Why become a member? ×

Microphone Stand

Hobbayne

I think it depends how they get treated. I keep mine in a gig bag but last night we had a guest from the audience get up to play harmonica - he pulled the mic off the stand and I noticed afterwards the clips had sprung, flying across the stage, No great drama but that wouldn't have happened if I was the only one using it. I think I paid less than £20 for mine and I've been using it regularly for over a year with no issues.

Think cheap stands are generally better these days than they used to be, although the industry
standard brands like Beyer and K&M are still worth the extra IMO. I've had my K&M stand for
over 10 years now I reckon. Also worth mentioning that the mic stand clip is often the first thing
to go, so try to avoid the hard plastic ones which break/shatter fairly easily.
These seem the best for the job - being a softer rubbery material they grip the mic well and mine has survived a lot of use.

https://www.studiospares.com/Accessories/Mic-Holders/KM-85055-Mic-Clip-28mm_438630.htm?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIht35-tuC1wIV8xbTCh2StwosEAQYAiABEgJ9NPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1508697724' post='3393889']
Mine's 20 years old , no idea what make. My mc stand tip would be buy a straight stand and fit a gooseneck. Most boom stands I'm forced to use from time to time spin round taking the mic away from you. My gooseneck stays put.
[/quote]

I’ve always wondered why goosenecks aren’t more popular? They really do solve a multitude of problems.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1508612743' post='3393379']
I got one in a package with a mike and cable from gear4music which was their own branded one, I only doing backing vocals so was happy to have a cheap one but I am very impressed with the quality and can't see any reason why it won't last years.
[/quote]

I've also got a Gear4Music boom stand. I've used it every week for over two years, and it still works exactly the same as when it was brand new. (I haven't used it for demolition work, or to repel stage invaders though). ;)

[quote name='acidbass' timestamp='1508791692' post='3394510']
K&M here. They do one with a telescopic mini boom arm, great for tight spaces.
[/quote]

This is what I bought. I looked at which stands two rehearsal studios I go to used which were in good nick. It surprised me to see a couple of Hercules stands had broken, the K&M werefine. Most others I could detect a name on were awful.