Why become a member? ×

Splitting the Output of a Pair of Humbuckers

SpondonBassed

If this is already dealt with in another topic please forgive me and reply with a link to it here.

I have two unknown-make humbuckers on my Pitbull. I like the sounds they make in the simple configuration that was in the kit's wiring diagram but I am interested in opening up the options as far as possible without putting in a preamp.

I know I can split the output of the coils as they have four wires each. What I am not sure about is how many different ways the separated coils can be wired and switched and the benefits that result. Currently there are four pots wired as separate volume and tone for each humbucker.

Can anyone suggest what might be needed in terms of a wiring scheme and additional components to expand the range of sounds I can get from the pick-ups supplied please? It's something I'd like to understand better.

If it helps to see the bass a link to its assembly topic is in the sig file below but to be kind to mobile 'phone users (a first for me!) here it is;
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/308684-ibanez-tribute-kit/"]http://basschat.co.u...ez-tribute-kit/[/url]

Edited by SpondonBassed

<p>http://duhvoodooman.com/Musical/humbucker_mods/humbucker_mods.htm</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>You can do basically any of these mods. Most of which require a switch - either a toggle switch (meaning extra holes) or you can get a volume/tone pot with a pull/push function to preserve the look of your bass.</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>In all honesty, on a two pickup bass the only one I would personally add is a switch for both pickups in series (FAT sound), or a switch to coil tap if its a particularly beefy pickup, this will drop the volume but add more treble.&nbsp;With some exceptions, coil tapped humbuckers don&#39;t sound as good as true single coil pickups though.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>The trouble with most of these mods is that can dramatically affect the volume output as well as the tone - so if you&#39;re on a gig it&#39;s not always a simple matter of flicking a switch to get a different sound, you&#39;ll need to play with volume controls too and possibly adjust your amp tone controls.&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<div>&nbsp;</div>

[quote name='brensabre79' timestamp='1508510861' post='3392695']
http://duhvoodooman.com/Musical/humbucker_mods/humbucker_mods.htm

You can do basically any of these mods. Most of which require a switch - either a toggle switch (meaning extra holes) or you can get a volume/tone pot with a pull/push function to preserve the look of your bass.

In all honesty, on a two pickup bass the only one I would personally add is a switch for both pickups in series (FAT sound), or a switch to coil tap if its a particularly beefy pickup, this will drop the volume but add more treble. With some exceptions, coil tapped humbuckers don't sound as good as true single coil pickups though.

The trouble with most of these mods is that can dramatically affect the volume output as well as the tone - so if you're on a gig it's not always a simple matter of flicking a switch to get a different sound, you'll need to play with volume controls too and possibly adjust your amp tone controls.
[/quote]

Many thanks. I shall study that a bit more. That's a lot like a pdf someone else posted from DiMarzio which also mentions switching the phase of one of the paired coils.

I understand the point about volume changes when switching from one configuration to another. With the coil split, in theory I should be able to use any of the four separated coils in any combination shouldn't I?

I wanted the series/parallel option already so it's good to hear it recommended.