Why become a member? ×

Bass you just couldn’t get on with?

KingPrawn

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1508448530' post='3392358']
Peavey Sarzo :o Love the way it plays and feels. Buggered if I can get a tone I like :(
[/quote]

You need big hair and spandex to get the best out of that model

[quote name='LewisK1975' timestamp='1508311210' post='3391186']
Seems to me that Basses 'speak' to me through their neck dimensions.

Anything too small and it just feels wrong to me.

It's not just about nut width either, the only Jazz bass I've retained is my 1975. Obviously it has the 1.5" nut, but having the U shape neck makes it feel substantial in the hand, so it works for me.

I've also got wider nut Basses, which have deep necks (Yamaha Attitudes), and shallower necks (Fender RW Precision).

Seems as long as the neck has enough wood, then I'm happy.
[/quote]

I agree. However, I think it comes down to neck stiffness, as opposed to bulk. I love graphite necks and the necks of my Celinders...plenty of substance there. The Celinders have graphite neck reinforcement.

Edited by funkle

[quote name='oldslapper' timestamp='1508319143' post='3391275']
Any bass where the top strap button is higher than the 12th fret.
I love the sound and feel of Spectors for instance, but reaching for the 1st fret is an uncomfortable stretch, unless I have the neck pointing upwards.
I tend not to care what a bass looks like, not that bothered what it sounds like, but it has to be comfortable to play.
[/quote]

Also this. Strap buttons at 12th fret and above...why do people do this...first fret reach is a million miles away. Impossible.

I'm looking at YOU, Warwick Thumb Bass.....

Edited by funkle

[quote name='SpondonBassed' timestamp='1508480298' post='3392423']
May I add that much of the criticism was of the neck for both the Jazz and the Precision. They're like Marmite and Bovril for me. I never got a taste for either of them, not even on toast.
[/quote]

Well, same here - but I think that for a lot of these problems the neck is a major thing - its the main reason I don't like P basses (I am not actually a fan of the pickup and layout but I could live with that bit), Ibanez BTBs and a few others.

1983 Fender Jazz - all in one White scratchplate with Strat style knobs. Couldn't get on with it, or even get a half decent sound out of it. Had a neck that was like a banana (even after a set up at Andy's in London)... Not my greatest bass purchase!

Needless to say, it was moved on very quickly for a much better Ibanez MC940...

Edited by louisthebass

I had a striking demonstration of how different two individual basses can be earlier this year when I decided I [b]needed[/b] a Gibson EB2 (as you do :-)

Full story and pics here:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/242658-show-off-your-short-scales/page__view__findpost__p__3361861

Summary: the first one I tried was completely dull and lifeless. The second - same year (1966), same condition and set-up - sang in my arms and came home with me. Nothing to do with the weight or the neck or anything else you could point to, they were identical. Except that they so, so were not.

Squier Standard V (or some such name) - 5-string P body with J pickups. Bought it as I wanted to try 5-strings again. Then a cheap Vietnamese Antoniotsai that I'd bought on That Ebay arrived and I got shot of the Squier straight away, having finally found out what a decent 5-string neck felt like.

Hofner violin bass - absolutely horrible to play otherwise I'd have bought it. Of course, I couldn't know the future then, investing £75 in a 60s violin bass would actually have been a good idea...

Bass Collection (SGC Nanyo) fretless 4 - lovely instrument but at the time I was using Warwick Thumbs and it felt too light. I keep an eye out for 5-string ones as I think I'd get on with a light bass now (I do, in fact, my Sei Original is very light).

[quote name='kodiakblair' timestamp='1508537575' post='3392900']
There's a law in Scotland forbids me from wearing spandex. I take that law seriously :lol:
[/quote]

I'm quite sure that is in case you need to wear a kilt over the top for a formal occasion. It would be a bit of a fashion foul-up on windy days with nothing weighting down your sporran.

Since joining Basschat I’ve had the pleasure, in most cases, of buying and selling a few Basses. The biggest let down for me was buying a limited edition Jack Bruce Cream Revival Fretless. Heavy, cumbersome, chrome finish looked tacky close up ( snaps looked good), a really sharp edge on the board next to the G String, sound wasn’t good either. To top it all when I passed it to ‘my’ Luthier for a set up he informed me that the joining of the wings to the neck was coming apart on the rear of the bass. Shock horror, serious glue job and a week in G Clamps sorted that together with a quick spit and polish. Moved it very quickly after that. Disappointed but I’m glad I tried it..

My Limelight jazz.

Pickups were incredible, sounded beautiful. Build quality was excellent.

The only bass I've had where others have commented about how cool it looked.

I just couldn't make it sing. It felt stiff and unnatural when I was playing it. Kept trying and trying because of the brilliant tone but I had to eventually face up to the fact that it wasn't for me.

Edited by colleya