Why become a member? ×

Pedal Board Setup...

grantgam

Hello guys :)

Looking for a little advice for a pedal-board setup; if you guys could help than that would be great. Basically I'm looking for the correct setup that will allow the minimum amount of fiddling around when performing to switch between sounds. I'm waiting on delivery of a couple of pedals but would really appreciate your input before hand.

Pedals:

Korg Tuner
Boss LS-2
Boss DS-1
Behringer US600 Ultra Shifter
EHX Bass Big Muff
DI Box (will be rarely used, although there in case I'm going into a desk vs an amp).

I'm playing in a 3 instrument band: bass, drummer and guitarist - I'll be playing bass. I plan to use the above pedal selection to allow me to mix a distorted +1 octave (DS-1 and US600) in with my clean or fuzz bass signal to fill out potential empty space when the guitarist is soloing. Sort of adding a rhythm guitar riff to my bass line, I suppose. See below for an idea of how I think I should rig my pedals.

[attachment=255962:Pedals.jpg]

For those familiar with the Boss LS-2 (still waiting on delivery of mine, but have read the manual) there are various different modes to choose from. I intend to run the attached pedal configuration in "A+B Mix -> Bypass"; this will allow me to play clean (Bypass) and then bring in the distorted +1 octaves and fuzz (A+B Mix) for the guitar solos. At least I think that would be the right way to do it?

However, there are a couple of tracks where I would like to play primarily in fuzz bass (Bass Big Muff) and then bring in the +1 octave guitar sound (DS-1 and US600). I can't see an easy way of doing this though that doesn't involve changing over cabling.

Ideally, it would be great to be able to run the below configurations by changing only the mode on the LS-2 or by stepping on just one pedal:

Clean only
Fuzz only
Clean -> Bass Fuzz and distorted +1 octave
Fuzz -> Bass Fuzz and distorted +1 octave

I can live with more pedal presses at the end of the day, but I thought I'd run it past you guys to save me potential headaches.

Hope I've made myself at least a little clear, I'm new to all this so excuse my stupidity :)

Many thanks in advance!

Hello - no such thing as a 'correct' or stupid set up :) .. It's about what works for you.

I owned an LS-2 years' ago, so I'm familiar. But for anyone unfamiliar, here's a link to the manual: -

[url="https://www.manualslib.com/manual/314873/Boss-Ls-2.html?page=2#manual"]https://www.manualsl...l?page=2#manual[/url]

"[color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]there are a couple of tracks where I would like to play primarily in fuzz bass (Bass Big Muff) and then bring in the +1 octave guitar sound (DS-1 and US600). I can't see an easy way of doing this though that doesn't involve changing over cabling".[/font][/color]

Not keen on tap dancing? B) Here's one idea. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I might place [/font][/color]the Shifter on it's own in the first loop ( loop A ) and then chain > Muff > DS-1 together ( loop B ). Bypass for clean tone.

Or Shifter before the LS-2 (they tend to track better as first in the chain anyway) and then add the distortion?

You have quite a few options...

Edited by SimonEdward

Hey Simon, many thanks for your quick reply :)

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1508584081' post='3393076']Here's one idea. [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]I might place [/font][/color]the Shifter on it's own in the first loop ( loop A ) and then chain > Muff > DS-1 together ( loop B ). Bypass for clean tone.[/quote]
Am I right in thinking that this set-up is more or less the same as the one I scribbled in the image attached, but with the distortion in line with the Muff pedal rather than the pitch shifter?

If that's the case, then I still wouldn't be able to go from Fuzz (loop B ) to A+B Mix? I don't see an modes in the manual that allow switching between a loop and the A+B Mix - it seems that bypass --> A+B Mix is my only option.

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1508584081' post='3393076']Or Shifter before the LS-2 (they tend to track better as first in the chain anyway) and then add the distortion?
[/quote]
Would this not leave me with everything pitch shifted? i.e. no low frequency bass line in the mix? I'd like to retain the unshifted bass tone with fuzz and layer a distorted octave up guitar sound on top.

These are the settings I wish to achieve, and I think I can do the majority with my scribbled setup, it's just the 'Fuzz -> Bass Fuzz and distorted +1 octave' that can't be done by keeping all cabling the same?

Clean only - Bypass in any mode
Fuzz only - loop B selected from either of modes: A <-> B, B <-> Bypass, A -> B -> Bypass
Clean /or/ Bass Fuzz and distorted +1 octave - mode: A+B Mix -> Bypass
Fuzz /or/ Bass Fuzz and distorted +1 octave - ??????

Many thanks Simon and apologies if I'm missing something obvious and/or not making much sense...

Edited by grantgam

I've had a few posts and threads on here regarding a "bass playing a bass and octave up guitar/fuzz signal" set up.

In my case, I have an EHX Nano POG pedal set fully to octave up. Because the Nano POG has both Dry and Effect on outputs, I send a Dry output into my bass amp and the Effect "On" output into an already overdriven Boss Katana amp, via an Overdrive/Distortion pedal and a tweaked reverb pedal.

On the basis that the above is not what you want, and in light of your purchase of the Ultra Shifter pedal, the following link might be more useful!:

https://youtu.be/EYRLzAO05q4

Morning!

Many thanks for your reply. My current setup is similar to yours actually; I use a tuner to switch the distorted +1 octave into my guitar amp and have a clean bass from the dry out of my US600 pedal into my bass amp. But I'd like to drop the guitar amp, for portability reasons.

I'll need to have a think today about what might work. It's possible that the addition of that Switch blade pedal may be the answer.

Thank you.

Edited by grantgam

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

Get back from work tomorrow and should hopefully have some new pedals and patch leads waiting for me :)

As I've been unable to physically play around with different pedal configurations; I've sourced the instructions for all the pedals and worked out the most appropriate way to connect them in order to get the desired combinations and effects.

The only combination I cannot seem to get is to go from Fuzz Bass only ---> Fuzz bass + (+1 octave + distortion + harmony 5th's). What I can get however is Fuzz bass only ---> Clean + (+1 octave + distortion + harmony 5th's).

I don't think it's absolutely essential to have a fuzz bass signal in with the '+1 octave + distortion + harmony 5th's'; however if I do need it - I'm sure I can get something worked out.

Thanks for your input, I'll let you know how the sound is!

Grant
[attachment=256661:20171022_174620.jpg]