Jump to content
Left leaderboard
patrikmarky

Sire marcus miller p7

Recommended Posts

On 14/03/2020 at 10:22, Al Krow said:

Speaking of V7s, here's "mine" complete with gig bag...

Sire V7 I return.jpg

Bit of Bitumen Paint and it'll even be water-proof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JottoSW1 said:

Bit of Bitumen Paint and it'll even be water-proof.

Funny thing is the DHL driver didn't even realise he had to collect the V7 in exchange for the P7 so I could now have been the proud owner of both! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13/03/2020 at 08:25, uk_lefty said:

That is a good looking bass. Ignoring the headstock. It's a good looking bass up to the top of the neck 😊😊

Is it just me, or does the headstock bear more than a little resemblance to the Sadowsky one? (And which IMO is not a bad design at all!) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Is it just me, or does the headstock bear more than a little resemblance to the Sadowsky one? (And which IMO is not a bad design at all!) 

Who knows. The bass is good enough that I can let it slide. When the apocalypse is over and the government has finished printing money I'll pay the bargain 80 trillion pounds for one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Is it just me, or does the headstock bear more than a little resemblance to the Sadowsky one? (And which IMO is not a bad design at all!) 

The whole bass bares more than a little resemblance  to a Sadowsky.

Both are PJ’s which sound authentic, both are active, both have very playable necks, both are more than gig worthy. 
Come to think of it, why buy a Sadowsky in the first place lol. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

The whole bass bears more than a little resemblance  to a Sadowsky.

Both are PJ’s which sound authentic, both are active, both have very playable necks, both are more than gig worthy. 
Come to think of it, why buy a Sadowsky in the first place lol. 

@PJ-Bassist you heard it first here! Save yourself £1,500...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

@PJ-Bassist you heard it first here! Save yourself £1,500...

I just past the top of your road. Wanted to pop in and see your Sadowsky killer, but with things how they are I thought I’d leave it for now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, dave_bass5 said:

I just past the top of your road. Wanted to pop in and see your Sadowsky killer, but with things how they are I thought I’d leave it for now. 

Aww shame mate, there will be opportunities aplenty I am sure in the not too distant future when you'll very welcome to pop round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@PJ-Bassist you heard it first here! Save yourself £1,500...

Looks like a lot of bass for not much money.

How's the neck and action, weight?

At those prices I wouldn't mind giving a fretless a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/03/2020 at 10:55, Drax said:

Got a P7 5 recently - intending to fill the 'P' type gigs I seem to be doing more of, where my other main bass wasn't really right. 

Possibly still in honeymoon period but haven't put it down. The pre is as useful as Aguilar / East I've owned. The neck and rolled fretwork is beautiful. 

Pains me to say it - as the bass world would be a worse place without the independent luthiers - but I've been using the P7 for every gig since, over my handmade J (that cost 7x). 

On some of the points raised above

  • I pretend to play poncy stuff up the dusty end, and have always had 2 octave 24 frets. I've not missed the extra 4 notes. 
  • I thought I was sensitive to weight. This one is 10.2lbs but it's been fine on gigs. Like the frets, I wonder weight has been one of those self imposed rules I've lived by without revisiting. 
On 18/03/2020 at 12:26, Rich said:

I'm 5 years into my V7 now and still think it's one of my very best bass purchases ever. I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of other 5 string J-type basses I've played that I prefer.

@PJ-Bassist couple of reviews above.

Weight, I'd say 9.5 lbs (4strings) to 10.2 lbs (5strings) from comments made so far.

Action and neck - I'm a little spoiled with great necks with my Ibbys and Yammys but I've not noticed anything untoward about the Sire. My action is not as low as some folk like to have theirs (e.g. @dave_bass5). Slightly oddly out of the box Andertons had set it up with raised E,A,D strings like you might see on an acoustic bass. I have since lowered, but didn't manage to get super low without fret buzz, but maybe a combination of slight truss rod adjustment would get me there if I wanted to lower the action further.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

@PJ-Bassist couple of reviews above.

Weight, I'd say 9.5 lbs (4strings) to 10.2 lbs (5strings) from comments made so far.

Action and neck - I'm a little spoiled with great necks with my Ibbys and Yammys but I've not noticed anything untoward about the Sire. My action is not as low as some folk like to have theirs (e.g. @dave_bass5). Slightly oddly out of the box Andertons had set it up with raised E,A,D strings like you might see on an acoustic bass. I have since lowered, but didn't manage to get super low without fret buzz, but maybe a combination of slight truss rod adjustment would get me there if I wanted to lower the action further.

I need to keep reminding myself that I do not need another bass, or any gear really.  I just need more practice, and to line up a band for when the apocalypse is over!

Edited by PJ-Bassist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PJ-Bassist said:

I need to keep reminding myself that I do not need another bass, or any gear really.  I need just need more practice, and to line up a band for when the apocalypse is over!

Recommend you join a gear abstinence thread that starts in 3 days then 😁 

Besides, you're not a million miles from my parish - I'd be more than happy to let you have the Sire P7 on loan for a few weeks. I'm not likely to need it for gigging for the next couple of months! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, PJ-Bassist said:

I need to keep reminding myself that I do not need another bass, or any gear really.  I just need more practice, and to line up a band for when the apocalypse is over!

It's hard to practice when your only free time is having a sh!t at work, and that's when smartphones buy basses all by themselves... 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Recommend you join a gear abstinence thread that starts in 3 days then 😁 

Besides, you're not a million miles from my parish - I'd be more than happy to let you have the Sire P7 on loan for a few weeks. I'm not likely to need it for gigging for the next couple of months! 

That's super kind but I have a rule - never touch another man's wood!  

I'm in on your 3 / 9 diet challenge, I just need to order some pickups for my custom then I'm golden.

57 minutes ago, uk_lefty said:

It's hard to practice when your only free time is having a sh!t at work, and that's when smartphones buy basses all by themselves... 

This is so true,  I have 4 kids and by the time bed times are finished I'm too tired to pick up the guitar.   I always seem to somehow end up on basschat and bassdirect credit card in hand.

Edited by PJ-Bassist
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PJ-Bassist said:

 

This is so true,  I have 4 kids and by the time bed times are finished I'm too tired to pick up the guitar.   I always seem to somehow end up on basschat and bassdirect credit card in hand.

I've only got two kids but their ages makes them a 24hr a day job! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Al Krow. Been meaning to ask. How are your finding the B string on the P7 compared to your BB1025? I know you had issues with the neck pup on the low string. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

@Al Krow. Been meaning to ask. How are your finding the B string on the P7 compared to your BB1025? I know you had issues with the neck pup on the low string. 

One of the first things I checked for when I got my hands on it 😊

On 17/03/2020 at 18:11, Al Krow said:

...The active P on the Sire cuts through on the low B really well and won't, I suspect, require me to switch to the solo J which I do on my Yammy.

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice clip showing off the P7 tone from a TB'er who's recently just got himself one:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dunno if any my fellow Sire P7 owners have worked out what mid freq setting is when the para mid dial is in it's mid 'notch' position? The para mid frequency is stated as going from 80Hz to 2kHz, so it's clearly between these two.
 
Helpfully for me the mid 'notch' position seems to be a really good default in terms of both sweetening the tone when cut and providing additional mid punch when boosted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks John - that's very helpful.

Also explains why the low end boost needs to be used so sparingly if the bass EQ has been centred at 20Hz! On the other hand, I suspect it's going to be quite an effective HPF / "low end crud" eliminator when cut.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Also explains why the low end boost needs to be used so sparingly if the bass EQ has been centred at 20Hz! On the other hand, I suspect it's going to be quite an effective HPF / "low end crud" eliminator when cut.

Centre at 20Hz sounds comically low. I suppose it depends how wide it is as well though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Al Krow said:
Dunno if any my fellow Sire P7 owners have worked out what mid freq setting is when the para mid dial is in it's mid 'notch' position? The para mid frequency is stated as going from 80Hz to 2kHz, so it's clearly between these two.
 
Helpfully for me the mid 'notch' position seems to be a really good default in terms of both sweetening the tone when cut and providing additional mid punch when boosted. 

Once you get your DAW up and running you could use that to get a feel of where the different feels are on the knob.....I think. 
 

I agree though, the default centre mid is where I seem to leave mine set. Never felt the need to use the low boost. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup if you run your DAW and record a bass track you can apply an EQ and see the eq curve dancing away on playback. I've just been doing that with some 'new to me' jazz pick ups. Always handy to know where a particular instruments has it's EQ peaks and troughs. I had three p bass which all had visibly different EQ when put through this sort of 'testing'. Meant I had a better understanding of each from an EQ'ing perspective. One had quite a bump at 500Hz, one was quite pokey around 300Hz etc. Sure we can hear differences in some basses but it's good to know based on actual evidence if changes are needed to fill things out/cut out freqs on a gig.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...