Why become a member? ×

Recreating the Trace Elliot SMX signal path

funkydoug

I'm in love with the sound of my Trace SMX12 amp. I'm also aware that it is about 25yr old.
Would it be possible to recreate the sound using modern gear??

I'm thinking you'd need; dual band comp (ashdown or EBS), tube preamp that stays clean (Eden do a pedal one I think) and a graphic/ flexible EQ pedal.
All of it quiet and lossless.

So, I suppose my question is... Is the SMX sound the sum of these parts or is there something else in there that is not on the front panel???
Cheers, Doug.

PS. Yes I could just buy a second one as a backup plan, it that would be too easy!

Edited by funkydoug

Cheers Danny,
That does look like it could ignite some GAS!
However, I'm still wondering about the SMX sound... Is this this thing faithful to that sound?? I think a few of us would agree that the SMX was a really special amp... Do any techs who have worked on them have a view of them based on their experience??
Quite likely to get the Transit B thing anyway though as it ticks a lot of boxes.
Cheers, I think ;)

Hiya Mick,
So do you mean that the SMX sound can't be remade by assembling pedals chosen for the job? Not the news I was hoping for, ha!

I wonder whether the power stage is the bit that is hard to recreate??

In the meantime I've got hold of an SMX compression pedal so the first part of the jigsaw is there...
Cheers, Doug

• 3 weeks later...

Returning to this question ...

I am now thinking that the magic that I love in the SMX is mainly the combination of the valve preamp, the 'shape' button and the compression, combined with the red 30hz EQ slider (which frees up the speaker for useful business, as far as I know .. although that may be entirely imaginary!). That seems like a signal chain that can be re-created. So, from a technical is there something happening in trace amps that is 'behind the panel'? What I mean is, are there components in the amp that the user can't see or interact with that create the tone??? Maybe the cabs are particularly well matched??

For what its worth, I did a recording session recently with my SMX combo and it just sounded amazing. No effort to get an instantly awesome sound! What wasn't awesome was getting it up 4 flights of stairs to the live room!

Cheers, Doug.

I never used the pre-shape on mine, it is the suck mode knob.
Instead I use the 12band  to cut 30hz and boost 40-200hz around 4db, also boost trebs a tiny bit for more crisp. Otherwise EQ is flat.

The SMX dualband comp sounds WAY better then that dualband Ashdown budget piece of **** I threw away,
Tube warmth can be created with either pigtronix or ehx (black finger) pedals, also find a used market SMX compressor pedal and you're there.

But again, I find the pre-shape circuit is AWFULL and very eighties sounding. Don't need or want that.

Alas my RAH600SMX has died, I am now using the Hexa Valve exclusively, with a Cali76cb compressor pedal.
I think it sounds even better now then the SMX did back when I used it. Trace sound but more responsive and warm.

• Thanks 1

Just a quick note to say that not all TE SMX compressor pedals sound the same.

I had two at one point and noticed a difference. Looking inside the PCB issue number was different.

I haven't found anything documented on it - might just be a level difference...or something.

One definitely sounded 'better' somehow so obvs I kept that one.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the input guys. 

Feel almost shameful in saying I like the pre-shape!! 

Yeah the dual band comp is definitely part of it, and sounds like that was inconsistent... making it even harder to replicate. I think FEA make a pedal or two that are kind of re-boots of the SMX comp, but they aren't cheap!

Also glad to hear you also cut the red slider DiMarco. 

The quest continues, just  preparing for the inevitable :(

I love the old heads and combos - they produce the tones I want and do everything that I want them to, except maybe carrying themselves up and down stairs.

The endorsees list from the 80s and 90s reads like a who's who of the greatest players from that era...Trace Elliot must have been doing something right. I'm sure the original tones can be replicated but it would certainly cost more than the price of a second hand rig.

• Thanks 1