Why become a member? ×

What counts as a gig?

arthurhenry

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1508677617' post='3393685']
My understanding is that on receiving payment the Jewish musician would silently intone ' God is good', spelling gig. And although it's mainly used for musical work the term applies to a freelancer in any field.
[/quote]

Yes, I have heard that version. There is also reference to it in this link below (in the comments). There are also a couple of other interesting theories, that kinda of follow on.

http://www.word-detective.com/2009/02/gig/

[quote name='hiram.k.hackenbacker' timestamp='1508678521' post='3393691']
What does irk me somewhat, is the overuse of the term 'gig' by some of the these DJ types on that there radiogram.
They say they have a 'gig', when in fact all they're doing is 'appearing in person' whilst an anonymous individual hits play on some tunes from the current hit parade.
Not my idea of the term 'gig', whatever definition Samuel Johnson et al may apply to it.
[/quote]

I know stand up comedians use term gig these days too.

I guess I have always included any live performance I have done as a gig so I lean towards the majority view expressed thus far. I also agree that it doesn't really matter. The gold star is obviously getting paid to play to an audience but jams in front of friends or open mic are all great fun / experience.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1508686616' post='3393789']
The term has been co-opted by many others but to me [i]a gig[/i] is a performance to an audience.
[/quote]

That's how I understand it too. It could be playing solo, with an ensemble or in a theatre pit, it's still a performance though.

Same I guess with as mentioned for a DJ.

If I was going to play a booked function , I'd say my wife "I've got a gig on Saturday"

If I was playing at a mates party or a charity do , I would say "I'm playing mikes party or doing the fundraiser for X"

No real reason but it suggests I think a gig is a service I am booked for and a favour or fun session is not a gig

It doesn't really matter and if someone wants to call a band playing in thieir own garden a gig , then maybe it is, who cares ?

Edited by lojo