Why become a member? ×

Join My Band

The59Sound

I don`t think that you can blame the sites. I have joined a couple of bands through them. The problem is most people who advertise on them are either dreamers, bedroom musicians or just time wasters.

The good thing about JMB is if you look in the profile section under the advert, sometimes you can spot the serial advertisers who haven`t deleted their old messages and give them the old Merv the swerve.

As long as you can put up with the nutters, these sites are perfect for us weekend warriors without a network or the professional contacts.

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1508912327' post='3395227']
I've found that its essential to be very detailed in your post on what you are and aren't looking for.

A lot of posters on jmb barely write a sentence.

When I formed my current band; my post covered the genres we'd be playing, where, when and how often we'd be rehearsing, average number of gigs per month, no divas need apply, experience level, the rule that songs are to be learned at home, so that we are all ready to play them at rehearsals - to name but a few things.

The band has come together well and, touch wood; heading into our 2nd year with some great gig bookings.
[/quote]

Nice! I hope the band continues to move forward.

No divas, do divas know they're divas?

Blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1508961969' post='3395706']

As long as you can put up with the nutters, these sites are perfect for us weekend warriors without a network or the professional contacts.[/quote]

Depends, in my area we have Milwaukee Rocks, not even of value to the weekend warrior.

Blue

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1508923558' post='3395318']

when we were looking for a drummer earlier this year, we thought we found one. Could talk the talk, lived fairly close and was available. He had some demo stuff up which sounded good as well. Reading further down he stated that because he has been out of playing live for a while he only owns cymbals and sticks, but (and this is the killer) would [b]consider[/b] buying a full kit if any gigs came along.[b] Consider?????[/b]

You cant blame the website for that, although maybe the parents.
[/quote]

Wow! Not surprising.

When we were looking for a drummer I didn't want to audition anyone without a lot of recent 4 hour bar band experience.I was also concerned about young guys with young children.

For some the idea of being in a working band is appealing until your faced with a 3 gig weekend.

Blue

[quote name='jezzaboy' timestamp='1508961969' post='3395706']
I don`t think that you can blame the sites. I have joined a couple of bands through them. The problem is most people who advertise on them are either dreamers, bedroom musicians or just time wasters.

The good thing about JMB is if you look in the profile section under the advert, sometimes you can spot the serial advertisers who haven`t deleted their old messages and give them the old Merv the swerve.

As long as you can put up with the nutters, these sites are perfect for us weekend warriors without a network or the professional contacts.
[/quote]

I have read that twice. I am not sure you are being fair on subscribers to JMB.

Dreamers - Where would music be without dreamers?

Bedroom Musicians - Everyone has to start somewhere and continue to practice without being a PITA for the people who share the building with them.

Time Wasters - That is such a selfish attitude when you think of all of the times when you just wished someone would give you a chance when you were starting out.

Nutters - Every walk of life has them. I have no argument with what you said there. I am aware however that the creative gene seems to be associated with nutty behaviour.

I just joined JMB again now that I have my email issues dealt with (finally!). I need it for building up my contacts list. As I won't use social media it is the only avenue left to me really. When I am less of a Bedroom (workshop actually) Musician and more confident with my progress, I'll look at more highly-regarded sites for networking but for now JMB is quite appropriate.

Just to add my recent experience to this thread, advertised on join my band for a drummer, got a reply from a guy claiming to be an experienced drummer,spoke to him on the phone and messaged him to arrange rehearsal, all seemed ok, long story short it was a no show , no notice given at all just literally did not show up.

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1509225684' post='3397474']
Just to add my recent experience to this thread, advertised on join my band for a drummer, got a reply from a guy claiming to be an experienced drummer,spoke to him on the phone and messaged him to arrange rehearsal, all seemed ok, long story short it was a no show , no notice given at all just literally did not show up.
[/quote]

Not unusual Mark.

There are guys out there that simply like responding to ads with no intention on actually following through.

Blue

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1509225684' post='3397474']
[/quote]

Again, that's not the fault of the website. If there was such a thing as an "Unreliable" filter then that would be great, but there isn't. I would venture that if a site has lots of musicians using it, for whatever reason, then its doing its job of networking. Its up to the users to filter out the time wasters.

[quote name='mikel' timestamp='1509295465' post='3397865']

Again, that's not the fault of the website. If there was such a thing as an "Unreliable" filter then that would be great, but there isn't. I would venture that if a site has lots of musicians using it, for whatever reason, then its doing its job of networking. Its up to the users to filter out the time wasters.
[/quote] Absolutely, the website is not at fault, its the tìme wasters that do this kind of thing that are at fault