Why become a member? ×

Sire marcus miller p7

patrikmarky

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I currently find myself GASing for a Precision, and with a spare £400 burning a hole in my pocket I was considering a Classic Vibe Squier, until I saw the P7.

It’d be good to hear if anyone’s gigging with one?

If I was ever on the hunt for another 5 (it's bound to happen sooner or later) I'd be looking very closely at the P7. I really, REALLY liked the V7 I used to have, but the overly loud B string killed the love (why, oh why put a 7.25" radius on a 5 string?). You could actually do something about it with the split pickup on the P7!

• 7 months later...

Not wishing to put a downer on these basses.  I saw a fellow worshipper had one and apart from the control knobs looked a beauty.  But why Jazz and Precision pickups, why that body shape, why identical dimensions on radius and nut width etc?  Why not come up with an original design?  I know MM is known for playing a 70's ash Jazz but that's a Fender or a Sadowski modified Fender.  I know the headstock isn't a Fender shape but why not start from scratch?  This is a question of philosophy.

Davo

2 hours ago, Davo-London said:

Not wishing to put a downer on these basses.  I saw a fellow worshipper had one and apart from the control knobs looked a beauty.  But why Jazz and Precision pickups, why that body shape, why identical dimensions on radius and nut width etc?  Why not come up with an original design?  I know MM is known for playing a 70's ash Jazz but that's a Fender or a Sadowski modified Fender.  I know the headstock isn't a Fender shape but why not start from scratch?  This is a question of philosophy.

Davo

Their M series basses are a bit more original. I'd be quite keen for a four string version of one.

• 9 months later...

I had a V7, I really didn't get on with it, and had a few build quality issues with the particular one I had, just seems to be nowhere near as good as the hype, annoying when everyone was banging on about them and you can get a decent Squier or G&L for that kind of money. Quite disappointing really. 

I then tried a P7, really got on with it and bought it. Worlds apart from the V7 and stable. I get lots of tone out of it easily and use it as my main gigging bass now meaning my Old P's don't have to fly or have pints / dickheads near them. 

Both are 5 strings by the way 

Edited by CalDeep

• 3 months later...
On 06/06/2018 at 08:12, Bigwan said:

If I was ever on the hunt for another 5 (it's bound to happen sooner or later) I'd be looking very closely at the P7. I really, REALLY liked the V7 I used to have, but the overly loud B string killed the love (why, oh why put a 7.25" radius on a 5 string?). You could actually do something about it with the split pickup on the P7!

Did you pull the trigger on a P7 in the end? I've got my eye on v2 as I suspect it will nail the 'iconic' Fender P tone closer than my Yammy PJ gets to it.

@Dad3353 would you mind doing your 'thread refresh' thing on this thread for us please?

Edited by Al Krow

On 04/02/2019 at 16:04, Davo-London said:

Davo

I get the point your making, but in Sire's defence:

Fender don't seem to currently be offering a PJ 5 string. Very few other brands make a decent PJ 5 string in Sire's price range. So they're already tapping into a different market space.

Then add in: body through stringing, a slimmer J neck, active / passive, 3 band EQ with variable mids and you've got a very distinct and desirable offering. And all for < £500. 

Edited by Al Krow

1 hour ago, Al Krow said:

Did you pull the trigger on a P7 in the end? I've got my eye on v2 as I suspect it will nail the 'iconic' Fender P tone closer than my Yammy PJ gets to it.

Nope, never had the need

Edit: but if I did ever have the need the P7 would be on the list of probables!

Edited by Bigwan

I was going to get a couple of 5'er P7s, this time last year. I wanted two basses the same rather than batting about between active fretted and passive fretless from different manufacturers, and stepping up to a couple of these was within the budget. So it was just a matter of going over to Anderton's and checking them out.

Noice, as they say. Really good basses. I had found a fretted and a fretless in colours I liked. I had them in my hands and was looking for an assistant, with the credit card in hand & ready to go. Whilst I was waiting, I noodled around on the fretless on a tune that's a bass feature in my band; it involves me playing the intro melody above the octave.....and I ran out of notes. The neck only goes up to a Fender-ish 20 frets, and I wanted at least 1 more.

I put them back on their respective hangers, and Mrs. Mango and I went back to the car for the journey home.
A week later, we went up to Bass Direct and came home with 2 Spector 5'ers.  Which have 2-octave necks. Sorted.

I would have had the P7's, though, if not for that.

• Like 2

@mangotango do you know what - that's actually a really good point! I had spotted that but somehow not let it sink in, because the P7 ver 2 seem to have so much going for them for the money.

You've made me have a think about what the highest frets I'm currently using on any of our sets and it's the 19th on the octave up of the bass riff on the Free - Alright Now guitar solo section, and up to fret 20 if I fancy playing the Bruno Mars - Runaway Baby bass riff an octave up, just to annoy the guitarist of course, so I should just about be ok. But you're right it's definitely a nice to have a few more frets.

My Yammy BB 1025 has a relatively modest 21 frets, but the rest of my herd all have 24 other than the Ibby Portamento 5er which has a ridiculously versatile 30!! Now if you're partial to noodling at the dusty end, there's a fretless you should check out at some point. Just sayin' 😉

Edited by Al Krow
  • Like 1

Ok I get in advance that this is a damn stupid question...but Mike Lull PJ5s have a great rep and the PJ5-24 does have a two octave fretboard and I've been having a little look at them. What got me thinking was that they're typically made of same body & fretboard wood as the P7 (e.g. Alder / Rosewood combination). It will no doubt have better tuners, bridge and electronics. It's also a bolt on.

But as someone who hasn't tried either I'm kinda thinking: it's SIX times the price and while I appreciate the point about diminishing returns but is it really going to sound and play even twice as good? One of my BC mates described the P7 as the nicest bass he's ever played and he's played a few basses in his day!

16 hours ago, Al Krow said:

One of my BC mates described the P7 as the nicest bass he's ever played and he's played a few basses in his day!

That was before i came round to your Bass emporium lol.

To put that in to context, i felt the neck and pliability was spot on for me. The bass is other respects isn't perfect, but for me the ability to play it and feel comfortable and not limited on is was the point i was making. If the P7 had been the same price as the BB435 i just brought id have gone for the Sire without a second thought.

Word on the street is the Alder is a touch lighter (as well as less expensive) than the Swamp Ash but they are all around the 9.5lbs mark (for the version 2 line up). 

@dave_bass5...well for just another £50 on top of your steeply discounted price for a new BB435, you could probably twist Andertons to sell you a new Alder / Rosewood P7 in a lovely antique white finish. 

Edited by Al Krow
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Word on the street is the Alder is a touch lighter (as well as less expensive) than the Swamp Ash but they are all around the 9.5lbs mark (for the version 2 line up). 

@dave_bass5...well for just another £50 on top of your steeply discounted price for a new BB435, you could probably twist Andertons to sell you a new Alder / Rosewood P7 in a lovely antique white finish. 

Good point. I could also ask them to change the neck for a maple and re spray the body with a sunburst finish 🤔