Why become a member? ×

In praise of the Fender American Elite Precision Bass

LewisK1975

Did some recording for my band's new album over the weekend, took 4 Basses with me, my '78 precision, '75 Jazz, Yamaha Attitude LTD3 and my Fender American Elite Precision (pic below)

[attachment=256057:AM Elite PBass.jpg]

Thought it best to have a 'pure' Jazz and Precision at hand, and then have the modern Basses as alternatives, should the need arise.

We tried them all, and ended up using the Elite Precision for everything we did.

The engineer loved it, described it as a great recording Bass. The only change necessary for different sounds / feels we wanted involved moving the pickup blend to various points between the P and J. Active always on with a little push on the mids, rolled off a little treble when the blend was fully on the P pickup.

We put it through a valve pre and recorded it direct. Great punchy loveliness whatever we did.

Don't get me wrong, I know that it obviously made the engineer's job easier to only be using the one Bass, but I'm strong minded enough to have insisted on using something else if I felt it was necessary, but I felt exactly the same as him, it just wasn't..

A Fun and rewarding weekend (if somewhat tiring), it's not every day (for me anyway) that I get to play and be surrounded by 'Bassness' for that long!

I would echo your experiences - I often favour my Precision Deluxe for tracking (predecessor to the Elite; same electronics AFAIK but without the flattening neck profile and MM-style truss rod).

Covers a lot of ground between the P and J, and that's in passive mode only. I have a sneaky feeling that the 3 band preamp is voiced a little bit like a Musicman preamp 3 band... at any case, it can also do a passable Stingray imitation via the treble / bass boosts if you pan more towards the bridge pickup.

Glad recording went well!

[quote name='roman_sub' timestamp='1509104020' post='3396638']
I would echo your experiences - I often favour my Precision Deluxe for tracking (predecessor to the Elite; same electronics AFAIK but without the flattening neck profile and MM-style truss rod).

Covers a lot of ground between the P and J, and that's in passive mode only. I have a sneaky feeling that the 3 band preamp is voiced a little bit like a Musicman preamp 3 band... at any case, it can also do a passable Stingray imitation via the treble / bass boosts if you pan more towards the bridge pickup.

Glad recording went well!
[/quote]

Cheers!