that the prisoners have taken over the jail next.
[/quote]

Fortunately in this world people are still allowed to make their own judgments and have their own opinions, even if people are trying to tell them something different 'to their face'. (otherwise we'd all vote for what the last person told us to)

If I or someone else said 'Get over it' to your face I wouldn't expect you to instantly change your opinion.

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1509528679' post='3399593']
I presume you're being ironic...but if you really want to post 'erection jokes'( and I'm struggling to find a link between bass playing and erections), maybe in Off Topic and in the Bad Jokes lounge?
[/quote]

My point was that an erection is a condition that only affects men. Therefore if we cannot make PMT related comments we should not be able to erection based comments either.

There is a difference between a sexist joke/comment and one based on sex/gender.

PS: I understand that PMT have opened their new store inside and erection in London (OK not funny, but hopefully you get my point))

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1509541755' post='3399745']
My point was that [b]an erection is a condition that only affects men.[/b] Therefore if we cannot make PMT related comments we should not be able to erection based comments either.

There is a difference between a sexist joke/comment and one based on sex/gender.

PS: I understand that PMT have opened their new store inside and erection in London (OK not funny, but hopefully you get my point))
[/quote]

Don't think you are quite up to speed on that one:fancy men thinking they are the only ones who have erections? Who'd have thought it?

Having said that, maybe getting back on to topic would be a good thing ;) ?

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1509543675' post='3399773']
Wtaf are you lot on about, it's like netmums in here! :)
[/quote]
Everyday's a school day!

(When I say 'school day' I'm not assuming that getting the kids to school is the role of a woman,even though that often tends to be the case..)

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='yorks5stringer' timestamp='1509542448' post='3399750']
Don't think you are quite up to speed on that one:fancy men thinking they are the only ones who have erections? Who'd have thought it?

Having said that, maybe getting back on to topic would be a good thing ;) ?
[/quote]

OK then: Penile Erections. (But you knew I meant that didn't you). ;)

Edited by Count Bassy

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1509438865' post='3398821']
Agree with Yorks in principle. In practice, you have no idea how effing boring, rather than purely offensive, menstruation jokes/puns are to women, no matter who they are told by (and that includes other women).
[/quote]

In fairness S, they're quite boring for a lot of men too. Schoolboys however regard them as sophisticated humour.

I want to know why the shop known as PMT seems to be popular. What's the draw?

Trying to desperately drag this back on-topic...
I popped in there earlier today. Very little to see if you’re a bass player - the usual few Musicmans, bunch of Ibanez and a bunch of Fenders. Won’t be visiting again - I appreciate the store is brand new but there’s more to see almost anywhere else, plus it was full of tourists!

[quote name='FDC484950' timestamp='1509629535' post='3400423']
Trying to desperately drag this back on-topic...
I popped in there earlier today. Very little to see if you're a bass player - the usual few Musicmans, bunch of Ibanez and a bunch of Fenders. Won't be visiting again - I appreciate the store is brand new but there's more to see almost anywhere else, plus it was full of tourists!
[/quote]

I don't pretend to know the figures, but with those 3 brands they've probably got over 50% of the market covered (though suprised no yamaha in there).

True, but there wasn’t much of a range even within those. Plus anyone wanting to buy the most popular brands can buy anywhere and online, so no real differentiation. Wunjo in Denmark St has all the big brands but a decent selection of others too (but then again they are a bass shop). Maybe they’ll build some stock over time. Guitar Guitar opened in Camden a while back and the two stores look very similar on the surface.

What I wasn’t impressed with was that the basses are in the back wall and if you want to try one you end up standing/sitting on the small cut-through between the electric and acoustic guitars, and have to keep moving every time someone wants to go from one bit to another. Having music blaring its guts out may amuse the staff but unless you fancy jamming along it isn’t very helpful to get to know a potential purchase!

[quote name='Count Bassy' timestamp='1509630355' post='3400430']
I don't pretend to know the figures, but with those 3 brands they've probably got over 50% of the market covered (though suprised no yamaha in there).
[/quote]
Very few of the London stores have any stocks of Yamaha - it's much easier to go to Yamaha Music London in Wardour St, they have virtually everything in stock there, even a BBNE2.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Working in Clerkenwell today so I popped in for a mooch. Nice friendly greeting. Disappointingly compact bass section compared to the acoustic section but what they did have looked good, in particular two tasty roadworn Precisions. In fact most of the range was Fender, with a couple of Sandbergs and a bunch of SUB Stingrays, amongst others. 

Edited by BrunoBass

Not sure why, but in my advancing years for quite a while now I’ve been a bit self conscious about going into music/guitar shops. But I’ve bought a Stagg stick, keyboard amp and sundry bits and pieces from PMT Oxford. Ive always been met with full attention and courtesy directed towards an old guy.. Hope they succeed in London and you boys and girls buy lots of stuff from them.

• Like 1