Why become a member? ×

JV Precision original-like replacement pickups?

JPB57

Hi all,
I have a JV Squier that has has had its pickups replaced sometime.
So my question is, if I want to restore the bass sound as close to the original spec.
as possible, which pickups would be the best choice? It really is a jungle of different
options out there!

Welcome!

If your JV is a '57 as your name suggests, of course you'd be looking for a pickup with raised A string polepieces (whether these help or hinder string balance is another question!) As far as I know, your options are limited to a secondhand one taken from a real JV, or from a Fender US Vintage Reissue.. don't think they've ever been available separately. Otherwise, you could order a really nice custom pickup with the correct specs... plastic covered wire, raised polepieces, etc. Maybe try Mojo Pickups or Oil City?

[quote name='KK Jale' timestamp='1508677593' post='3393684']
Welcome!

If your JV is a '57 as your name suggests, of course you'd be looking for a pickup with raised A string polepieces (whether these help or hinder string balance is another question!) As far as I know, your options are limited to a secondhand one taken from a real JV, or from a Fender US Vintage Reissue.. don't think they've ever been available separately. Otherwise, you could order a really nice custom pickup with the correct specs... plastic covered wire, raised polepieces, etc. Maybe try Mojo Pickups or Oil City?
[/quote]

Thank you, and many thanks for your answer! Yes, it’s a ‘57 reissue:) I see, finding an original JV pickup is probably impossible. A custom pickup could be an option, however I would prefer to find something “off the shelf”. It mustn’t be exactly as original but as close as possible. I have looked at the fender 62 custom shop pickups, would they be an option maybe?

Edited by JPB57

I’ve tried lots of Precision replacement pickups and these are my favourite. If you want a true vintage Precision sound... Here it is.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0jbAfzQiYNpNcLbvOUVFG_3gZqLPpWnFVC1rSWfsYVgAoqISMUXY8waAmFtEALw_wcB

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1508691461' post='3393831']
I've tried lots of Precision replacement pickups and these are my favourite. If you want a true vintage Precision sound... Here it is.

[url="https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0jbAfzQiYNpNcLbvOUVFG_3gZqLPpWnFVC1rSWfsYVgAoqISMUXY8waAmFtEALw_wcB"]https://www.bax-shop...8waAmFtEALw_wcB[/url]
[/quote]

With the demise of Wizard Trad, these Fender Originals were my favourites also for vintage type tone, with the caveat that I haven't tried the '62 Custom Shop one. But certainly the Fender Original is close to the tone of the JVs I have. Maybe a little smoother.

Edited by Paul S

Thanks all of you for your excellent answers!! Seems like it’s agreed on the fender original vintage precision pu:s, so I think I will have a go at them. Both of the ones linked in the quotes below are the vintage ones right?

[quote name='eddiehoffmann' timestamp='1508691461' post='3393831']
I’ve tried lots of Precision replacement pickups and these are my favourite. If you want a true vintage Precision sound... Here it is.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/bass-pickups/fender-precision-bass-original-vintage-design-pickups?gclid=Cj0KCQjwg7HPBRDUARIsAMeR_0jbAfzQiYNpNcLbvOUVFG_3gZqLPpWnFVC1rSWfsYVgAoqISMUXY8waAmFtEALw_wcB
[/quote]
[quote name='matski' timestamp='1508775350' post='3394332']
If you're looking for the original 'grumpy' Precision sound, how about these?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_vintage_pbass_pickup.htm
[/quote]

Edited by JPB57

[quote name='JPB57' timestamp='1508787312' post='3394457']
Thanks all of you for your excellent answers!! Seems like it's agreed on the fender original vintage precision pu:s, so I think I will have a go at them. Both of the ones linked in the quotes below are the vintage ones right?
[/quote]

Yep, those are the ones. Confusingly listed as Original, Vintage, Original Vintage, or Vintage Original, depending on which site you look on. They have that "woody" tone that earlier Precisions seemed to have, before outputs were upped. Great pickup for a vintage sounding bass.