Why become a member? ×

Warwick players...

Kellboy

[quote name='Kev' timestamp='1508360493' post='3391733']

Ryan Martinie is one of the reasons I picked up a Thumb, his work with early Mudvayne is great.
[/quote]

Have you heard his new band Soften The Glare? Well worth checking out.

I've had a few Warwick's in my time & still hark back to the '88 Stage II I owned many years ago. Didn't like the Thumb and always found it a "stretch" to play for some reason!
Biggest bug bear with Warwick is this... I had a "broad neck" 5-string Stage II which had a neck like a tree trunk and 20mm string spacing & then tried a standard spacing 5-string Stage II with 16.5mm spacing. Why can't Warwick make a 5-string with a standard string spacing, i.e. 18mm or 19mm spacing.

[quote name='largo' timestamp='1508764057' post='3394235']
I've had a few Warwick's in my time & still hark back to the '88 Stage II I owned many years ago. Didn't like the Thumb and always found it a "stretch" to play for some reason!
Biggest bug bear with Warwick is this... I had a "broad neck" 5-string Stage II which had a neck like a tree trunk and 20mm string spacing & then tried a standard spacing 5-string Stage II with 16.5mm spacing. Why can't Warwick make a 5-string with a standard string spacing, i.e. 18mm or 19mm spacing.
[/quote]

The Thumb is a bigger stretch. The scale length 34", so the same as most basses, but by having a small body and short top-horn, the whole thing, when on a strap, hangs slightly further to the left than most basses. This is all fine and well, if you're going to be playing high up the neck to slap the high tones, but if you're going to play where we bass players are told we should be, then you're going to need long arms.

As for the spacing, you can adjust the spacing down to about 17mm, so you only need to know how to do it.

Why can't Fender et al make basses with adjustable spacing on the bridges? It's not rocket science. Except, of course, they've managed to educate folk to accept poor engineering at inflated prices. But that's my humble opinion. Others take a different view.

I never had issues with the wide neck fingerboard. I do have long fingers. Adjusting to narrow spacing will take me some time ( only an issue for me with slap) but loads of bassists manage so confident I can refine a technique. Wide spacing seems to be rare now anyway so for the best really.

I have been playing Warwicks since '97. Its just a personal preference. I got the '89 Thumb first and fell in love. I wanted to have the same fretless and was lucky enough to find '89 6 string. I played '04 FNA Jazzman for few years which was fine but had that thicker neck. I prefer it slim. I managed to trade it for the Stage 2 which is '91. All sound great to my ears and since I am a tall guy reaching the 1st fret has never been a problem and with a good strap I have never had a problem with neck dive. But they are heavy when playing at a gig for 3 hours.

I recently finished restoring this beauty, a 90s Warwick Streamer with a broadneck, Barts and the sold brass hardware. I really need to take some better photos that better show the flaming in the maple, but for now these will have to suffice:

[url="https://postimg.org/image/5nj23sklz/"][/url]

[url="https://postimg.org/image/fwbj9m8nr/"][/url]

Mine has a 2 band EQ and is active/passive. Because I want it to be as versatlie as possible I have installed 2 x 3-way switches to select between coils on each of the barts(switches arent shown in the above photos obviously).
It is the best bass I have ever owned or played in terms of versatility, tone and playability. It snarls like a rabid dog if needed but can also be tamed and shaped to whatever else you need it to be. I also have an 08 Thumb 5 string NT which is fab and sounds like nothing else but the neck dive and weight is a bit of an issue for me and I find myself picking up the Streamer more often than not.

Will have to post some photos of the Warwick family as I seem to have collected a few more recently :ph34r:

Not the best photo but here is a quick family snap:

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]

Edited by dyerseve

1. Here's My Dolphin Pro 1.

2. Never heard (of) Ryan Martinie before today ... what a great bass player and how good to hear someone playing a great bass well.

3. The ebay corvette looks very good indeed. It's "only" a bolt on of course ... but then, so is my Wal!

Anyway, it's good to find people saying good things about Warwicks, as I've spent too much time on Wal forums recently, where Warwicks are considered the spawn of the devil ... probably 'cause the Wal owners are worried they paid so much when a beautifully built pro-shop warwick would have cost so much less (2nd hand, anyway)!

The fact that Warwicks do not hold their "as new" value is a constant mystery to me .. but whilst that is bad for collectors, isn't it great for those of us who want to play them :¬)

Dolph 2.JPG

Edited by NickA
picture had gone awol

[quote name='NickA' timestamp='1509051974' post='3396384']
1. Here's My Dolphin Pro 1.

2. Never heard (of) Ryan Martinie before today ... what a great bass player and how good to hear someone playing a great bass well.

3. The ebay corvette looks very good indeed. It's "only" a bolt on of course ... but then, so is my Wal!

Anyway, it's good to find people saying good things about Warwicks, as I've spent too much time on Wal forums recently, where Warwicks are considered the spawn of the devil ... probably 'cause the Wal owners are worried they paid so much when a beautifully built pro-shop warwick would have cost so much less (2nd hand, anyway)!

The fact that Warwicks do not hold their "as new" value is a constant mystery to me .. but whilst that is bad for collectors, isn't it great for those of us who want to play them :¬)
[/quote]

Beautiful bass! Love the shape and sound of the Dolhpins. I thought the Pro I's had the dolhpin inlays on the fretboard though?

And yes Ryan is an extraodinary player:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrUQ9wDh2fE[/media]

he does seem to have an aversion to shirts though...

Edited by dyerseve

Dolphin Pro1s DO generally have pesky little dolphins up and down the fingerboard, and the fingerboard is usually wenge.

This one has an ebony board and no aquatic mammals. Bloke who sold it to me reckoned it was a custom shop special. As it's all ovangkol and ebony I wondered if Warwick were fresh out of wenge when they made it. However, other basschatters who examined it at a bass bash reckoned it started life as a fretless (there is a tiny shim under the nut and the frets are stainless not bronze). Whoever put the frets in did a magnificent job and I do like the ebony board, so it doesn't bother me in the slightest. Sounds great, huge range of tones, sustain forever and very comfortable to play (though my stubby fingers struggle with half position a bit). Wish the hardware was black not gold tho.

... and I promise I only play it with my shirt on ;¬)

Edited by NickA

Fretless Warwicks usually have ebony boards so. It sounds likely to have started off as a fretless. Have you sent the serial number to Warwick , they might be able to confirm.
Nice dolphin though whichever way you look at it 👍🏻

Here's my Thumb NT that i bought 1989.
The reach to the nut end is quite a stretch tho and the weight can be hard going especialy as i've got older :lol:
I've gone thru stages over the years of wearing basses a bit higher but have again returned to a reasonable mid point position.
I found that the right choice of strap makes a difference to the neck dive issue.
A smooth leather strap allows the bass to slide down over your shoulder. I use a leather padded strap with a suede inside on my shoulder that stops any movement. Its nowhere near as bad as the Thunderbird basses i've tried.
As mentioned earlier it has a small body and long neck and if worn high up the dive isn't such an issue.
The dive isn't bad enough to put me off buying one at all.
The reach to nut end might be a decider tho as it takes a bit of getting used to. The natural position for the bass to sit is the body sits directly in front of you therefore the nut end is quite far away.
Def try one with a strap before you buy.

I had a loaner of a streamer with the J pick ups and found that a better balanced bass and had a more varied tonal range probably better for doing different styles.
The Thumb has a distinct growl to it i've always found.

[attachment=256399:The Bass Room 004.JPG]

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1508848109' post='3394818']
I recently finished restoring this beauty, a 90s Warwick Streamer with a broadneck, Barts and the sold brass hardware. I really need to take some better photos that better show the flaming in the maple, but for now these will have to suffice:

[url="https://postimg.org/image/5nj23sklz/"][/url]

[url="https://postimg.org/image/fwbj9m8nr/"][/url]

Mine has a 2 band EQ and is active/passive. Because I want it to be as versatlie as possible I have installed 2 x 3-way switches to select between coils on each of the barts(switches arent shown in the above photos obviously).
It is the best bass I have ever owned or played in terms of versatility, tone and playability. It snarls like a rabid dog if needed but can also be tamed and shaped to whatever else you need it to be. I also have an 08 Thumb 5 string NT which is fab and sounds like nothing else but the neck dive and weight is a bit of an issue for me and I find myself picking up the Streamer more often than not.

Will have to post some photos of the Warwick family as I seem to have collected a few more recently :ph34r:

Not the best photo but here is a quick family snap:

[url=https://postimages.org/][/url]
[/quote]

I totally love that streamer. What is that bass second from left n group photo?

Edited by bassbora

[quote name='bassbora' timestamp='1509212765' post='3397381']

I totally love that streamer. What is that bass second from right in group photo?
[/quote]

Thanks mate but which Streamer? There are three in the photo, there is the Stage 1 5 string broadneck, the white 4 string Stage 1 and Jazzman 5 string.
The bass 2nd from the right is an Ifinity Set Neck TCS. She is an absolute stunner with time and playability to die for!
Unfortunately I am a 5 string player these days so it and the white Streamer will be up for sale shortly.

[quote name='dyerseve' timestamp='1509219771' post='3397429']
Thanks mate but which Streamer? There are three in the photo, there is the Stage 1 5 string broadneck, the white 4 string Stage 1 and Jazzman 5 string.
The bass 2nd from the right is an Ifinity Set Neck TCS. She is an absolute stunner with time and playability to die for!
Unfortunately I am a 5 string player these days so it and the white Streamer will be up for sale shortly.
[/quote]

Sorry I meant the broadneck on its own. And the one I was asking about is the Infinity.

All look great

Didn't expect this thread to take off. I didn't go for the corvette in the end. So much stuff has Come up for sale and I have seen a streamer body with double buck pickups so that style has massively taken my interest.

I'd still love to try a thumb but they are the only Warwick that holds their retail value. Which says alot about their Popularity!

Can finally say im a proud streamer owner again! Not in the normal sense but got this double buck. Spent the last few days tuning in the truss rod and string spacing and height and am now very happy with it!! Monsterous tone and it's super fast! Can still slap it like a 4 stringer as well! I can see myself relearning dream theater covers on this. It's a keeper!!

Edited by Kellboy

I switched from Warwick to Zon. Thinking of throwing a carbon fiber neck on my Fender fiver as well. It simply is better then wood is for necks, never any hassle.
Warwicks are great basses though! Nothing bad to say about them. Might buy one again in the future. The Dolphin Pro1 is my fave among them.

[quote name='DiMarco' timestamp='1509960646' post='3402806']
I switched from Warwick to Zon. Thinking of throwing a carbon fiber neck on my Fender fiver as well. It simply is better then wood is for necks, never any hassle.
Warwicks are great basses though! Nothing bad to say about them. Might buy one again in the future. The Dolphin Pro1 is my fave among them.
[/quote]

Great necks for stability, but musically dead for me compared to wood. Liked it when I first tried one too, may have even said I'll never use wood again as I recall, but funnily enough my next bass was a Warwick... Rest is history!

I don't think the neck caused that, Kev. I have owned two Zons and one sounded rather sterile. The old '94 one I still own is lively and warm, even with the lots of clarity it has.
Favored it to the Corvette $$ I sold just because of this.

• 1 month later...
Guest gazzatriumph

Got this 2010 Corvette $$ for £600 in mint condition a couple of years ago, its my gigging bass, nice slim neck, great sound never had any neck dive. The poor second hand value of most Warwicks has always surprised me for such a quality instrument. 

5a2d962fc7589_10Corvettefront.thumb.JPG.4dea9807d454016c79ed6464bf0e9c8e.JPG

4 hours ago, gazzatriumph said:

Got this 2010 Corvette $$ for £600 in mint condition a couple of years ago, its my gigging bass, nice slim neck, great sound never had any neck dive. The poor second hand value of most Warwicks has always surprised me for such a quality instrument. 

5a2d962fc7589_10Corvettefront.thumb.JPG.4dea9807d454016c79ed6464bf0e9c8e.JPG

Its a buyers market without question, I picked up a 2009 Thumb BO4 for £650 earlier this year with flight case and all the original gubbins, user kit, even a spare nut and control nobs. The thing had hardly been played and even still had the original strings it was shipped with, I only changed them myself a few weeks back. Its been my main bass for most of this year, it has a lovely slim neck profile the same as my old 99 Corvette (in my sig). I liked it so much I bought an 2010 Thumb NT4 but have since moved that on, I preferred the punchier sound of the BO, still an amazing bass though.

A Corvette $$ is next on my shopping list, I had one a couple of years ago but it had the fat 'baseball bat' neck and i just didn't get on with it, so i am hunting for a thinner one at the moment.

But if you hunt around there are some amazing bargains on the second hand market at the moment.