Why become a member? ×

Join My Band

The59Sound

I tend to look at Bandmix first and regularly see the same bands advert on JMB or even Gumtree.
To me that shows they are taking it a little more seriously.
Bandmix has a fee if you want to contact someone tho.
Beware the auto renewal function that is ticked automatically. I recently paid the monthly charge to contact a band i was interested in and the following month they deducted another monthly fee. When i queried it they said it was auto renewal and i needed to go to my settings to un-tick the box. To be fair they refunded the charge.

Think you just have to keep at it with any site to get the band you are looking for. I've had same lack of response from all the sites over the years. If anyone contacts me i always reply even if its to say i'm now with a band or i don't have the time available to help.
A little courtesy and common decency goes a long way in my book but i'm afraid it's not the norm on any of the sites.

Keep at it and eventually someone will either get in touch with you or you'll find the right band.

Dave

Unfortunately the internet has made it far to easy for time wasters to waste your time. It might be worth exploring the traditional avenues of printed ads in musical instrument and record shops, at least you are more likely to attract people who actual want to be in a band rather than those that just think they do.

There will always be dreamers, it comes with the territory.
Joined my current band from an ad on JMB so it does work. Gumtree has a section, look for Music Bands & Musicians in the Community section. I've also used Bandmix and got an audition out of it - turned out not to be the band for me but it was a genuine ad. Then there's facebook groups where you often see posts for band members wanted. Postcards in local music/record shops is well worth a try imo.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1508834138' post='3394646']
Don't think it's the fault of that particular site, more that there are an awful lot of delusional dreamers, who think they want to be in a band.
[/quote]

This. Cant blame the site for the shortcomings of the posters. I have used it to find musicians and managed to weed out the time wasters with a few well placed questions.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1508839928' post='3394718']
If you're good enough to be noticed, get networking. That's the only way.
[/quote]

I think you need a bit of both networking and ads. The fact that I was known form my previous bands and therefore people know that I was serious about my music helped, but I wouldn't have joined either of my current bands if it hadn't been for placing and answering ads, because I wouldn't have known that the bands in question were looking for a bassist and they wouldn't have known that I was looking for a band.

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1508833418' post='3394640']
I have given up on JMB - messages never lead anywhere, auditions are always below par and most the people on there have no idea how a band works! Is there a similar site where you can actually meet good musicians?
[/quote]

Can't speak for JMB, however most realistic opportunities are never advertised to the general public.

Blue

It's a shame there aren't better sites. Bandmix would be stupidly expensive if you simply let your payments keep on running. The mailing alerts function very poorly, I set up the criteria to only include local musicians and it included people over 100 miles away at times. the searching is crazy and some people come up multiple times when you search, all in all I'm unlikely to subscribe if so much of the software is so full of glitches. Join My Band probably suffers by being so simple and free. Any dreamer can put up details at no effort and so there is a lot of chaff amongst the wheat. Nonetheless if you read the ads carefully or put some effort into wording your own ads carefully it is possible to find people.

Lemonrock is great for finding musicians/bands as nearly everyone on there is paying a sub to promote their band or their gigs. The only problem is that it is geographically patchy, Great for the West Country and some of the home counties but not much activity in large swathes of the country.

The big problem though is musicians, I can't understand quite why they are so disorganised in the main.

I haven't been in a band that has advertised for a member since I joined through a Melody Maker ad in 1985.

This is the difference between the fun bands and the guys who are more serious. Every band I've been in already had a short list when a vacancy cropped up.

Blue is right. The jobs worth having are usually by invitation only.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1508881810' post='3395182']

Blue is right. The jobs worth having are usually by invitation only.
[/quote]

Yeah, in my area any opportunities where your going to be making good money have guys waiting in the wings.

I really think for guys looking for money, you really should be scouting working bands you like even if the band isn't looking at that particular time and introduce yourself and network. That's how I got into my band 6 years ago.

On the flip side, if your not looking for money it should be a little easier to find some people that are at least committed and serious about their "for fun" project.

Blue

I've found that its essential to be very detailed in your post on what you are and aren't looking for.

A lot of posters on jmb barely write a sentence.

When I formed my current band; my post covered the genres we'd be playing, where, when and how often we'd be rehearsing, average number of gigs per month, no divas need apply, experience level, the rule that songs are to be learned at home, so that we are all ready to play them at rehearsals - to name but a few things.

The band has come together well and, touch wood; heading into our 2nd year with some great gig bookings.

[quote name='The59Sound' timestamp='1508833418' post='3394640'] Is there a similar site where you can actually meet good musicians?
[/quote]
Given your username, I'd join your band :D I take it you're a fan of Gaslight Anthem? Good luck finding / forming something, I know from experience it can be tough to find folks with similar tastes and goals! Too many twerps out there thinking they're the next big thing.

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1508834138' post='3394646']
Don't think it's the fault of that particular site, more that there are an awful lot of delusional dreamers, who think they want to be in a band.
[/quote]

when we were looking for a drummer earlier this year, we thought we found one. Could talk the talk, lived fairly close and was available. He had some demo stuff up which sounded good as well. Reading further down he stated that because he has been out of playing live for a while he only owns cymbals and sticks, but (and this is the killer) would [b]consider[/b] buying a full kit if any gigs came along.[b] Consider?????[/b]

You cant blame the website for that, although maybe the parents.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1508923558' post='3395318']
when we were looking for a drummer earlier this year, we thought we found one. Could talk the talk, lived fairly close and was available. He had some demo stuff up which sounded good as well. Reading further down he stated that because he has been out of playing live for a while he only owns cymbals and sticks, but (and this is the killer) would [b]consider[/b] buying a full kit if any gigs came along.[b] Consider?????[/b]

You cant blame the website for that, although maybe the parents.
[/quote]

:lol: Got to love drummers.

[quote name='Krysbass' timestamp='1508912327' post='3395227']
I've found that its essential to be very detailed in your post on what you are and aren't looking for.

A lot of posters on jmb barely write a sentence.

When I formed my current band; my post covered the genres we'd be playing, where, when and how often we'd be rehearsing, average number of gigs per month, no divas need apply, experience level, the rule that songs are to be learned at home, so that we are all ready to play them at rehearsals - to name but a few things.

The band has come together well and, touch wood; heading into our 2nd year with some great gig bookings.
[/quote]

Think that's a good point. If more info is supplied upfront without being overkill then it saves having to get in touch and going thru the motions to find out that half the band only want to rehearse or just play 2 gigs a year and only for charity. If its stated up front the guys that are looking to make money won't bother.
I have found that most function bands adverts i've looked at do give a fair bit of detail. Maybe that's because they are already organised and know exactly what is required. ?

Dave