Why become a member? ×

Positioning compressor on board

spiltmilk_2000

Hi all, just wondering if anyone can offer advice on best position for my compressor on my board. I currently have it near the front end to smooth out the signal going into my octave and fuzz pedals. However this means my envelope filter isn’t as responsive as it might be and I have a hard time setting everything to unity. Wondering if the compressor should go at the end to prevent drastic volume changes when pedals are engaged? Is it just trial and error? Anyone experimented with a compressor at both ends? My signal chain is below... does it seem counter intuitive or glaringly silly? Any suggestions gratefully received!

Bass press Volume wah...
Boss tu2 tuner
Darkglass supper symmetry compressor
Boss oc3 octave
Darkglass vintage ultra
Darkglass duality fuzz
Mxr envelope filter
SA lunar phaser
Tc shaker vibrato
Tc flashback delay

Hi there - I'm no expert but I've gone for a fairly traditional end of chain position for my compressor so that it can provide an overall more centred sound and deal with volume spikes.

There was quite a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/305772-where-to-place-your-compression-pedal-in-your-chain/"]useful little thread[/url] on this very topic earlier in the year and I think folk generally were opting for either the start or the end of the chain (and some for both!) with no "right" answer.

Btw - you've got some very impressive gear listed. I see you're a bit of an Aguilar fan; if you're playing live in London in the near future let me know - I'd love to hear a DB 750 in action!

I’ve gone for putting mine first, but that’s with a low threshold and ratio for general smoothing, and a blend to keep my attack intact. I’m not using an envelope filter but I have tried one after the comp and it’s still perfectly playable.

I think using a comp to even out volume levels from other pedals is the wrong application for a compressor. It’s a band aid that makes you ignore the fact your volume knobs just need tweaking, and you can end up with an overly squashed tone because one of your dirt pedals is set too high for example!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508366812' post='3391801']
I’ve gone for putting mine first, but that’s with a low threshold and ratio for general smoothing, and a blend to keep my attack intact. I’m not using an envelope filter but I have tried one after the comp and it’s still perfectly playable.

I think using a comp to even out volume levels from other pedals is the wrong application for a compressor. It’s a band aid that makes you ignore the fact your volume knobs just need tweaking, and you can end up with an overly squashed tone because one of your dirt pedals is set too high for example!
[/quote]

I largely agree with your sentiment here, but for certain pedals (particularly envelope filters with aggressive characteristics) a compressor is the most practical means of retaining the tone you’ve dialled in without running the risk of slapping woofers against grilles. I’m exaggerating a bit obviously!

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1508366812' post='3391801']
I've gone for putting mine first, but that's with a low threshold and ratio for general smoothing, and a blend to keep my attack intact. I'm not using an envelope filter but I have tried one after the comp and it's still perfectly playable.

I think using a comp to even out volume levels from other pedals is the wrong application for a compressor. It's a band aid that makes you ignore the fact your volume knobs just need tweaking, and you can end up with an overly squashed tone because one of your dirt pedals is set too high for example!
[/quote]

Yes, plus the fact that after a distortion a comp will raise the noise. I used to put my comp after the EF for the reason mentionned above, but now I've changed my mind and put it first as you do.

[quote name='T-Bay' timestamp='1508393989' post='3391834']
Mine is first in the chain as well, but I don't run envelope filters or wah pedals either.
[/quote]
Mine is near the front but I have my tuner and Wah pedal in front. It just sounds better to my ear that way around. I do have other envelope filters but I don't feel the need to tame them.

[quote name='Al Krow' timestamp='1508365111' post='3391787']

Btw - you've got some very impressive gear listed. I see you're a bit of an Aguilar fan; if you're playing live in London in the near future let me know - I'd love to hear a DB 750 in action!
[/quote]

Thanks Al... yes I love the db750. Really sounds like thunder but warm and tameable too. Unfortunately my bands are not gigging so much currently so it’s kind of semi-retired right now. Don’t think I could ever let it go even though my th500 with two sl112s does a pretty amazing job without destroying my back! :-) I saw someone selling a dB750 on here a while back for £750 so I nearly bought a spare! Steal of the century! Treat yourself to one... you won’t regret it :-)