Why become a member? ×

Modern-ish P-Bass £400-£800

thegummy

Already having a 50s P with flatwounds and it's absolutely fantastic but very much vintage based.

If I wanted to get a second P to string with rounds and possibly a more modern pickup, I can see a few choices:

[b]Squier Classic Vibe 70s[/b] - looks nice but I fear Squiers can be a bit internet-hyped and, while amazing for the money, don't actually rival guitars twice the price. For example, I looked for a second hand one and the honest seller admitted that one side of the neck has more of a bow than the other - something I'd wonder it might be more prone to because of the cost-cutting.

[b]MiM Standard [/b]- comes in a choice of colours and could choose Rosewood fingerboard if I wanted. I could replace the pickup.

[b]Roger Waters [/b]- this one looks very nice stock (and Waters is my man) with the black hardware and already comes with the pickup I'd choose for this bass. It's still more expensive than the Standard and the pickup together but it might be the case that the build quality is better on this as it's a higher end one from that factory.

Any thoughts on those 3 or further suggestions?

I had a look at the Schecter Diamond P and was initially loving it but then I read people who own them saying they don't actually sound like a P bass.

If going up to £800 you`re in the range of a 2nd hand US Standard. Worth considering as imo the best of the bunch.

Out of those listed, well I`ve had a good few of the MIMs, and for me the post 2012 ones really are a step up. I`ve currently got one as a backup and it really is a good bass indeed.

The RW Sig is nice, wide neck but very playable, and you get the added bonus of having a Mexican Wall before Donald Trump gets his! There`s one on evilbay at present for about £600, providing seller confirms truss-rod ok/neck not bowed def worth a look.

SQ Classic Vibe 70s - currently got one and it`s a decent enough bass. I bought it as a backup but due to OCD it being white/rosewood didn`t fit in with the rest of my black/maple basses. I`ll offload at some point, but to be honest I wouldn`t have it as a main instrument. Nothing wrong with it, just that being basswood it`s a lot lighter than what I prefer - I like basses around the 9lb area, and the SQ is a fair bit lighter than that.

[quote name='Cato' timestamp='1508601341' post='3393243']
Take a punt on one of the new Sire P7s?

Available in an astonishing number of finishes from Thomman.

[url="https://www.thomann.de/gb/search_dir.html?sw=Sire+p7"]https://www.thomann....html?sw=Sire+p7[/url]
[/quote]

Cheers for the heads up, never heard of this series. Do you know if the P pickup is in the same place as on a real P?

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508601575' post='3393246']
SQ Classic Vibe 70s - currently got one and it`s a decent enough bass. I bought it as a backup but due to OCD it being white/rosewood didn`t fit in with the rest of my black/maple basses. I`ll offload at some point, but to be honest I wouldn`t have it as a main instrument. Nothing wrong with it, just that being basswood it`s a lot lighter than what I prefer - I like basses around the 9lb area, and the SQ is a fair bit lighter than that.
[/quote]

Appreciate the honest realistic writeup - I've always had the feeling that some people buy into the hype and, especially once they've paid for one, want to rave about the CV series as if they're as good as American Fenders.

I didn't really think about a second hand American, will have a look and see what's available. Do you think they'd be significantly better than the Waters? I've got an American Standard guitar and it's excellent but, then again, so is the Mexican made 50s Precision! (also, nice Trump comment :P)

I'd consider a G&L SB-2 - very much a modern/aggressive P (with bonus J), a bit different from what you have.
A few places have been selling off their Yamaha BB1024s cheap since they were discontinued - that's a lot of bass for the money.
A used Ibanez Blazer or Peavey Fury too. Excellent woods and workmanship and a good platform to drop a modern pickup into. My Blazer sounds killer with rounds.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508602233' post='3393257']

Cheers for the heads up, never heard of this series. Do you know if the P pickup is in the same place as on a real P?
[/quote]

They've only just been released.

I'm seriously thinking about getting a P7 fretless in December/January, so I'll be able to let you know then.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508602233' post='3393257']
I didn't really think about a second hand American, will have a look and see what's available. Do you think they'd be significantly better than the Waters? I've got an American Standard guitar and it's excellent but, then again, so is the Mexican made 50s Precision! (also, nice Trump comment :P)
[/quote]

Well imo the pricing reflects the gradient, MIM are good, MIM Classic/Artist Series better, US Standard better still. But all of this is my opinion, not necessarily fact, many will prefer a Mex Standard or a Squier Classic Vibe to a US, but to me the US Standard is king. My particular faves of these are the 1998 - 2003, and 2012 - 2016. The others that I`ve had have been good, but these eras are my faves.

I was after a modern sounding P recently and the best sounding one I found was an old 80s MIJ Fender Jazz Special PJ-555... It's actually a P bass with an extra J pickup and a Jazz neck, the pickups are very hot and also very bright sounding. Sounded very different to every other P in the shop, I just had to get it.

Then on my way home I spotted a PJ-535 in The Bass Gallery for £450 - well worth a look I reckon, similar bass but with angled pickups.

Here's some examples:

https://images.talkbass.com/attachments/ab23c7b9-26de-4115-9c23-379d093be0ab_zpsfypnvi09-png.2354544/

I have to agree with Lozz, the US standard Precisions (especially post 2012) are excellent - I have a couple and they are my most gigged basses. The Mex classic basses are pretty close, but I've not had my classic 50s P long, and only time will reveal its faults. So far, after a few days of ownership and one gig, it is my current favourite.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508602547' post='3393264']
Was looking on Reverb for used Americans - seem to be around a grand though, a bit OTT for second-hand in my opinion.

Came across this - will this give a good aggressive P tone? :lol:

[/quote]

Only if it floats your boat :lol: :lol: :lol:

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1508631296' post='3393488']
Maruszczyk Jake - €1030, and you could knock of €40 if you wanted maple instead of Ebony. Modern, light, hand built, and very cool!

Si
[/quote]

+1 they play like butter.

I'm no P bass expert, but I picked up a Sandberg Electra P recently and I really love it. I don't think it quite does the classic P bass thing but the Delano-esque pickup sounds great, really clear and expressive.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508600206' post='3393235']
Already having a 50s P with flatwounds and it's absolutely fantastic but very much vintage based.

If I wanted to get a second P to string with rounds and possibly a more modern pickup, I can see a few choices:

[b]Squier Classic Vibe 70s[/b] - looks nice but I fear Squiers can be a bit internet-hyped and, while amazing for the money, don't actually rival guitars twice the price. For example, I looked for a second hand one and the honest seller admitted that one side of the neck has more of a bow than the other - something I'd wonder it might be more prone to because of the cost-cutting.

[b]MiM Standard [/b]- comes in a choice of colours and could choose Rosewood fingerboard if I wanted. I could replace the pickup.

[b]Roger Waters [/b]- this one looks very nice stock (and Waters is my man) with the black hardware and already comes with the pickup I'd choose for this bass. It's still more expensive than the Standard and the pickup together but it might be the case that the build quality is better on this as it's a higher end one from that factory.

Any thoughts on those 3 or further suggestions?

I had a look at the Schecter Diamond P and was initially loving it but then I read people who own them saying they don't actually sound like a P bass.
[/quote]

The Roger Waters (or Matt Freeman, for a slight variation with the same built quality) would not disappoint. Great basses.
But I'd personally choose a second hand Fender Classic 50s series Precision. My fiesta red one is on my avatar (just replced the golden pickguard for an 'aged' white type one)... The neck is a bit wider than on the other Precisions, yet shallow and comfortable, and it feels and sounds just perfect. If a slightly wider neck is not a problem for you, I'd say the Classic 50s Fender would be the best choice I can think of. Comes in black, cream, red or sunburst.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1508690337' post='3393823']
But I'd personally choose a second hand Fender Classic 50s series Precision. My fiesta red one is on my avatar (just replced the golden pickguard for an 'aged' white type one)... The neck is a bit wider than on the other Precisions, yet shallow and comfortable, and it feels and sounds just perfect. If a slightly wider neck is not a problem for you, I'd say the Classic 50s Fender would be the best choice I can think of. Comes in black, cream, red or sunburst.
[/quote]

Already got one with flats and I love it :)

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1508742531' post='3394035']
What does Modern Pbass actually mean ?
[/quote]

To put round wounds on and with a pickup like a SD Quarter Pound.

Not actually sure how much that pickup differs from the pickup in the 50s - rounds are the main reason I want another P.

[quote name='thegummy' timestamp='1508600206' post='3393235']
[/quote]

Not sure about the Diamond P per se, but I've owned the remarkably similar Model T for a few years now and I'd say it's pretty damn close to a P bass. Comfortably in your price bracket too.

I guess there are two main reasons people say it sounds different:
1. the P pickup is slightly further back (though I believe that's a common feature of P/J basses)
2. the Duncan pickups are, by definition, not Fender pickups. Personally I like the SPB-2; it's not for everyone and it's very different from a Quarter Pounder (SPB-4).

If you're after a modern sound, it does have a nice, bright honk which just begs for a good set of rounds!

Maybe have a look at a Sandberg VS, pretty good and definitely a modern take on the trad P.

Or this: http://basschat.co.uk/topic/313189-acg-finn-4/page__fromsearch__1

Very much a modern style precision.