Why become a member? ×

Bass you just couldn’t get on with?

KingPrawn

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1508309761' post='3391167']
Every Fender Jazz bass I've owned, and I've tried a few... Sound brilliant Look even better Love the sound... Play in a band with them and I'm like, "argh where's that nice sound gone?" I want to love them, but can't
[/quote][quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1508310444' post='3391179']
I`ve had exactly the same experiences as Luke, Fender Jazzes, just don`t work for me.
[/quote]

Me too, and yet I still GAS for them as much as I GAS for anything else. Every other year or so I get one, keep it for a while and then move it on... only to buy another. On and on it goes. I must have spent a fortune on basses I don't really like. WHY??

This ones easy , Epiphone Flying V , this bass looked amazing , sounded really good..... but it was when I tried to sit down to practice with it, if you have ever tried sitting down to play a flying v you will know that it is just horrible, it took me all of a week before I moved it on

Pretty much anything that isn't a Precision! Hence 9 of the 18 current crop of basses are Precisions

Hated the Thunderbird I had for all of a week

Hated the CMI Rick I had recently

Couldn't get on with any Warwick's I have ever owned

Can't get on with Jazz basses, don't like the way their sound forms at the amp, I can never hear them on stage!

Could never get on with the Stingray sound up until picking up the USA sub, which I really like, however I have just discovered it makes a crap recording bass!

Don't really get on with 5 string basses so really need to sell them

Can't really understand the point of the bass VI so rarely ever play it, again I should sell it really......

Yet I get on fine with most electric guitars!

Jazzes - they sound OK, I like slim necks, but they never inspire me: I've never liked the looks, they just bring out the Meh in me. I've owned a few, from modern US ones to 'vintage' 70s...

Stingrays - I keep buying them because I love them every time someone else plays them, then I get another, and...it just doesn't work for me. I've owned several, in fact I have one now I don't use. I must get round to selling it... :unsure:

Rickenbacker 4001/4003 - Just No. On every level but the visual. :(

[quote name='markdavid' timestamp='1508413706' post='3392003']
This ones easy , Epiphone Flying V , this bass looked amazing , sounded really good..... but it was when I tried to sit down to practice with it, if you have ever tried sitting down to play a flying v you will know that it is just horrible, it took me all of a week before I moved it on
[/quote]

Sitting down? What are you like?

Agree with all of the above re Ricks.

Couldn't bond with my Hohner B2A headless due to the location of the neck strap button
making it always seem a long stretch to the lower frets. The Steinberger brackety thing
would probably have solved this but couldn't find one at the time. Shame as I quite liked
the bass otherwise-played and sounded great etc.

Having always loved MM Stingrays, for some reason I've found it hard to get on
with a couple of US Sterlings I've had for some reason. Can adapt to the slimmer neck
with no problems, but maybe a bit underwhelmed that they were no lighter than some
Rays I've owned despite the smaller body dimensions. Would love to find a really light
Sterling and give it another try though, nudge nudge.....

I always loved the sound of Stingrays on record. Exactly what I wanted but every time I bought one it sounded deader than dead.

+1 on the Rickenbackers. Look fantastic, I love the sound but utterly dreadful to play

+1 on Jazz basses. I love the sound of these but when I play them they sound weedy and thin.

Modulus Flea Bass - a huge Flea fan I had wanted one for ages. Years ago when the $:£ exchange rate was really good I bought one from the US. It was such a disappointment in terms of sound and playability

Warwick Thumb NT5 - Again I had wanted one for ages but it sounded too nasaly, balanced dreadfully and just disappointing

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1508422129' post='3392089']
Agree with all of the above re Ricks.

Couldn't bond with my Hohner B2A headless due to the location of the neck strap button
making it always seem a long stretch to the lower frets. The Steinberger brackety thing
would probably have solved this but couldn't find one at the time. Shame as I quite liked
the bass otherwise-played and sounded great etc.
[/quote]

I solved this on my Steinberger Sprit by making an extension arm from carbon fibre. It even folds away for putting the bass into its tiny case.

Frank.

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1508423395' post='3392101']
from the comments on here sounds like Fender ought to make a P bass with a Jazz neck again, I have seen one but it was a 1970's model
[/quote]

Think there have been a few - The Nate Mendel, the American Special P-bass and the MIM Precision bass Special.
Not sure if they're all mega thin, but certainly more so than the typical P-bass.

[quote name='machinehead' timestamp='1508424742' post='3392113']
I solved this on my Steinberger Sprit by making an extension arm from carbon fibre. It even folds away for putting the bass into its tiny case.

Frank.
[/quote]

Wish I'd known this then Frank, problem solved :(

Every Fender Jazz bass I've owned, and I've tried a few...
Sound brilliant
Look even better
Love the sound...

Play in a band with them and I'm like, "argh where's that nice sound gone?"
I want to love them, but can't
[/quote]

I was the same until I had one with an East preamp. Being able to put a bit more mid in to counteract the scoop of both pups on full suddenly made it work in a band.

[quote name='mrtcat' timestamp='1508434695' post='3392219']
I was the same until I had one with an East preamp. Being able to put a bit more mid in to counteract the scoop of both pups on full suddenly made it work in a band.
[/quote]

I was the same until I had the S1 switch, just one press of the button and it really comes forward.

Every Fender Jazz bass I've owned, and I've tried a few...
Sound brilliant
Look even better
Love the sound...

Play in a band with them and I'm like, "argh where's that nice sound gone?"
I want to love them, but can't
[/quote]

+1

Jazz: It's a bass I pretty much only use at home. In the band I just don't get it quite right: Stingray or Precision for me.

Warwick Corvette $$... a 2005 model with a crazy thick neck. It sounded great but that neck... it had to go.

[quote name='Paul S' timestamp='1508322888' post='3391322']
Had similar issues with Jazz basses but, amongst many others, two stand out - both in their own way exceptionally rare and desirable.tm in the name by any chance if so runaway

I had GAS for a Westone Pantera X790 ever since seeing the page on the interweb about them. I found one for sale in Holland for a premium price and picked it up in person. Had it put back to pretty much museum condition but never ever enjoyed playing it. Didn't like the tone, didn't like the way it hung. Had to admit to myself that it just didn't do it for me. Took a massive hit financially when I finally moved it on.

Copy and paste my latest quest - the Yamaha BB5000 I imported from Japan. Love my BB425 but find it too heavy so this one ticked all the boxes for my dream bass. Nope. Fabulous bass, just not for me. Sold it to someone in Germany and now we are having a potentially punishingly expensive discussion about the amount of trussrod movement.
[/quote]

There was a Chinese version of the Aria Silent bass that I knew was a mistake straight away so doesn't really count.

Oddly for it's 2 Peaveys :o :o :o

I had 2 Millennium BXPs and they were lovely basses. Looked grand,set up like a dream and sounded great. Kept reading about how amazing the US versions were and how there should be a law against the BXPs :huh: Bought one,cost me twice what the 2 BXP's did. I got a graphite gray bass with an extra inch scale length and a sweepable mids knob I never use :( Nice well built bass but I believed the hype and buyers remorse kicked in.

Bought another !! Same result but it's got a Violet quilt top so looks pretty :lol:

Peavey Sarzo :o Love the way it plays and feels. Buggered if I can get a tone I like :(

[quote name='Woodinblack' timestamp='1508448662' post='3392359']
No, it was mentioned quite often - have another read!
[/quote]

May I add that much of the criticism was of the neck for both the Jazz and the Precision. They're like Marmite and Bovril for me. I never got a taste for either of them, not even on toast.