Why become a member? ×

Best practice amp??

thebigyin

Hi Folks,
Appreciate any help and advice on a decent practice amp for home use in which i can plug in headphones and cd player for silent practice and also play along to songs....at 56 my hearing is pretty much knackered and I find it difficult hearing Bass lines without headphones these days thanks in advance cheers Bob

Can't beat the little Roland Bass Cubes.

Still got my 10 year old one even though I hardly use it. Can't bring myself to move it on - it sounds brilliant.

Or - if you only want headphones and you have a Smart Phone, then something like the Line 6 Sonic Port and the free version of Amplitube. It will access music in your library and let you plan along.

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1508414500' post='3392014']

Still got my 10 year old one even though I hardly use it. Can't bring myself to move it on - it sounds brilliant.

Or - if you only want headphones and you have a Smart Phone, then something like the Line 6 Sonic Port and the free version of Amplitube. It will access music in your library and let you plan along.
[/quote]

Thankyou

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1508414500' post='3392014']

[/quote]
+1

if you're only ever going to be using headphones then you might do better with a mini-mixer or a zoom fx unit (b3n or similar maybe?) these often have inputs for an aux and decent headphone outputs, Phil Jones make some headphone amps as well which are very well reviewed.

i use a small (5 input) Behringer mixing desk which works really well and is hooked up to my pc as well as a cable to my phone/tablet/iPod depending what i'm playing along to.

matt

I've got a Behringer BX600 combo that I bought many years ago from a fellow Basschatter for an absolute song. My son used it for a while but now it's back with me. It's the perfect practice amp, with CD and headphone sockets, and it's even loud enough to keep up with my 12-piece soul band at rehearsals.

A small mixer, as others say, will do the job and allow you to connect an iPod, CD player or whatever so you can play along to songs. Do use decent headphones, though. Preferably closed back with a proper bass response. I use Beyer DT770s, which I find excellent.

The Ampeg BA v2 series have aux in with separate volume control and headphone out. The BA110v2 up have the scrambler circuit added as well. I have the 110 and sounds decent enough at bedroom volumes when you get the chance to unplug the headphones.

Edited by fftc