Why become a member? ×

Introducing kid to db - teachers in Edinburgh?

fatback

Hi all,

A friend of mine's ten year old grandson was visiting lately and was besotted with my bass. He's quite small for his age, so I can;t guess what size bass he might need. Anyone know a teacher near Edinburgh who might be able to give an introductory lesson and work out what size bass would be right?

He's a great kid with a very good ear.

Thanks for any suggestions.

• 1 month later...

Don’t give up on the idea of a smaller bass. I bought my kids - 8 and 5 - a Thomann 22 double bass, the same model that I have a 3/4 size of, and its truly excellent. My 8 year old is average height for his age and he’s having no problem holding down notes in first position or working his way up a D Major scale in third position.

It has an awesome tone considering it’s size. Of course not as rich as the big one but in no way lacking for learning. My eldest plays this bass in the junior orchestra I teach and it sits well beside the 1/4 size basses there.

The action was a fair bit high but that’s was easily remedied with a few files and some patience. The soundpost is semi-permanently installed so there’s little risk of it falling down while you work at the bridge.