Why become a member? ×

Warwick players...

Kellboy

Market is better now than it was a few years ago, but still not where it should be for such great instruments.

I love my Corvette $$, I only wished it had the curved body of the Streamers and Thumbs.  Have it tuned CGCF at the moment in preparation for a potential new band I may be involved with and it really roars. 

My 1989 Thumb I can say is the nicest Warwick I have played and I am sure it will be my #1 for many years to come now.  The neck is fantastic, slim and 'fast' with zero neck dive and plays so well.  EMGs sound great too.

3 hours ago, Bill said:

Yeah she was lush! stunning bass, but quite heavy! 

heres a few clips of how she sounded:

Stoking up some Warwick GAS this one! Even been to check out The Gallery website, but not been updated yet... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigwan said:

Stoking up some Warwick GAS this one! Even been to check out The Gallery website, but not been updated yet... 

Only dropped her in a few days ago dude, so i think may be another few days before the info and photos are up!

On 23.10.2017 at 15:20, Grangur said:

The Thumb is a bigger stretch. The scale length 34", so the same as most basses, but by having a small body and short top-horn, the whole thing, when on a strap, hangs slightly further to the left than most basses. This is all fine and well, if you're going to be playing high up the neck to slap the high tones, but if you're going to play where we bass players are told we should be, then you're going to need long arms.

Exactly. xD

The only reason I love my Thumb is it's sound. Playing is the opposite of comfortable. In comparison with that, playing a Fender Jazz is a pure dream, and my Vigier Arpège III is an even more beautiful dream. :friends:

I once had the pleasure to compare my 2004 Thumb NT...

Thumb-Totale.thumb.jpg.6496747f3a273f33eac142067514dc3e.jpg

...with another one from '87. The '87's neck was much less exhausing so much better to play - but I didn't notice so much difference in sound (I don't remember the PUs of the '87 - I'm sure it were others than EMG because I remember playing a Thumb Fretless from '88 with EMGs and its sound was disastrous - it did not sing at all ¬¬ ... )

18 minutes ago, mk1967 said:

Exactly. xD

The only reason I love my Thumb is it's sound. Playing is the opposite of comfortable. In comparison with that, playing a Fender Jazz is a pure dream, and my Vigier Arpège III is an even more beautiful dream. :friends:

I once had the pleasure to compare my 2004 Thumb NT...

Thumb-Totale.thumb.jpg.6496747f3a273f33eac142067514dc3e.jpg

...with another one from '87. The '87's neck was much less exhausing so much better to play - but I didn't notice so much difference in sound (I don't remember the PUs of the '87 - I'm sure it were others than EMG because I remember playing a Thumb Fretless from '88 with EMGs and its sound was disastrous - it did not sing at all ¬¬ ... )

I don't add too much weight to the tone of EMGs compared to the MECs, the MECs are an EMG clone anyway I believe so not exactly surprising they are similar.  The EMGs are perhaps slightly rounder and less tinny, but there isn't much in it really, although many swear by them.  My '89 thumb though is a dream to play.  Very slim neck, slim body, perfect balance and just makes me want to keep playing.  I have owned two Thumb's from 2000 with the chunkier bodies and necks and your word is good, I did find them rather more exhausting to play.

Remain tempted to drop a pair of Barts in my thumb for comparison.

On 12/20/2017 at 23:35, bassbora said:

Hey @Bill I had a quick look at few of your videos. Great playing and fantastic phrasing. I noticed you were playing a Streamer Stage 1. In some of them. What year was it made and what pickups does it have? How did it compare to the custom you are selling? Cheers 

Thanks man - that Streamer was a 1990 model, i moved it on a few years ago when the custom shop came in, it had Nordstrand 'Big Singles' pickups installed in her, was quite similar in sound to the custom!

4 hours ago, Bill said:

Thanks man - that Streamer was a 1990 model, i moved it on a few years ago when the custom shop came in, it had Nordstrand 'Big Singles' pickups installed in her, was quite similar in sound to the custom!

I used to do quite a lot of jazz and I loved your playing, reminded me of good times. I bought a ‘91 Streamer Stage 1 couple of months back and was curious what your thoughts on it was. Mine is BN with Barts and it sounds great. But I played it at a gig for the first time last weekend. It was only two sets but over an hour each. It did not sit as well in the mix as my Stage 2. That bass is just unreal so I swapped in the break. I will try again but it will need some rethinking how to make it sound great. My Thumb is taking the back seat. I hate to admit it but the Streamers do sound better.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, toolapcblack said:

Hi just wondering if the latest Thumb BO basses are no longer made in Germany?

If not is the quality still great

Cheers

Warwick Pro Series, Warwick Teambuilt and Masterbuilt are all made in Germany